• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quiet Catback Systems?

collegeoffroad

NAXJA Forum User
The jeep's already loud enough with a leaky sunroof (howls on the HW), that I'd like to keep the noise down if possible. Anyone have some suggestions on a quieter catback system? I've read that Flowmaster and borla tend to be fairly loud, but don't have much experience in hearing a lot of them.

you can get flowmaster mufflers that are quiet. the 50 series is quieter than the 40, for example. There is also the delta series that is quieter than the normal stuff. You should go on the flowmaster web site and just browse around. Read the descriptions of what they have. The borla website probably has some of the same type of info as well.

~Jeremy

If you want something quiet dont get a Flowmaster 50 series deltaflow. Thats what I have and its sooo much louder than I expected. Its not too bad on the hwy, but around town and especially in parking garages its obnoxiously loud. I'm constantly setting off car alarms. I'm running 2.5" pipe exiting out under the rear bumper and a magnaflow highflow cat so that probably contributes to its loudness. It sounds great buts its really annoying sometimes. I understand that Flowmaster's SUV series is considerably quieter than the deltaflow series.

collegeoffroad said:
The jeep's already loud enough with a leaky sunroof (howls on the HW), that I'd like to keep the noise down if possible. Anyone have some suggestions on a quieter catback system? I've read that Flowmaster and borla tend to be fairly loud, but don't have much experience in hearing a lot of them.

The noise (or its loudness) along with price is a determining factor in my decision as well. From previous threads, the Dynomax Super Turbo seems to be the overall winner (IMHO). Also, I've read good things about it as well on some major 4x4 mags.

Honestly, I don't mind the noise if I can't hear it. :laugh3:
You can always make it a project to Dynomat your rig all around and that's more $$$$ time to invest in.

just my $0.02

i've been around to a bunch of the sites for each company and it seemed like Gibson had a fairly solid one with a decent sound to it (didn't seem too loud from their audio clip of an XJ sport). Anyone have some experience with this one? :dunno:

Gibson. I put one on mine years ago and have ridden in MANY 4.0L Borla/Flowmaster/Dynomax/blah blah rigs and ALL of them are much louder than mine.

Don't get me wrong, they sound good...but they're too loud for the constant road driving I was doing. Mine doesn't drone on and get annoying. My power should be felt, not heard.

I'm running the Dynomax and I like it. My XJ is my commute vehicle to school which averages about 5 hours one way and I don't mind it. It only gets loud if you rev the engine up and even then its a MUCH lower tone than the stock exhuast, so its not annoying like some import with a glasspack kinda sound. I actually think its less annoying than the stock one for long rides, since with the boost I got in power from that and some other stuff, I don't have to give it as much gas to get the same speed. I've got friends with flowmasters and I didnt like the sound of them, they're too loud for my taste.

ok, so i've got the chance to get a borla cat back and hiflow cat for around $250, but don't have any experience with it. Can anyone comapre it to a few others based upon sound? I'm really tempted with the price, but just wanted to what it sounded like.

ive had the dynomax for about a year now, and I love it, sounds great... deeper than stock but not annoying at all, and it was about 95 bucks shipped from summit.... cant beat it IMHO

collegeoffroad said:
ok, so i've got the chance to get a borla cat back and hiflow cat for around $250, but don't have any experience with it. Can anyone comapre it to a few others based upon sound? I'm really tempted with the price, but just wanted to what it sounded like.

I had flowmaster too damn loud for me I went to borla much better not hugely quite more like mellow...
themud

Check around at at shop that supplies Flowmaster products, I believe that they have a new "Hushmaster" muffler out now that specifically address the noise problem.

a buddy of mine just did the gibson and I think it sounds real good, and it is not annoying like some of the others i've heard, I have the dynomax, and depending on the gear I'm setting off car alarms, I like the throaty sound but is does get annoying....

I have a Flowmaster cat back system from rusty's. It comes with a 50 series. It's pretty quiet inside as long as there is no leaks, but outside it still sounds like a flowmaster. The only time that its loud inside is when i'm downshifting.

~Jeremy

nhrocker said:
I'm running the Dynomax ...even then its a MUCH lower tone than the stock exhuast

What kind of Dynomax you have ?

A buddy of mine installed a Gibson cat back on his Tahoe with the 5.3L V8 and it was quiet as hell inside the cab. It sounded stock. And even at the exhaust tips it wasn't loud. He wanted more noise so he went to a Flowmaster American Thunder later on. Which had good throaty sound outside but not much interior noise.

I am running the Dynomax Turbo on our 94 Town and Country van.

Nice and quiet at idle, and has a low mellow volume when cruising. Even on hard acceleration, it's not that loud....

The Borla system on my 87 XJ is a whole different animal. In an inclosed parking area it will set off alarms, in town it's turns heads....

Last edited:
A very good muffler that goes mostly unnoticed is the Hooker Aerochamber. They are nice and quiet with a deep tone at idle through cruising speed, and only get loud if you're on the throttle. And loud is a relative term. They are nowhere near as loud as a Dronemaster. They are VERY well constructed, too. All aluminized steel fully welded outer shell, all stainless inner construction.

Back