• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shopping for a mountain bike...

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for any input on a good entry level style mountain bike. I've been wanting to get back into biking and a friend is up for it so I am going to take the plunge and get into a nice bike.

I don't need anything crazy over the top but I don't like buying junk either. We are looking at very beginner dirt trails and I'd also like to ride it on pavement. I am a big guy and I am planning a hardtail for sure. What are the good bikes to check out, is $400 a reasonable pricing point?

I was planning on buying new(maybe a model thats a few years old even) but I am considering used to save. I just don't know what to look for on a used bike. Someone could strip all the components off and replace them with walmart parts and I wouldn't notice ha.

My first bike was an entry level Trek. I think you can find a quality bike you'll be happy with for $500.

Buying used is also an excellent option, considering a lot of people with more money than brains will buy very expensive bikes and never use them.

With more money, comes higher level components. I've always used Shimano drive components, but there are several companies out there. Do some research and pay attention to the big ticket items, crankset, derailleurs, shifters, brakes, front fork.

Go to a bike shop and get fitted. Ride a bunch of bikes around. Ask a lot of questions. Most bike shops I've been in don't just want to sell you a bike, they want to sell you the right bike. The more comfortable you are when you ride, the more you're going to want to ride and the more money you'll spend in the bike shop.

Be prepared to spend some cash on a quality helmet, shorts, gloves, etc. I prefer the cargo shorts with a padded liner, since nobody needs to see me in spandex.

I've had bad experiences with the local shops so I was really hoping to have a firm idea what I wanted before going in there and being sold on something.

I am debating on going 29r. A lot of people say go 29r others say no way unless you are 6' tall the 29r will be a hassle. I am only 5'9" so 29r and 29r seems like the wheels would be huge, even with a proper frame size those are some massive wheels.

So far I am pretty solid on going with a specialized hardrock maybe with disc brake setup. I saw a shop saying the front forks are spec'd to the rider, will the shop really spec it out or are the forks just adjustable on that bike. It would be sweet to go in and have them put the big boy springs in it for me ha.

I've heard very good things about the 29's. It's got nothing to do with how tall you are. Your saddle height is determined by the distance from the saddle to the crankset.

It's a shame that you have a lousy shop near you. If I were you, I would browse some mountain bike message boards and talk to some people who ride a lot. That's going to get you much better opinions than the ones us part timers have.

I've heard very good things about the 29's. It's got nothing to do with how tall you are. Your saddle height is determined by the distance from the saddle to the crankset.

That is what I was thinking also but in the reviews I have been reading I've seen a few people mention that the 29r was a problem because of their height...

The 29r model is another 100 bucks, seems like a lot for bigger wheels, it's a hard choice now ha.

I test rode a 29er but I didn't like it because of the lack of agility when compared to a 26". It is an easier bike to ride over harder obstacles due to the size of the tire. In order to fit 29" rims on an MTB they need to redesign the entire frame and give it different geometry. That's where the increase in price comes into effect.

You also want to take into consideration whether or not you plan on upgrading things like the suspension, wheels, etc. A 29er is going to be considerately more expensive because it is a fairly new design and some companies just started manufacturing parts for them in the last few years.

I've heard they flat leave people on 26's behind.

I think the only people who would have issues with one would be someone who wasn't fitted properly. Obviously, if you're 5'2, you're going to have issues on any bike.

I've never ridden one, but one of the guys at work has one and the difference is obvious. I don't think $100 is too much to spend for that kind of option.

I rode a bike that I got a good deal on, an early full suspension, but the frame size was too big. I lumbered on that thing for a year before I sold it. Climbing back on my trek was like trading an SUV in for a ferrari. Riding the right size bike means a lot.

I have a dual slalom hardtail frame right now that I built with disc brakes 9 years ago and it still rides great. I don't put a ton of miles on it, but it works really well for me. If I was going to buy a new bike, I'd buy a full suspension one. The technology advances over the past 10 years have been amazing.

I test rode a 29er but I didn't like it because of the lack of agility when compared to a 26". It is an easier bike to ride over harder obstacles due to the size of the tire. In order to fit 29" rims on an MTB they need to redesign the entire frame and give it different geometry. That's where the increase in price comes into effect.

You also want to take into consideration whether or not you plan on upgrading things like the suspension, wheels, etc. A 29er is going to be considerately more expensive because it is a fairly new design and some companies just started manufacturing parts for them in the last few years.

That makes sense. For future upgrades I am not planning anything at all, it will be my first mountain bike since I was a teenager. If I settle into biking I would likely step up to a better bike later on when needed rather than upgrading my first bike but who knows.

I again will not be doing any major obstacles or hardcore trails, beginner level all the way so maybe I should stick with the 26" and plan a 29r next. I am planning a trip to a shop this week so I will be checking them out in person too.

As others have said, getting fitted is your most important thing. Absolutely. If the guy/gal at the bike shop doesn't take a loose saddle and jam it up in your crotch with a tape measure in the other hand (measuring your cycling inseam), they don't know what they are doing. A proper fitment goes much further into just selecting the frame size. your crank arms and pedal choice affect your pedal stroke. The majority of your comfort is going to come from the stem length and angle, get that wrong and your back will gladly let you know.

Choosing which brand you are going to go with in the long run doesn't really matter. Whats more important is that you get a good deal at a local shop who can put you on the bike that works for you. All the brands are pretty much going to have the same models at the same price with the same components. The one caveat is that I would stay away from brands who slather their own cheap parts on the bike (Trek).

The Specialized Hardrock, or similar model from a competitor, sounds like it should be right up your alley. Good solid bike that won't break your budget, that you can try out the sport and see if you like it. Honestly, I think 90% of riders out there need nothing more.

If you are looking into the sport for fitness and something fun, a hardtail is perfect. A full suspension is a bigger price tag, more maintenance, much harder to set up right, and can take a lot out of you if you are riding fast non-technical trails.

Don't feel too bad about the local bike shops either, it's unfortunately quite hard to find a shop you like. For some reason many employees can come across stuck-up and not helpful if you are anything less than a competitive racer, or otherwise "in" the cool group. Take some time to find one you do like, even if it means driving a bit. You will be there a lot, and having a helpful shop can keep you happy and in the game.

Have a great time riding and good luck! I'm not quite your "part timer" when it comes to cycling. Feel free to ask questions.

As a guy who used to ride everyday (13 years ago.. work and kids now...) Find a solid frame that you feel comfortable on. As stated ask as many questions as you can... My first mtb was a bianchi that I got from a mechanic at a local shop.
Try to look at it like a cherokee. Keep it stock at first and as your skill and enjoyment progress, then so will your options.
Some thing that I found and I believe is often overlooked is that when you learn on a hardtail your going to end up a better rider. A hardtail forces you to look ahead on the trail and pick your line before you get to it. Its the difference in learning to drive a full blown race rig to learning in an xj.

I'd start out with the $500 range. Fuji is a decent bike, and so is TREK and Cannondale. I personally ride Marin on my personal bike. The Nail Trail is pretty good model. At work I ride the Trek Police Model. It's a $1000 bike but it's pretty sweet.

We also have Cannondales that from the last year they were still built in the US. Disks and and Continental Town and Country tires. Town and Country's are probly the best hybrid tire out there. But like the other guys said, Proper sizing is very important.

Last edited:
for 4-500 you definitely want something secondhand. the components at that price point are junk on most big-name bikes new. you're in AZ, what kinda trails are you running? idk what the terrain is like out there. i'm assuming you want a hardtail? if you want to run on the road as well, try and find a fork with a lockout (to turn the suspension off... makes on road use a LOT nicer). btw, i'm a huge fan of a 29er, but i like doing dirt jumps every so often and the 29 is way too clumsy for that. 29s are FAST and not as 'hard-to-handle' as they use to be. any trek/fisher 29er has great geometry, they started the 29" wheels thing.

I've pretty much ruled out buying used unless I find someone I know(or on a local forum I go to) who is selling, not a random person. I browsed craigslist a bit and the bikes are all over priced and I don't want something that has already been beaten. Also it would be my luck to pick up a big name bike only to find out someone replaced all the components with junk. Plus, it seems the general rule is to get the right fitment. Buying a used bike would not allow me to get fitted.

I am seeing last years model specialized hardrock disc 29r for under $500 local so that is really top of my list or skip the 29r and drop down to $375-$400 range.

I am seeing last years model specialized hardrock disc 29r for under $500 local so that is really top of my list or skip the 29r and drop down to $375-$400 range.

That's not bad.. Now is the best time to buy anyway. And fitment isn't a huge concern on a mtb.. Yes it has to fit you, but it's not a road bike that needs a custom fitting.

I bought my bike today. I had a ho-hum experience at the bike shop as expected but they had what I wanted on hand and they were close so I bought it there.

I got a 2012 specialized hardrock disc 29r in black/red for $520 out the door, which isn't bad I think. I was hoping for a previous year model for cheaper but in the end it was about what I was expecting to pay but a year newer. I called around and no shop had any previous year models left, they said those were long gone so it was current year or used.

First impression, good lord those are some damn big wheels! I rode a little at a buddies house with like just random desert terrain and going over bumps the wheels just go up and over stuff like nothing. On the road I was just flying, a few hard pedals and I would over take and pass my buddy like he was standing still.

The bike is really light and the frame seems beefy, the front suspension is pretty stiff, I wasn't having any problem that I noticed with it the first time tooling around. The gears shift like butter, I was amazed how smooth the gears shifting up or down. I was having fun locking up the disc brakes in the sand/dirt and power sliding around.

The only downside is with those massive wheels it barely fit in the XJ, I need a hitch rack for sure or maybe since its light it'll go on the roof.

My last mountain bike was a Huffy Dirt Water so I have come a long way I think for sure.

I rock a Specialized FSR Pro Comp and LOVE IT....granted its not anywhere near your price point but you might be able to find a used one for that much! Pretty light full suspension set up and tough as shit! I beat the hell out of mine and it just keeps on rocking! (with regular maintenance) All in all a good bike.

Anyone have a particular bike light setup(head/tail) they can recommend? I am looking for something to light me up for safety and not so much for actual headlight use. I am looking at amazon and they have tons and of course the reviews vary wildly.

I was liking the Blackburn click lights, they are tiny and seem bright enough for safety. However, they use expensive watch batteries that cost almost as much as the lights do. I want either common AAA/AA or built in rechargeable.

Back