• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rattle-can paint job.

It's no good at all... I love Duplicolor products but that metallic textured is the worst.. it will be spotty. It doesn't lay down good at all IMO. I have 5 cans you can have for $3 each if you want them though.

Aww Damn! I ordered a case from Amazon yesterday. :( Ian made it look easy when he shot the Crawler Hauler on Extreme Off Road.. lol

Just make sure you do it on a colder day... Ive noticed you get a lot of lap marks in anything over 80*... Also make sure you prep prep prep and more prep. If possible strip it down to bare metal, clean, prime, clean, paint.

Just make sure you do it on a colder day... Ive noticed you get a lot of lap marks in anything over 80*... Also make sure you prep prep prep and more prep. If possible strip it down to bare metal, clean, prime, clean, paint.

80*? Dang, i'm going to have to wait until fall for that. :sunshine: Thanks for the input.

You can test it in the shade... I just know if its too hot then the paint "edge" dries too fast not letting the next pass blend itself. Plus when its too hot you waste a lot of paint because it dries before it hits the surface.

Haha, I saw the same episode and want to do that same color.. Post up pics when you get it completed

E7MzuKI.jpg

Didn't turn out too bad. Metal and ambient temp was 85. It was pretty even but I can see where patience will be needed in applying. I'll update progress...

Last edited:
Put some Protekto Trim on that fender lip once you're done painting and it will really clean up the look and make that silver pop!
Awesome! I was wondering how I can clean up my poor trim job. Thank you for the pointer. Buying a roll now.:cheers:

Aww Damn! I ordered a case from Amazon yesterday. :( Ian made it look easy when he shot the Crawler Hauler on Extreme Off Road.. lol

The dude also skips about 53449u494ff34343 steps when explaining how to set up gears. And he has spiked hair. Just sayin.

Pretty sure that's the same thing I use on my rock rails/rear bumper

image by mikedashg, on Flickr

Also my battery box/hold down:

image by mikedashg, on Flickr

I did my rear hatch last week with some standard primer, then this stuff:

Jeep body work by mikedashg, on Flickr

previous hatch owner's work, and you can see the rear bumper here:

Jeep body work by mikedashg, on Flickr

primed

Body work Jeep by mikedashg, on Flickr

first pass, I dont have any final pics yet but it looks better then this, which aint too bad, it's not a show vehicle.

Body work Jeep by mikedashg, on Flickr

I think I'm going to have to take a long "camping" trip and shoot my jeep haha.

Mike, I think your battery is secure.. lol Thanks for the info. I'm going to shoot it next weekend. I just have to cut the rears first.

Mike, I think your battery is secure.. lol …

I think so too. Somewhat serendipitously overkill since it's just what I had in my scrap steel pile. So it's a mix of .5" wide 1/4" and 3/16" steel, and the securing bracket to the body is like 1/2" haha.

I just built the top bracket last week. Mostly welded with one grade 8 bolt in case I want to adjust it later for a wider battery. Compared to stock and un-painted.

Battery top mount by mikedashg, on Flickr

The bottom box I built a while back.

Battery box by mikedashg, on Flickr

Mike, first thought when I saw the battery bracket was "damn, that thing must weigh a ton". Then I noticed the lightening holes you drilled in it...never mind! :)

Back