• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

School me on Motorcycle and CDL endorsements.....

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Call these "bucket list" items if you will. I have ridden street cruisers and trail bikes before but never got my endorsement. There have been a limited few occasions where I could have bought a bike or two at auction to flip and didn't because "legally" I can't ride. I may find myself wanting to keep a cheap bobber or cruiser around in the future but I figure the endorsement can't hurt in the meantime.

What does it take to get the endorsement these days? Is there a process that's better than others? I know the riding classes are all independant so I'm sure there is a bit of differences among them...... Recommendations?

Also, I've always wanted to know how to drive the big rigs. My uncle did it for many years but it was before I was 16 so I never got to have him teach me. Same thing.... What's it entail these days and what things should I look for when looking for driving instruction?

When I got my motorcycle endorsement I took the motorcycle safety class and, once you complete that, you just go to the DMV and it's yours. I thought it was a great class and I'd do it again.

For motorcycle.
Take the course. All the way. Testing via the dmv is a pita and its ungodly painful. The courses are great, even for experienced riders. Make sure the one you go to supplies bikes. Most MSF courses get you deals on insurance and stuff as well.

CDL ..... If you can avoid it, don't take the class. They are puppy mills of licenses. They push you through and the only goal is to get you to pass a test.
What about a CMV are you trying to learn? You tow enough, it would be a cake walk for you. The gears are easy, and visibility is awesome so real easy to drive. Otherwise it's all just rules and regulations.
As far as testing everyone dicks up the pre trip. Get that down pat and you're fine.

I didn't get my endorsement for the first 5-6 years I rode out here because I was dreading the dmv. I took my written test at the dmv and my riding test at the Harley Davidson dealership...both were quick and pretty easy, I think the written test was harder then the riding test.

I agree with these guys though if I could go back I would have just taken one of the weekend long motorcycle safety courses to get my endorsement. It costs just a little more to go that route but like Mike said they give you insurance breaks for taking that class so it ends up paying for itself

I also recommend the safety class. So much easier than testing at the DMV, plus the class taught me a lot about riding a motorcycle that I didn't know.

I took a class taught by Ricky Orlando and I would highly recommend it again. Successful completion of his beginner class will qualify you for the license.

http://rickyorlando.com

I took my motorcycle test back in high school at the DMV. I always laugh at the fact that you have to ride your motorcycle illegally to the DMV to take the riding part of the test.

I took my motorcycle test back in high school at the DMV. I always laugh at the fact that you have to ride your motorcycle illegally to the DMV to take the riding part of the test.

In Indiana, I rode on a motorcycle's learner permit after taking the written test. The learner's permit had restrictions such as no riding at night, must wear a helmet (Indiana is optional with full endorsement), and no passenger. That's how I rode to the exam. Doesn't Colorado offer the same?

In Indiana, I rode on a motorcycle's learner permit after taking the written test. The learner's permit had restrictions such as no riding at night, must wear a helmet (Indiana is optional with full endorsement), and no passenger. That's how I rode to the exam. Doesn't Colorado offer the same?

Even if it doesn't, the assumption is that you would trailer your bike if you weren't legally allowed to ride there.

Funny story. I took the riding part the first time in 93ish and dropped the bike during the test. The tester lied and told me I had to get 100% and I panicked on the last weave cone because I was going to graze it. Read up on it later and found out something like 80% was passing and I should have just plowed right through that last cone. She told me I failed and watched me pick up the bike and ride away with no permit and no license.

Definitely take the class for your MC endorsement. In fact, I was more worried about keeping that endorsement than my CDL when I moved here.

As for the CDL, unless you're going to get paid to use it, I wouldn't bother. I let mine lapse as I no longer drive a truck, nor plan to. They are fun to drive, especially in the mountains as I miss the challenge and shifting gears but IMHO not worth the hassle of keeping if you're not going to use it.
Anyways, if you do decide to get one, try to find a place that offers OTJ training. Otherwise, you're stuck with the schools. IIRC, you'll have to get a DOT physical then do your test. In4aride is spot on about dicking up the pre-trip inspection. The instructors seem to nail you more for that than when driving the course or doing the road test. Prepare for a colonoscopy from the TSA if you want a Hazmat endorsement.

Great info guys.

Found out today that Harley comps their classes for Law Enforcement so this 4-dag class is a no-brainer. The MC endorsement thing came up because one of my Deputies is putting in for the M/C traffic unit and he needs to get his endorsement. He and I may go together in March to get ours.

As far as the CDL, my Dept has a need for CDL holders as we have heavy equipment for SWAT and Fire that needs trailered so I could put in as a driver for those things. Otherwise a CDL wouldn't see much use by me.

Maybe I should find an independent who would take me to a large lot and just teach me to drive a Semi, rather than go through all the testing, physicals and stuff......

I guess I'm confused on your perspective for training on CMV. Yeah private property can teach you. But most that offer that are the schools. And they are $$$ on top of sucking.

You have to do the physical and stuff even for permit. Dead serious though. Shifting takes about 10 minutes for any competent individual to understand. Otherwise it's real basic driving.
The rules and regs to pass the test is what hangs people up 90% vs the actual driving.

I guess I'm confused on your perspective for training on CMV. Yeah private property can teach you......

What I meant was....... I mostly just wanna drive a big rig for the bucket list experience. To say I've done it kinda thing. But having the official CDL isn't something I'm opposed to. So the private property thing simply accomplishes the bucket list part........Ya dig?

I wanna understand air brakes, how to inspect the rig and trailer, the systems in general that differ from cars and trucks, I wanna park one, back up a 50'+ trailer........that kind of stuff. OTR could be a good retirement gig...... never know.

I'd ask your FD then. There is usually one of the FD guys that is an instructor / tester for cdl for PD and city workers. That's likely most accessible way to you.
I can walk you through a semi and the systems pretty quick, air brakes are cake.

FD = fire dept?

I'd ask your FD then. There is usually one of the FD guys that is an instructor / tester for cdl for PD and city workers. That's likely most accessible way to you.
I can walk you through a semi and the systems pretty quick, air brakes are cake.

I recommend the same thing. Fire apparatus are going to be the same in terms of airbrakes, etc. Minus the trailer. It's been years since I've taken the test but basically I walked around the truck with the instructor and pointed at and explained to the instructor what I would check and why.

If the PD and FD need someone to haul their equipment, they should be able to train you and you should be able to use their rig. Though the trainers should get hazard pay.LOL. Once the department I worked for found out I had a CDL and knew how to drive a 13 speed, I was stuck teaching rookies how to drive an ancient tanker that had a Detroit Diesel with no turbo and couldn't get out of its own way going downhill. That thing was a pig.

^ yep. Should be a simple request to get some time with one. When I worked for Co springs the FD is who trained and tested us.

I carried a CDL for years and used it to drive school bus for the private school my kids went to. I got tired of the expense of keeping up the physical and such.

I grew up driving big stuff on the ranch and my uncles hauling business. The driving test was over an hour long. He ran me all over northern Colorado. When we got back to the starting point, I had to parallel park a 66 passenger bus. I didn't get it perfect, but the guy later told me that my score was better because I was close and I didn't screw around a bunch of times.

The most interesting thing was that I had about 15 minutes in the bus before testing. I had to make a sharp right turn and put the right rear tire 6-12" from the apex of the curb. Not having a ton of wheel time made it a bit tough to judge, but I pulled it off good enough I guess.

They required me to provide the vehicle and of a type that I was going to be operating, so unless you have access to one, you will probably have to do the school route.

]

Troy you obviosly do not understand Retirement!

Well, what I NOW understand about retirement is that I should have gone military career...... If I'd have only known when I was 18 what I know now. :banghead:

My current retirement outlook is working until 65 at my current job...... or moving on to something else.

All I have is a 401K "savings account" that exists at the mercy of the economy.

Back