• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix Relays?

XJ-Mayhem

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Seems like there isn’t great info on the ASD/O2/Fuel pump relays from a Renix, or my google skills are off tonight.

Those of you who’ve replaced them, what amperage did you go with?

Pretty sure they're 40 amp. I have a bucket full of them from parting out XJs over the years.
Thanks Cruiser, I’ll grab some 40 amps

While you’re here… has there ever been a good answer on circuit draw per system to replace fusible link with fuses? I’m gutting wiring and going more towards a dedicated off road rig, and I'd like to get rid of all the fusible links pulling off the starter relay cluster mess. At the very least I'd like to go to a little power distribution terminal so each link has it's own post.

Fuse links come with a current rating just like fuses. A clue as to what current they are designed for is to look at the size wire they protect.

Choose the fuse according to the wire size.

Wire size current table:
18 gauge wire = 5-8 amps
16 gauge wire = 10-12 amps
14 gauge wire = 15-17 amps
12 gauge wire = 20-25 amps
10 gauge wire = 30-40 amps
8 gauge wire = 50-60 amps.

Fusible link colors
Link Gauge Color
20 Gauge Blue
18 Gauge Brown or Red
16 Gauge Black or Orange
14 Gauge Green
12 Gauge Gray

Thanks Cruiser, I’ll grab some 40 amps

While you’re here… has there ever been a good answer on circuit draw per system to replace fusible link with fuses? I’m gutting wiring and going more towards a dedicated off road rig, and I'd like to get rid of all the fusible links pulling off the starter relay cluster mess. At the very least I'd like to go to a little power distribution terminal so each link has it's own post.
Fusible links perform a entirely different function so be extra careful on any subtitutions.

Fuse links come with a current rating just like fuses. A clue as to what current they are designed for is to look at the size wire they protect.

Choose the fuse according to the wire size.

Wire size current table:
18 gauge wire = 5-8 amps
16 gauge wire = 10-12 amps
14 gauge wire = 15-17 amps
12 gauge wire = 20-25 amps
10 gauge wire = 30-40 amps
8 gauge wire = 50-60 amps.

Fusible link colors
Link Gauge Color
20 Gauge Blue
18 Gauge Brown or Red
16 Gauge Black or Orange
14 Gauge Green
12 Gauge Gray
Thanks for that!

Fusible links perform a entirely different function so be extra careful on any subtitutions.
Right, that’s why I asked about circuit draw not necessarily equivalent amperage to fusible links. I’m sure it’s an unrealistic question unless someone’s taken the time to actually measure draw in various conditions.

I’m only familiar with the Renix, don’t HOs forward have a fuse box with no fusible links?

Back