• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Scangauge II setups

I don't think the overhead console's MPG display is based on the fuel level sender. It may take that into consideration (doubt that because its not that precise). I do know that it is based on the fuel injector pulse width and the vehicle speed sensor.

It probably just uses that to "trim" the values given by the computer... even the stock overhead computer gives fuel economy numbers, I always figured it was determined using the fuel injector info. I didn't set any options for the fuel tank info in my scangauge II and it was still giving decent estimates.

The ECU knows what temp and pressure the incoming air is at, and what the composition of the exhaust gas is, as well as the expected/assumed fuel pressure, injector flow rate, and injector pulse length, so I see no reason why it couldn't figure out the amount of gas it was using.

I don't think the ECU gives a direct mpg number to the Scanguage or the overhead console

It probably just uses that to "trim" the values given by the computer... even the stock overhead computer gives fuel economy numbers, I always figured it was determined using the fuel injector info. I didn't set any options for the fuel tank info in my scangauge II and it was still giving decent estimates.

The ECU knows what temp and pressure the incoming air is at, and what the composition of the exhaust gas is, as well as the expected/assumed fuel pressure, injector flow rate, and injector pulse length, so I see no reason why it couldn't figure out the amount of gas it was using.

I don't think the overhead console's MPG display is based on the fuel level sender. It may take that into consideration (doubt that because its not that precise). I do know that it is based on the fuel injector pulse width and the vehicle speed sensor.

Hmmmmm .... OK .. that all makes sense ..... I can live with that :)

The "other stuff" mentioned in my post being more relevant than the tank sender unit. ;)

Lots of references in the scangauge manual about "current tank of fuel" info, etc., ... and I was only really interested reading about Loop Change display and available Temperature displays.

On reading it again .... the guestimates of tank range, how long to empty etc ... are based on the "economy" figures .....

The economy figures would be best derived as per kastein's and Talyns's info.

Seems to be such an addiction to wanting to monitor fuel use tho ???

A tank of fuel will provide X amount of distance for a given driving distance relevant to the conditions ....... If the conditions and distance are the same as what last weeks vehicle use was ......... and it cost the same amount of gallons to fill up the tank both weeks ... theres no issue.

I drive 140miles to the nearest decent sized town for amenities ... cruise around all day shopping for bits .... and come home. As long as the gauge still shows half full before the return journey ... thats about my only interest in fuel consumption.

Now if I had a Prius or something that was going to save the planet .... I would want a scangauge to ensure - that the promised mileage of an overpriced treehugger car was being delivered .... :laugh:

Now if I had a Prius or something that was going to save the planet .... I would want a scangauge to ensure - that the promised mileage of an overpriced treehugger car was being delivered .... :laugh:

Would a Prius survive Australia's outback though? :D

Would a Prius survive Australia's outback though? :D

heh heh ... there was a time when road conditions were really tough and a sturdy vehicle was required for travel .......

These were a favourite for a long time .... http://vwkombi.com/photos/around-australia/Pages/4.html ... ( not mine )

Now conditions have improved .... we can even use Jeeps ..... :roflmao:

Prius will be fine ... for those too lazy to walk a short distance to work ... but want to feel good about themselves ... ;)

:cheers:

Last edited:
Prius will be fine ... for those too lazy to walk a short distance to work ... but want to feel good about themselves ... ;)

Hahahaha! Thats funny right there!

I drive 140miles to the nearest decent sized town for amenities ... cruise around all day shopping for bits .... and come home. As long as the gauge still shows half full before the return journey ... thats about my only interest in fuel consumption.
Yikes. Do you keep extra gas on hand for emergencies? Is there a gas station closer than that? With my '96 I'd only have enough to make one round trip!

Yikes. Do you keep extra gas on hand for emergencies? Is there a gas station closer than that? With my '96 I'd only have enough to make one round trip!

Sorry ... By a town with amenities ... I meant somewhere with more than one fuel outlet ... and bulk steel / hardware supplies ... and a Jeep dealer ... that sort of thing.

Theres plenty of close by, small communities, selling day to day essentials & extras .... but any of us with a few acres, keep a few gallons laying about.

We aren't as backward as some of the tourist advertising or crocodile dundee / crikey, movies would have you believe either ........ altho there is probably a few places that could be used for a remake of the "deliverance" movie .... :laugh:

Sorry to the OP too ... for hijacking ya thread. :eek:

Yeah sure you guys aren't backwards as hell! :D Don't worry about the hijack.....happens all the time. :cheers:

We aren't as backward as some of the tourist advertising or crocodile dundee / crikey, movies would have you believe either.

You do seem to enjoy sporty RWD coupe's and sedans because they keep selling Holden (and HSV stuff) as well as the rear drive Falcons.

I like the G8 (VE Commodore) so much that I have one. It just didn't catch on here in the states and sales of the Commodore in one year matched what was sold in the US in 2.5 model years. So they are definitely popular there, and we don't know a fun car when it slaps us in the face. That is all, I had to say it.

Scanguage works well in the G8 GT, just to stay kinda on topic. :D

Is anyone having issues with there SGII? I have a 2000 XJ and my SGII times out and shuts off after a while. Also it does not properly clear codes. I talked to SG and they sent me a new board (they said they have had issues with the Jeeps and timing out). The new board got a little better time before it shut down, but the problem is still there.

I haven't used it to clear codes in a year or so, but it does occasionally power off while driving. Tap a button and it comes right back, so I've just been living with it.

Mine does that too. its no big deal its still keeping track of stuff with the display off.

Mine will time out. Clears codes okay. Doesn't bother me too much though I have been tempted to call them on it. But if it's a common problem no huge use to.

Mine has never cleared codes, tried a bunch of times but they stay put. Occasionally turns off the engine light but the codes stay. It won't even read the codes correctly, starts to show the code but goes blank. I use a normal handheld scanner to read and clear the codes. On the odd occasion, the reader shuts off but press a button and it's back. Mine is around 3 or 4 years old.

Where do you guys have your scan gauges mounted? They are so Damn awkward to they only place I found was on the center console infront of the trans shifter.

Had mine jammed between the A pillar and the dash for a while, but moved it to the top of the dash above the radio with a piece of velcro I had there from a bluetooth GPS receiver.

While mine isn't a scan gauge, I mounted it to the side of the rear view mirror using a RAM mount. Another nice option is the Blend Mount, but that a bit high on $$$. Another option is to make a mount or find something like an Apexi SAFC II mount and put it on the empty spot on the dash under the a-pillar.

Back