• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Searching for 3D CAD Drawing of an XJ, preferrably Wagoneer

child9

NAXJA Forum User
Hello fellow Jeepers,

I need something a little different than the normal request.

I'm looking for a good dimensionally accurate 3D model of a pre-97 XJ, preferably the Wagoneer variant.

I'm am designing a modular integrated armor system and it's time to start building it in Solidworks.

I've seen the other threads from years past, so I know this has been attempted before. I have also searched and found various models on the NET, but have been unable to contact the artists and verify any type of actual dimensional accuracy.

I'm hoping that someone in this community will have access to a model in Iges, STL, parasolid, or any other file type that SW will open. I'll acquire file conversion software if absolutely needed.

Thanks again for any assistance, and happy trails.

The only physical difference between the waggy and the standard XJ body is the design of the front clip, for what it sounds like you are doing that shouldn't matter.

if you want to start from scratch here is a factory diagram I found of the framerails of an XJ

ResizeofFRAMEmmtopx.jpg

Hmmmm... I might need to go look at my Jeep again...but I'm pretty sure it's a unibody. It shouldn't have "frame rails".

If it is accurate then I need to know the relationship between the body and the "frame" as well.

The reason the Wagoneer XJ model would be preferred is purely for imagery reasons...geometrically it should not differ from the regular XJ, we are agreed.

Last edited:
To my knowledge, no dimensionally accurate CAD model of the XJ has been dumped into the public domain.

There are several google 3d warehouse models in .skp, if you have the import module to translate sketchup. These particular polygonal models are likely loosely measured. If I was at work I could open these in Right Hemisphere and see what unit system and how tight the dimensions are.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=f2e1db1997b5e2568926f812d9083f89&prevstart=0

This XJ model seems the least tampered with. It isn't going to have any details like 2 and 3 layer sheet metal welds, rockers, frame rails and floor pans.

You're likely going to have to build a solid model from a cloud of measurements you take yourself. Tons of measuring.

Hmmmm... I might need to go look at my Jeep again...but I'm pretty sure it's a unibody. It shouldn't have "frame rails".
It is a unibody, but this isnt a semi monocoque airplane, theres frame rails, if you dont beleive, checkout pics from people who are doing rust repair, you'll see the frame rails are U shaped peices, with legs at the ends of the U, spot welded to the rest of the unibody.

It is a unibody, but this isnt a semi monocoque airplane, theres frame rails, if you dont beleive, checkout pics from people who are doing rust repair, you'll see the frame rails are U shaped peices, with legs at the ends of the U, spot welded to the rest of the unibody.

^what he said. the "frame" is welded to the body, and that diagram appears to be out of a factory spec sheet, I would guess it to be pretty accurate.

Alright, I get ya now. I never thought of those as frame rails, but we're just getting into semantics on that. That is good info, and when I couple that with some other measurements I should be able to accurately nail down the dimensions I need to build the armor. Thanks for that diagram Grimm.

There is a Jeep cherokee xj. Mod for my old Need for Speed game. You might be able to open it in autoCAD or other 3d program. But its probablynotas detailed as you wouold like.

Back