• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear brakes freezing

wingnutooa

NAXJA Forum User
i figured maybe the first time this happened last year was just from old brakes.

i replaces all the springs and linkage fulcrums and put it back together and it did the same thing this winter. almost a year later.

i have a 5 spd so i always use my e brake when i park.

when it gets really cold i go to release my e brake, say, in the morning when i come out, it stays applied, i think its only the right side but this winter when it happened it actually curled the top of my brake shoe over in a U shape.

i assume that happened when i had to put it in 4 low to get it to move at all.

anyone else with drum brakes have this problem?

i'd really like to get some rubicon rear disc setup for it.

anyone know if the rear brakes off a WJ's D44a would bolt up to my axle?

its just a standard 87 XJ D44

wj brakes will work, but you'll need zj rotors. i would just find a v8 zj with a dana 44. they're common, and it's a direct bolt on. there's one in lavergne at express auto salvage. that's a new yard similar to pullapart where you pull your own for the cheap. that zj was really complete, too. i thought of getting the tierod off of it....

wj brakes will work, but you'll need zj rotors. i would just find a v8 zj with a dana 44. they're common, and it's a direct bolt on. there's one in lavergne at express auto salvage. that's a new yard similar to pullapart where you pull your own for the cheap. that zj was really complete, too. i thought of getting the tierod off of it....

The backing plate pattern is different. If it was a tj d 44 it would match. You have to get a rubicon backing plate and weld the holes and re drill to match the bolt pattern.

yeah, i guess i left out that some welding and drilling would be required, but i figgered joe could get past that. we did it to a guy's jeep in gallatin, and from the zj is was a direct bolt on for from the zj dana 35 to the xj 44 other than some minor grinding, and we just welded on the caliper brackets

I'm running crown vic brakes on mine. Had to drill a little but they work just fine.

I have seen this same problem with my 94. I think that it's because my axle seal is leaking and causing gear lube to get on the shoes. the last time it got stuck was in a snowy parking lot and I had to really play with the jeep to get it freed up. almost hit a light pole!!!

I have had this issue with Wearever brand shoes from Advance Auto, I took them back and swapped them for Wagner shoes and all is well.

Back