• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I have shot them?

Stumpalump

NAXJA Forum User
Woke up at noon to hear a dog comotion in my yard. Two collered black labs were attacking my kids bunny cage. They pushed down a fence and riped the leg off one and killed it. The other was saved in a nick of time. The dogs seemed well kept except for running loose and they responded to "Bad Dog". The left when I said that. County says I could have killed them because they killed my kids animal. What would you have done shot them or let them run? Poor bunny rabbit, what a way to die. RIP Floyd.

Stumpalump said:
Woke up at noon to hear a dog comotion in my yard. Two collered black labs were attacking my kids bunny cage. They pushed down a fence and riped the leg off one and killed it. The other was saved in a nick of time. The dogs seemed well kept except for running loose and they responded to "Bad Dog". The left when I said that. County says I could have killed them because they killed my kids animal. What would you have done shot them or let them run? Poor bunny rabbit, what a way to die. RIP Floyd.

Was your rabbit worth more than the dogs? Around here, a dog is personal property. Even if it's on your property, if you kill it you might owe the owner it's monetary value in civil court. But if your rabbit was worth more than the dogs, their owner might end up owing you. Wouldn't that be sweet justice.

I think I only would have shot them if they came at me or the family. I think there would be a lot of questions if rounds started coming downrange in my backyard over two dogs and a rabbit cage.

I agree with both of you. The county animal controll told me I could shoot them but I like dogs more than rabits and dogs will be dogs if they get loose. I think if they would have not put their tails down when I yelled at them I would have gotten mad and hit them with the 22. Reminds me.. I have some tiny .22 bird shot I'll load up in case they come back. Don't laugh, that .22 shotshell hits more than you think.

Stumpalump said:
I agree with both of you. The county animal controll told me I could shoot them but I like dogs more than rabits and dogs will be dogs if they get loose. I think if they would have not put their tails down when I yelled at them I would have gotten mad and hit them with the 22. Reminds me.. I have some tiny .22 bird shot I'll load up in case they come back. Don't laugh, that .22 shotshell hits more than you think.

If you want to be humane, and depending on what time of day it is, hit them with a spot light - million candle power or better. They hate that. They won't do chit if they can't see.

pack your own rock salt rounds, ive been hit with a couple of em playing in farms where i shouldnt have been (in my "drink and party in the cornfield" years, lol). it hurts like a mofo and burns for about an hour, but its not lethal.

Nope - I wouldn't advocate shooting a pair of domestic dogs for doing what dogs do. Unless they didn't respond as they did - if they were predatory and too focused on the attack, I'd have popped a round into the ground and if that didn't send 'em running, then they'd probably get shot at. But to blanketly say that they should be shot - nah.

Do something like what's already been suggested. Get diversionary tactics ready. Big noise, bright lights..... another thing to have handy would be one of those water/compressed air fire extinguishers. I have one and it packs a punch - used to do water fights with 'em as kids - it'll sting ya pretty good.

Last edited:
Do you know who owns the dogs?

File a report with the county animal agency/sheriff.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with dogs running loose attacking other animals.

up near my home its more or less if its in my yard and attacking my animal it will die, no questions asked. but then again I have a 7 foot fence and 4 dogs that would make the attacking dogs think twice before coming in.

I love dogs and have a black lab myself that thinks all small animals are chew toys. It would be a hard decision for me to shoot one (any dog). I would if I had to though.
That being said. Pretty much every municipality in the country has a leash law now. As far as I'm concerned if they're off the leash or out of the yard they're fair game when they're becoming a problem. The leash law is what will save your ass if you do shoot one.

On a side note, A .22 rat shot on a full grown lab may scare them off, but it could also piss them off in a bad way. If you going to shoot one just kill it. Don't maime it and leave it hurt.

A picture/vid of the dogs near the bunny cage should be plenty of evidence to help the owner of the dogs assume responsibility. All the better if you know who the owner is. If he's a good guy, he'll apologize to your son and offer to replace the rabbit.......if he's not, then press the police/animal control to cite him.

If the dogs return.........move swift and silent.

living on a ranch i have to deal with this on a regular basis. i would have shot them dead. next time it might be your kids there chewing on. another thing that works very well is a paintball gun. crank up the velocity and let fly and fast as you can hit them. most of the time they won't come back.

slider said:
living on a ranch i have to deal with this on a regular basis. i would have shot them dead. next time it might be your kids there chewing on. another thing that works very well is a paintball gun. crank up the velocity and let fly and fast as you can hit them. most of the time they won't come back.
I may use this in a discussion with my wife as a pro for owning a paintball gun! Damn cats won't leave my dogs alone! And I could shoot them off my neighbors roof when they spotlight themselves like in a shooting galery!:firedevil

XJumpmaster said:
I may use this in a discussion with my wife as a pro for owning a paintball gun! Damn cats won't leave my dogs alone! And I could shoot them off my neighbors roof when they spotlight themselves like in a shooting galerie!:firedevil

the paintball gun sends a message to the owner too. it tells them "i could have been worse, keep them home" send the cat home green or yellow or pink.

I too, like Slider, live on a farm/ranch. If I have a problem with an animal, domesticated or not, it will meet the fate of my silver seeded bird feeder (shotgun). If it is out of range for a shotgun, then I bet ya that it is not out of the range of my .22-250 or 7 MAG. It is not that I am an inhumane bastard, but animals are like people, there are good ones and bad ones, and the bad ones get shot on my property! I used to be city-fied and tried living next to neighbors...I had one neighbor who's dog tore and chewed its way through my brand new privacy fence and tore up $2000 worth our our pool equipment (and the owner would not pay even a cent, not even after we brought them to court). It is amazing what a hotdog full of rat poison lobbed over the fence can do.....no more barky barky !!!:firedevil

on a tangent...if three rabbits were eating all my moms flowers in our flower bed in our backyard and i live in a neighborhood with a golf course right behind my fence (not a wood fence you can see through it) and i had to get rid of them, how would you do it.

oh ya...my dad said i couldnt use the 22 because it would be too loud and we dont have a trap anymore becuase my dog used to take care of all the animals that would come in our yard (opossums, armadillos, rabbits, squirrels etc.) but he died about a year ago.

BTW I already took care of them with my bow and arrows

you could have dug some punji pits and sabatoged them, or you could have made a flaming moat around the flowerbeds or you could have filled a canvas sack full of carrots, b/c rabbits like carrots, and then trap them and beat them with a 5 lb. hand sledge....

iluv83vettes said:
on a tangent...if three rabbits were eating all my moms flowers in our flower bed in our backyard and i live in a neighborhood with a golf course right behind my fence (not a wood fence you can see through it) and i had to get rid of them, how would you do it.

oh ya...my dad said i couldnt use the 22 because it would be too loud and we dont have a trap anymore becuase my dog used to take care of all the animals that would come in our yard (opossums, armadillos, rabbits, squirrels etc.) but he died about a year ago.

BTW I already took care of them with my bow and arrows
sounds like you did what id do

XJumpmaster said:
I may use this in a discussion with my wife as a pro for owning a paintball gun! Damn cats won't leave my dogs alone! And I could shoot them off my neighbors roof when they spotlight themselves like in a shooting galery!:firedevil

Damn cats won't leave your dogs alone? Are you talking cats, or cougars?

Dog had a possum cornered last spring. A Louisville Slugger did the trick.

On the general topic of nuisance animals: When your wife wakes you up at 01:00 complaining she can't sleep 'cause of the tree frog outside the window, get the flashlight, go out in the backyard in your underwear and hunt the sucker down, sling it down on the patio so it makes a little 'pop' sound and let the dog eat it.

Back