• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sick Dog Racing Jeepspeed Build

ouch! what are you running for rear springs? maybe the droop is putting too much stress on the joints?

There Full traction springs. I need to run through the set up on the rear end again.

that sucks! but hey at least it was out of the garage :yelclap:

It was great to get it out running. I thought it ran pretty good. I really like the RADesign shifter. Real slick shifter. Im thinking about fliping the shift pattern.

It was great to get it out running. I thought it ran pretty good. I really like the RADesign shifter. Real slick shifter. Im thinking about fliping the shift pattern.

my shift pattern i reversed, it's more comfortable shifting from the bottom to top in my opinion. plus people can't figure out how to drive it cause mines not numbered :gee:

Looks like I'll be out of town on busness. :-(

IMG_20110306_123454.jpg

Might just be the angle of the photo...make sure there is NO WAY for the fuel coming out of that overflow to hit the brake rotor. I've seen fuel splashed on brakes cause a fire. We always route our overflow to exit the very back of the car for that reason. Also sucks to be laying under the car checking something while it is being fueled and suddenly get showered with fuel.

Had you planned on going to the MINT and work popped up? That would of been a bummer if that were the case.

Its a big project up in the Bay area. Just had a few huge set backs. Ive really been on the road monday through friday since mid November. It's all finally catching up with me.

Might just be the angle of the photo...make sure there is NO WAY for the fuel coming out of that overflow to hit the brake rotor. I've seen fuel splashed on brakes cause a fire. We always route our overflow to exit the very back of the car for that reason. Also sucks to be laying under the car checking something while it is being fueled and suddenly get showered with fuel.

Yea your right. I had a couple people ask me about that as well when I was testing. I will be changing this before the next test session. Thanks for the concerns.

not too shabby. i'm from oregon and love the dunes up there but have always wanted to build a pre-runner.

never thought about it before but i suppose mine looks a little poser-ish
sorry about image size
33712_1642706033420_1409933511_1709296_2543944_n.jpg

180868_1836748684365_1409933511_2104428_2159739_n.jpg

my dad's been building sand rails for 40+ years

dad4.jpg

and about 10 years ago i was old enough to get in on the mix

07-08-10_1049.jpg

07-08-10_1839.jpg

07-08-10_1840.jpg

07-10-10_1001.jpg

IMG_3339.jpg

and in 06 when i helped my dad build his new buggy he said if i give him the engine out of my camaro that he would give me his '02

score!

IMG00320.jpg

we've kicked around thoughts of building a jumper but they're just a bunch of old farts.

the weight distribution on mine is superb though, have done 60+ through the woops.

i've seen plenty of bent, bare tubing and your work is at the top 99%

great job,

there isn't anything like it when you're out enjoying something that you've put so much work into.

i know this thread is nearly finished but....

SUBSCRIBED!!!

I've been troubled with trying to wire the 88 AW4 trans to a 97 wire loom. I also wanted to be able to control shift points manually. Spending a thousand dollars on a manual valve body wasn't an option. I thought I'd give RADsigns Products a call. Rory DesJardin recommended the Baja shifter for my build. So I just received my new Baja shifter and I'm ready to install it.
IMG_20110115_204621.jpg

How do you like the Baja shifter? i think it seems like a pretty worth while upgrade, aside from just being downright cool.

How do you like the Baja shifter? i think it seems like a pretty worth while upgrade, aside from just being downright cool.

Very very cool in deed. It is worth every penney you will spend. It will take the AW4 to as close to a full manuel valve body as you can get without spending $1K for the valve body.

i've seen plenty of bent, bare tubing and your work is at the top 99%

great job,

there isn't anything like it when you're out enjoying something that you've put so much work into.

i know this thread is nearly finished but....

SUBSCRIBED!!!

Thanks

I really like this picture. The big guy in the back looks like he just shat him self....

wheely.jpg

lol its actually not that bad unless you start to get stuck on a hill or you mis feather the throttle and the nose comes down too hard. you've never seen a sand wall so big, up close, and all up in yo' grill.

out of curiousity, i can't remember which page it was discussed on but there was some disagreement in regards to whether or not a sway bar was helpful or a hinderance

would not the valving of the shocks and spring rates in conjunction with terrain make the determination of the effectiveness and/or necessity of running a sway bar?

Last edited:
would not the valving of the shocks and spring rates in conjunction with terrain make the determination of the effectiveness and/or necessity of running a sway bar?

WHat you said.

Stiffer shocks only go so far in controlling body roll, though. If you maintain a lateral acceleration (long fast curve) long enough, it will push through the compression of the shock and lean on the spring, unloading the inside tires some.
Stiffer springs would make for less roll, I think, but sacrifice some ride / flex.
A sway bar lets you run softer springs / shocks and keep roll to a minimum in cornering. On uneven bumps and in the rocks it will hinder suspension flex but in theory should add stability. I haven't disconnected mine recently so can't say for sure if this is born out in reality.

I think a tunable / disconnecting sway bar is the best option. Being a cheap skate, I just leave mine connected.

ok so the disagreement could have just been due to their different setups, one calling for a sway bar, the other deeming it un necessary.

something i'm going to have go keep in mind.

Back