• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock, metal or punk versions of old well known tunes

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
I collect musical oddities (ok, oddities doesn't even begin to describe some of the musical gems that I have in my collection) and I'm always looking for more. I'm looking at music along the lines of
Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner, Metallica playing the Imperial March, Steve Vai playing Bethoven's Fifth, Vanessa May's Tocatta on electrical violin, Slash's Godfather theme, Gary Hoey's Bethoven's Fifth, Stevie Ray Vaughns guitar duel solo from the movie Crossroads, Ventures playing the Pink Panther Theme.

So I guess the theme is classical, big band, blues, jazz tunes played by rock, metal or punk bands: what have you guys heard that fits that bill?

Brad Mehldau did a great rendition of paranoid android. He also mixed mother natures son with another jazz piece named "waves".

He probably is more like acid jazz, but check him out he is quite the musicians.

There is a cover of NIN hurt or pain or whatever it is, done by an older guy, roommate thought it was johnny cash, but i dont thin k so

rock rash said:
There is a cover of NIN hurt or pain or whatever it is, done by an older guy, roommate thought it was johnny cash, but i dont thin k so

Yes, Johnny Cash. Hurt won a Grammy for Best Short Form Video. ;)

Remi, give NOFX's 'All Of Me' and 'Johnny B. Goode' a shot. :D

rock rash said:

Johhny Cash's Hurt is not a cover of NIN.

but it is a damn good song.

if you're talking about mixing two genere;s of music, the one Eminem song I like is where they mix rap with aerosmith.

Joan Jet and the Black Hearts--Little Drummer Boy

BCParker said:
Johhny Cash's Hurt is not a cover of NIN.
Yes it is. It is off his American IV: The Man Comes Around album.

I like Johnny Cash's cover of Petty's "I Won't Back Down", off American III: Solitary Man.

The Ramones "Warm California Sun"

The Plimsouls "I can't turn you loose"

Sublime "Summertime"

And in the spirit of the season, we have The Kinks "Father Christmas"

The Rodney Carrington cover of Snoop Dogg's "Gin and Juice" is pretty good, but I'm not sure if that's what you were looking for.

reel big fish- imperial march, take on me(gotta be my favorite cover of that song)

tons of me first and the gimme gimmes, bound to be something of theirs you like

On "Redheaded Stranger," Willie Nelson does an acoustic guitar solo or Bach's Minuet in G which is really good.

London Philharmonic Orchestra covering Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon. Talk about taking a trip...

Metallica's 2-disk live set with the San Fran Symphony.....Takes it to a whole new level.

X3 on Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt, and Broken Cage.

There is a band out (may have broken up by now) called Scatterbrain, on every album they do a classical song, Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, etc...all done very well.

A couple of the best cover bands:

Cake:
-"I will Survive" -orig by Gloria Gainor
-"Frank Sinatra (Can't Take My Eyes Off of You)" -orig by Frankie Vallie
-"Guitar Man" -orig by Bread

Ramones:
-"What a Wonderful World" -orig by Bing Crosby
-"Spider Man" -who knows?

Also, one disc of every live Phish multi-disc CD is a cover of someone's album. Everything from Michael Jackson to Lou Reed.

Last edited:
Anyone one have Cash's Box Set "unearthed"?
It supposed to have a lot of covers done by him, alone, in his studio, just because.

me firsts and the gimme gimmes do a lot on covers, in fact i think thats all they do. If you can stomach that pop punk stuff, maybe look there.

As to "novelty" songs that aren't covers:

The Rodeo Song
DJ Assault (Not meant to be funny, but is)
Wesley Willis (Not really a novelty but will bring a smile to your face)

Back