• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Really good gas mileage

Anyone on here who claims to or thinks they are getting 25 mpg is delusional. A mint condition stock 4 liter automatic XJ will get about 19 mpg on the highway at best and no modifications ever will change that.

Anyone on here who claims to or thinks they are getting 25 mpg is delusional. A mint condition stock 4 liter automatic XJ will get about 19 mpg on the highway at best and no modifications ever will change that.

25 mpg does sound high. I can't agree with that statement though. I'm definitely getting 20-21 mpg highway. I typically get 400-425 miles on a full tank with highway driving @ 70-75 mph. I make trips from Va beach to Richmond every couple weeks. It takes a little less than half a tank to go there and back. Its 107 miles one way. I've calculated my mileage at least 10 times in the last 3 months making this same trip, each time very similar results.

Last edited:
I get around 19-20mpg only when doing long highway trip. City driving and short trips, I'm lucky to get 10. My 98 with 225s has around 126,000 mi. I'm also a fanatic about maintenance. So really I feel there is nothing I can do to improve upon what is factory determined optimum mpgs.

To CONSISTENTLY get 25mpg in an XJ does seem to defy physics. But hey, if you are one of the lucky ones, don't ask any questions.

That must be nice. I have always kept my XJ in great condition, it's a 96 Country. On one road trip, I topped off as much as I could until gas spilled, and honestly ran it til the engine sputtered. I had 370 miles on the trip. I would sure love to reach 400 but I have never come close in 160,000 miles of driving.

if ur driving 75 MPH and ur tach is reading 2000-2100 RPMs, thats a little crazy. Since I have an auto (which might explain the higher RPM) and at 60 I'm at 2200ish RPM and at 75 I'm closer to the 2500 RPM....I think. I don't know, I drive mostly 55MPH and 65MPH which gives me 21MPG with a 2 inch budget lift.

i have a 4" lift on 33x10.50's and 3.55 gears throwing down 19.5 on long drives with steep grades, my last trip to the beach had a 7% grade that turned into a 4% grade for something like 5 miles or so...

i plan on going 4.56's when i get the cash. and right now with my 3.55's when im doing like 75mph im doing about 2200 rpms...

I have a ’00 Sport 5speed, almost totally stock. Some items adding a little bit of weight, Fuel tank skid plate and slightly heavier rear hitch from stock. Stuff in back for safety, maybe 70lbs worth.

Engine has 205k on it, Tires are 235/75x15 BFG TA KO’s (30K on them and still looking great), aired down to 25lb cold for off road.

Just yesterday, did 155 miles on 7.502 gallons getting about 20.6 mpg. Fueled at the same station and used the same procedure in fueling.
Most of the drive was 10-25mph on snowy dirt trails with 2 ppl (200lbs+). The drive home was at 80mph on the interstate for 35 miles, tires air back to 36 (warm).

On other mileage test runs, I got about 27.5mpg, driving it on road, to and from work, 120 mile drive (round trip), mostly interstate at 70-75mph (105 miles of it for round trip). Using the same means of determining mileage, top it off, drive to work and back, top it off again at the same station and time of day.

For the most part, I never have seen below 20mpg when checking mileage and amount of fuel used, usually in the 24 to 26mpg range.

I have checked the odometer with both GPS and mile markers on the highway. I do feel it is pretty close. Distance traveled, 100 miles, odometer showing 101 miles and speedo showing 70mph when GPS is showing 69.3 mph. This is sort of hard to keep steady but close enough for me to get a good idea I am off a touch. Figuring per gallon factor of about 1/4 mile off per 25 miles or 1 mile at 100 miles driven. Close enough for me, using quick math and driving/figuring.

I am guessing that the engine is a good one, as far as I can tell, 0331 head and original. Owner before me, mostly a highway driver and she took it to the dealer for most of the work when needed. She used Marvel Mystery Oil and it is very clean inside the engine from what I can tell. Changed oil and it stayed a light honey color for 500 miles afterwards. I did a Seafoam intake process on it when I got it, hardly any smoke what so ever. I never used MMO before, but this is making me think again about the hype around it.

I do feel the 5-speed is a major factor of the mileage I am seeing. Also being at 4500’ helps, but the drive yesterday, I was around 6k’ to 9k’ for most of the day.

my XJ gets about 16 which i'm Proud of.

But this is why I have a DD that gets 31 City and 37 ish Highway.

Thats how you do it. My next DD will be a TDI jetta!

Just don't let the heep know you're cheating on it with a nazimobile or you'll have ww3 in the driveway. The Jeep will win, of course, but you'll be stuck with the cleanup.

Haha, I'll try not too. The only thing the jetta will get is a set of wheels and regular maintenance!

At the risk of being branded a heretic, my 98 XJ used to get into the low 20's but after trying to better it with one of the well known fuel additive/injector cleaners a couple years ago, it went in the toilet. Never to return again!
"Don't screw with mother nature!"

I just finished a trip from Lancaster, Pa to Detroit MI. It was all highway driving and I kept the cruise @ 75 when traffic allowed. I reset the trip odometer when I filled the tank and started driving. When I stopped for gas I divided what my trip odometer said (326) by the amount of gas it took to refill the tank (15.3). My mileage was 21.2.
2001, 4.0, AW4, NP231, 2" BB, 3.55 gears, 235/70R16 tires on stock aluminum wheels @ 32psi. And I removed the crossbars on the roof rack if that helps.

Back