• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quotes. Meaningful and Funny. Tell us one!

"Prior planning prevents piss poor performance." my D.I. in boot camp (it was 16 years ago, I can't remember his name).

I heard that one as the "Law of the Seven Ps" - "Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance."

And, in my case, it was SSG J. Clifford Terpestra (the only guy who was taller than me, when I was in Boot. Makes him easy to remember, even twenty years later...)

"Better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."

I never did look into who originally said this, but I'd like to know.
i believe that was Abraham Lincoln

my favorite is "speak softly and carry a big stick"

It's all fun and games....until someone loses a testicle!

A cat was sitting beside the train tracks one day just enjoying the the sun. Then a train came by and took off the very tip of the cat's tail, which was laying across the tacks. The cat whirled around so quickly that the train then took his head off as well.

Moral: Don't Lose your head over a little bit of tail.

My dad told me that over 10 years ago.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from
time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
It is its natural manure."

Thomas Jefferson

"it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice" - unknown

this one I changed to fit;

"Some people go through life wondering if they've made a difference in the world... soldiers don't have that problem" - Ronald Reagan

"It is a far better death to die standing on your feet then live your life crawling on your belly..."
-Hemingway

Extra points if you can recall the book thats from, way extra points if you can recall the character who said it. I can't but I still like the quote.

"It is a far better death to die standing on your feet then live your life crawling on your belly..."
-Hemingway

Extra points if you can recall the book thats from, way extra points if you can recall the character who said it. I can't but I still like the quote.
"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees." — Dolores Ibarruri

Whoever it was he apparently stole it. Unless Dolores Ibarruri was the character...

"I've learned what I know, and I know what I've learned"

" No worries"

"Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday"

"OUR DEEPEST FEAR IS NOT THAT WE ARE INADEQUATE.
OUR DEEPEST FEAR IS THAT WE ARE POWERFUL BEYOND MEASURE.
IT IS OUR LIGHT, NOT OUR DARKNESS, THAT MOST FRIGHTENS US. WE ASK OURSELVES, WHO AM I TO BE BRILLIANT, GORGEOUS, TLAENTED AND FABULOUS.
ACTUALLY, WHO ARE YOU NOT TO BE..."
-NELSON MANDELA

"Keep that up and you''ll be getting less of what want even more often."

My bride-addressing my children

"Better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."

I never did look into who originally said this, but I'd like to know.

its better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. abraham lincoln/ mark twain

"With your shield or on it" (some ancient military thing, heard it used on a TV show years ago).

"Anyone can make an error, Ensign. But that error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." (Grand Admiral Thrawn / Timothy Zahn)

"With your shield or on it")

part of one anyway. RA Heinlein had an extended version of this quote intended as a barb towards current societal values.

"Roman matrons used to say to their husbands and sons, 'Come Back with your shield, or on it'. Later on this custom declined, shortly following this, so did Rome."

The phrase roughly carries the idea of "come home with honor": either through being victorious and returning with your weaponry, or dieing in battle and being carried home on your shield.

"Voting for a democrat is like an Albert Einstein quotation." Joe Peters

to be fair since most of Albert Einsteins quotes are intelligent and thoughtful, you would really be saying voting democratic is good? you should use "is like a G.W. Bush soundbite"......

My favorite quote is in my sig

Independently

Doug

I like Heinlein's stuff too. Here is one that I use as an email sig.

"Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get."

Back