• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running street tires??

jeeperscreeper

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone run street tires for their daily transportation, and then run their muds on the weekend?

Is there much of a difference on gas mileage? Or are you just saving tread on the muds?

I think you would see your largest gain in mpg if you switched to smaller tire size during the week. I doubt the tire tread would make a large enough difference to matter.You better be driving a lot to make this financially feasible to account for two sets of tires. Also you better we willing to swap all 4s every weekend.

I switch out for long trips or heavy towing or if I'm not offing for some time. I have a good floor jack and air gun so it's no big deal for me to switch out. But every week end! No way.

I don't plan on switching every weekend.

I drive over 60 miles everyday to and from work and 33x12.50 muds are about $300 a piece. So I'm thinking about buying some stock wheels and rims just for daliy driving.

Its better than buying a cheap second car.

You say 60 miles to and from... 120 miles/day total or 60? Eitherway, you might actually save money doing this.

I don't plan on switching every weekend.

I drive over 60 miles everyday to and from work and 33x12.50 muds are about $300 a piece. So I'm thinking about buying some stock wheels and rims just for daliy driving.

Its better than buying a cheap second car.

What 33x12.50's are you talking about that are $300. :nono:

THat is stupid high on the price scale unless they are comp compund or BFG BAJA's... most tires that size are between $130 and $230 ish.

The interweb is your friend... Screw paying $313 a tire that's absolutely outrageous.

I just recently threw on my stockers again temporarily while I wait to purchase some new muds or at's. All I can say is, I've missed them :( The smooth ride, the power gains, the mpg increase, it does all add up. But that being said, it look absolutely stupid on 5.5" of lift, and I can't wait to get some decent tires back under the jeep.

28s with 4" lift
CIMG009x368.jpg

... horsepower is way cooler than gas mileage

Back