• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RENIX people, please post up.

I have an 89, and like the RENIX way more than the HO engines. It's a real simple system, and dead reliable. Renix jeeps last twice as long as those HO junkers.

88 XJ, I am fairly competent with the Renix system. The last smog check made me real familiar with all the sensors and how they work...or dont.

"Renix jeeps last twice as long as those HO junkers"
I resemble that remark! I don't think they are "Junkers" I much prefer the new throttle body than the Renix ones.

Than being said. I also know that the Non Renix trims in the ECM are much more tolerant (35% vs 25%). I wish the Non Renix systems used the knock sensor. It would make modifications much easier.

BigBlackHeep said:
Yeah I'm actually going to get a 91+ header and block off the port on the intake manifold then rip the whole system out. Do you think it will have any negative effects if I do it 5-90?

Shouldn't be a problem - my EGR system only works for about a week every other year - when I hook it back up to pass smog (damn.)

If it weren't for that, I'd have gotten rid of it long ago. The engine will actually run cleaner without it than with it - I know this from getting my 87 smogged years ago, and I didn't know that the EGR valve didn't work. Neither did the tech, until he disobeyed orders and started messing about with my vacuum lines (after I specifically told him not to, and damn what California says! If they have a problem with it, they can come talk to me directly. I don't deal with middlemen...)

5-90

AJPulley said:
Wow, this is great guys. I see there are more than I thought. I have an agenda with this, but I'll wait a few weeks to see how many post up.
Why don't you just ask the flippin' question and get it over with?

I HATE "agendas."

I'm subscribing to this thread to see what the agenda is.:)

I'm competent with the Renix, but like another poster, don't like the extended cranking time. I will say this, they are easy to diagnose, and you can test the O2 sensor without getting your hands dirty.

It's an archaic and outdated system though.....

So my stupid question of the day is this: Snap-On must have gotten the specs somewhere. Who did they write to? There must be some place where a maker of diagnostic equipment can obtain these specs. Surely our resourceful Mr. 5-90 could cook up a letterhead or something and pass himself off as a manufacturer of specialized tuneup equipment for Jeeps or something....

Stupid question two: might it be easier to reverse engineer the snap-on tool than the computer itself?

AJPulley said:
I would like to know who, besides 5-90 and myself are fairly familiar with and like the RENIX system on the MJs and older XJs. If you don't care for it, no need to post please.

Edit: I'm interested in those who feel they can diagnos the system with confidence and have a fair understanding of how it works.

I love it with the help of NAXJA of course:kissyou:

I've got to try to get hold of ACTIA Corp again (apparently, the last known RENIX patent holder,) and see if I can't have any luck this time. Is there anyone in Chicagoland that I can get to act as a representative, possibly? As I recall, they're in Elkhart, IN.

There is another thread about someone going to Frogland and seeing if they can find out anything - I also asked them to post to RENIXPower anything they find out.

Meanwhile, this will give me an excuse to design some sort of letterhead, as mentioned. I just need to get a few other things pointed in the right direction before I can do that...

5-90

I am by finance and ability familiar with the renix system. The best part of renix is, you don't need an expensive computer to troubleshoot most of your problems! A good mutimeter and help from all at naxja has saved me several hundred dollars at the stealership. I have a very fine 89 xj with less than 100 grand on the speedo. I bought this rig knowing they go over 300 grand without a rebuild. The renix takes longer to start, but this is all part of why they last so long, i.e., putting oil into the motor before it starts. I have diagnosed a few problems and have confidence in my powerplant. Any vehicle that lasts 17 years without a rebuild is pretty special. My rig will climb some serious snow drifts without problem and being in the snowbelt it is some pretty good insurance. I am not sure what you are looking to find, but the renix is not as complex, especially with the wealth of information and good people at the naxja forum! I would only suggest that after obtaining a multi meter, that you go to your nearest dollar store and get some long sewing needles to easily backprobe any sensor. It's worth the dollar investment as I had to adjust my throttle position sensor and could not get a read with my $200 multi meter until I shoved the needles into the appropriate legs.
Plus, the renix jeeps look great with the unfettered headlights and tough looking fog lamps sitting on the bumpers. Drawbacks? the keyless entry is not sonar, you need to aim the fob (if you even still have one) like a tv remote. The computer is pretty much worthless for diagnostics, you lose everything if it's not running. The power locks are not strong enough to stand the test of time, the farther along they in the line, the less they respond. The cooling system is suspect, it's closed and likes to run too hot.

All things considered, It's still a pretty good system or we would not be talking about it over fifteen years later. I'm going to guess (shame on me) that the ho's will not be favoring so well after 15 years! (hope i'm wrong). My other ride is a 05 ford escape 4x4 and it feels like junk to me compared to the Jeep! They really took pride in making the jeep even in the end of amc production (like I said, mine is an 89). Choose wisely. I have had the Jeep a little over five months but knowing the history, the quality and what is fun, I would go with the renix system. I am not much of a backyard mechanic, but the renix has moved me there and though it drives my wife crazy, I am afraid i'm addicted to it.
AJPulley said:
I would like to know who, besides 5-90 and myself are fairly familiar with and like the RENIX system on the MJs and older XJs. If you don't care for it, no need to post please.

Edit: I'm interested in those who feel they can diagnos the system with confidence and have a fair understanding of how it works.

Back