• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear left shock mount ripped from chassis.. Sweet.

DigJeepsBrah

NAXJA Forum User
Yeah... Was coming home from work getting off of 285 onto S. Turkey Creek and about lost it.

I was going to see if anyone close to me (C-470 and Wadsworth) had a welder and could come do a house call, cause I'm obviously not driving her anywhere that involves speeds above about 35 MPH.

I've been cruising my Enduro back and forth to work and between the constant rain and fear of hitting a deer in the canyon.. I'm over it. I need my Jeep fixed.

Can anyone help me?

Please, and thank you in advance!

-Dustin @ 303-910-1020. I have Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday afternoon/evenings off, and the entire weekend as well. I also have today and tomorrow morning off until noon. The sooner the better, as it looks like it's going to be a wet ride again today.

Scratching my head.........

XJ + "Chassis" = nope.

"Rear left shock mount ripped from chassis"......... The upper shock mounts on the rear of an XJ are "bar pins" that are bolted up to the unibody. What exactly "ripped"? Did the bolts shear off in the nuts? Did the bar pin bend/break/come out?

Pics would help quite a lot here. :thumbup:

I've driven my rigs home on two occasions where one shock came off of the rear one way or another......... hardly noticed it on the road. Are you running the front sway bar? And is it connected? The XJ shouldn't really handle all that bad with one shock gone....:dunno:

Scratching my head.........

XJ + "Chassis" = nope.

"Rear left shock mount ripped from chassis"......... The upper shock mounts on the rear of an XJ are "bar pins" that are bolted up to the unibody. What exactly "ripped"? Did the bolts shear off in the nuts? Did the bar pin bend/break/come out?

Pics would help quite a lot here. :thumbup:

I've driven my rigs home on two occasions where one shock came off of the rear one way or another......... hardly noticed it on the road. Are you running the front sway bar? And is it connected? The XJ shouldn't really handle all that bad with one shock gone....:dunno:

Sorry.. Cherocar Unibody ;) I think it was the initial break when it came off the unibody. Just the one kind of sharp right turn from slowing down from 55 MPH. I pulled over immediately, it scared the crap out of me. Instantly looking around for something wrong and saw the shock at the wrong angle, checked it out, sure as shoot;

Bolts sheered off the nuts. Or Nuts sheered off the bolts, either way the hardware is long gone. I saw that the other side had been welded up at some point too.

Looks like someone used the rear sway bar mounts as BPEs. Drill those bolts out, and put a nut and washer in from the cargo area.

Im with 'yella, not sure how that is scary to drive over 35 mph. Ive been passengers in some vehicles without rear shocks that didnt handle great, but were far from scary (minus the 4runner that was running 63" chevys with dual shackles :shiver:)

Yeah, the best fix for that is to pull back the cargo carpet, use a dremel to cut an 3-sided opening above those nuts, bend back the "flap" then bust off the weld nuts. Replace with new nuts/bolts. If you can re-weld the new nuts in place, that'd be optimal, but it is possible to get access to the nuts with a wrench from below (between the cargo floor and the unibody shock cross member). Then just close the "flap" and seal with body seam glue or house rain gutter sealing tape.

From the looks of it, one bolt dropped out leaving the other to hold it until it rocked and bent then broke the other bolt.

Easy fix, just time consuming.

This is what I'm talking about....... albeit a bit excessive on the size of the "flaps".....

To better find the area you'd need to cut, use a philips screwdriver and poke it up through the open bolt hole you have and hit it with a hammer to dimple the cargo floor as a reference point. :thumbup:

70154d1318215162t-broken-rear-shock-bolts-what-do-forumrunner_20111009_225230.jpg

I drove mine for two weeks before I looked under the jeep and saw I had broken a rear shock. I never noticed it was broken, and I am real picky about handling.

yeah, in my experience you won't notice too much when the first shock comes off (unless it's flapping around and hitting something) but you will really notice when the second does!

Front shocks affect things a lot more, I notice when I lose one of those. In fact I carry a spare now.

Back