• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

setting caster/pinion angles on a low pinion d60

Vanimal

NAXJA Forum User
i have a front low pinion dana 60 i'm going to be putting in my xj. it's driver drop. i'm at about 6.5" of lift and i need to figure out what angle to weld the inner c's on in relation to the housing. cant find much info on low pinion d60's in cherokees. the front axle is pushed forward about 2" if that matters.

Your best bet is just sliding it under and checking it for yourself. Too many drivetrain combinations that require different pinion angles.

What is the D60 out of? Dodge?

i was hoping you wouldnt say that lol
yep, dodge, shortened with the cast CAD section removed. i know it isnt a kingpin hp d60 so i'm not cool, but it was 100 bucks disk to disk lol

Low pinion? I thought all the driver drop balljoint dodge 60s were high pinion. The more ya know...

It's too bad you aren't closer, I've got a passenger drop kingpin one minus brakes/spindles I'm trying to unload that would be an awesome excuse to install a doubler and a d300 as well. Hell I'd probably even trade it for that dana 43 you built!

damn that would have been killer lol
the difference between low and high pinion on a d60 is like 1" or so, barely anything, so i wasn't terribly worried about it. once i change the pinion angle, it'll probably be closer to only a 1/2" lower at the yoke. i'm still going to be on the coast side of the gears, but from what i've heard, shouldnt matter much. i'm mainly doing it to match the rear bolt pattern, and so i have the bigger u joints, since that's what i typically break in the front.

It's actually 2.25" (dana 60 hypoid offset is 1 1/8", one below one above CL) difference from a high to a low pinion but yeah, not a big deal at all. Nothing like a ford 9 or 8.8 (2.25" and 1.5" hypoid offset, respectively) that's for sure.

I hit my high pinion yoke/upper pinion housing are all the time even though its higher up. while the axle is apart getting geared, weld a pinion skid lip to the housing. I wish I did when mine was apart, I guess I could make a bolt on one but its easier/more compact to weld a small skid on. leave the inner c's tacked on at a little more angle then stock so you can adjust if need be. when you do final teardown, thats the time to weld the axle stuff.

I hit my high pinion yoke/upper pinion housing are all the time even though its higher up. while the axle is apart getting geared, weld a pinion skid lip to the housing. I wish I did when mine was apart, I guess I could make a bolt on one but its easier/more compact to weld a small skid on. leave the inner c's tacked on at a little more angle then stock so you can adjust if need be. when you do final teardown, thats the time to weld the axle stuff.
thanks for the tips! i probably could figure the pinion angle out if i do some math based on my d44. guess it wouldnt be too hard now that i think about it.

This is one of those things where even as a math/engineering nerd, I prefer to test fit it and then tack it in and weld it instead of trying to figure it out with math.

WAY easier, way more likely to get it right the first time.

edit: I think you should go the other way on this one. Take the outers, balljoints, and inner Cs off the 60, attach to a 30 housing. Install 30 spline inner shafts and a 30 spline d30 locker. :spin1:

This is one of those things where even as a math/engineering nerd, I prefer to test fit it and then tack it in and weld it instead of trying to figure it out with math.

WAY easier, way more likely to get it right the first time.

edit: I think you should go the other way on this one. Take the outers, balljoints, and inner Cs off the 60, attach to a 30 housing. Install 30 spline inner shafts and a 30 spline d30 locker. :spin1:
hmm i was going to put d30 outers on the 60. they'll fit on 3.125" tubes, right? :D

the difference between your diff cover and where you need your knuckles to be is 16 degrees on that axle and lift height. I know because im using the same one on my build.

Friggin awesome, thanks dude! I think gasman linked me to your build, looks good man.

Maybe a dumb question but why not flip the center section? Not worth the inch or two?

Just wondering because the C's are off and you retubed the 44 so its not out of you comfort zone.

Shutup Ross you dont even wheel.

Maybe a dumb question but why not flip the center section? Not worth the inch or two?

Just wondering because the C's are off and you retubed the 44 so its not out of you comfort zone.

Can't. Oiling for the outer pinion bearing is in a different spot.

Yeah, the oil channeling on a high pinion is specifically designed so the rotation of the carrier flings oil up into the pinion bearing housing. On a low pinion housing it is set up differently since the pinion is basically in lube at all times. Flipping a housing will result in pinion bearings burning up very quickly...

Friggin awesome, thanks dude! I think gasman linked me to your build, looks good man.

thanks for the compliment, Gasman lives just done the road from me and we wheel together.

i may copy my build over to here when i get time.

Yeah, the oil channeling on a high pinion is specifically designed so the rotation of the carrier flings oil up into the pinion bearing housing. On a low pinion housing it is set up differently since the pinion is basically in lube at all times. Flipping a housing will result in pinion bearings burning up very quickly...

Ah, didn't think of that in a cast center section.

Back