• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix Fuel Hose Replacement

CBJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have read various posts and looked at videos but still have little understanding of the correct approach to use when replacing rubber fuel delivery and return lines at the engine. Both lines use disconnects at the fuel rail and both hoses have crimped connectors where they attached to the hard lines on the frame rail. As best I can determine, the crimps could be sliced and removed. The resulting steel tube would have a ridge on it? Do I slip a fuel injection rated hose over the end and use two fuel injector hose clamps? I see that I can purchase metal 5/16th disconnects for both the delivery and return lines at the fuel rail and use two each clamps. Am I on the right track?

I used 6AN Male to 5/16" Hardline Compression Fittings at the metal lines, and return line nipple, no modification needed to the fuel rail. Had to cut fitting off hard line at the uniframe with Small tubing cutter. Also replaced the rubber section for the supply line in the engine compartment. Then used 6AN fittings and PTFE hose between compression fitting.

ETA: attached a 45° fitting to the compression fitting on the return line so as not to kink the hose as it goes over the manifold and through the retainer "clip".

Last edited:
I used 6AN Male to 5/16" Hardline Compression Fittings at the metal lines, and return line nipple, no modification needed to the fuel rail. Had to cut fitting off hard line at the uniframe with Small tubing cutter. Also replaced the rubber section for the supply line in the engine compartment. Then used 6AN fittings and PTFE hose between compression fitting.

ETA: attached a 45° fitting to the compression fitting on the return line so as not to kink the hose as it goes over the manifold and through the retainer "clip".

So you cut off the original hose crimps at the unit frame and used 5/16" compression fittings adapted to 6AN hose fittings? How did you connect at the fuel rail? Any photos available?

So you cut off the original hose crimps at the unit frame and used 5/16" compression fittings adapted to 6AN hose fittings? How did you connect at the fuel rail? Any photos available?
There should be no "adaption" needed, there are direct fit fittings for all applications. My 2000 uses SAE quick connect on both ends.

I will that you can get fittings in straight, 45*, 90*, 120*, and 180* and even select others!

As I stated they are available in all configurations including "compression".

I just slid the compression fitting up to the lip that is there for the retainer clip. That's plenty for it to get hold of.

I just slid the compression fitting up to the lip that is there for the retainer clip. That's plenty for it to get hold of.
Perfect. That is a plan. Just need to figure out all the pieces now. I gather you did the same at the fuel rail disconnect? Just used a compression fitting there as well?

Perfect. That is a plan. Just need to figure out all the pieces now. I gather you did the same at the fuel rail disconnect? Just used a compression fitting there as well?
I wouldn't because it adds another fitting!

I gather you did the same at the fuel rail disconnect? Just used a compression fitting there as well?
I used compression fittings on the hardlines to replace the short section of rubber supply hose in the engine compartment. I left as much existing hardline as possible. On a supply line, just below the air intake tube you will need a 45 pointing down. See attachment number one.

Attachments

• 20240529_171631.jpg
    20240529_171631.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240529_171603.jpg
    20240529_171603.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240529_171522.jpg
    20240529_171522.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
The zip tie is just the Hardline side of the compression fitting. The line without a zip tie is the supply line. The roll of heat shield I bought came with plenty, so I used it.

ETA: I used 45° fittings in the two locations because I needed PTFE line; ethanol in the fuel here. I did not want to Kink anything and start over. The supply line probably wasn't necessary, however, it allowed the routing of the line to provide me more space to reach in that side of the engine. That and I bought a two pack because, you know, just in case.

Attachments

• 20240529_172031.jpg
    20240529_172031.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240529_172118.jpg
    20240529_172118.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
OK, I am stuck at the return line quick connect at the fuel rail. The original retainer and o-ring(s) were shot. I found an old thread that Cruizer54 (RIP) had posted for Renix fuel line disconnects:

https://naxja.org/threads/renix-leaky-stainless-steel-lines.1160090/post-246706514

I am looking at these repair kits and they make no sense to me. The retainer clip and o-ring does, but how does that what plastic insert come into play? Here is my fuel rail return. I purchased a Dorman 800-005 and it is not correct- has no o-rings.

Here is a photo of my fuel rail return: Renix Fuel Rail
Here is a photo of the repair kit: Crown 83502745

Am I missing something here?

The plastic insert keeps the o-rings and spacer in place and aids in installation. You insert the whole thing into the FPR until it clicks into place, then pull out the center insert. Insert your fuel line.

The plastic insert keeps the o-rings and spacer in place and aids in installation. You insert the whole thing into the FPR until it clicks into place, then pull out the center insert. Insert your fuel line.
Ah! That makes sense. Does this same kit apply to the hose end on the feed end of the fuel rail, at the end of the rubber fuel line? I had purchased Dorman metal quick connects for this, but am wondering if this is not correct:
Dorman 800-120

Back