• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick ? about stereo specs

XxAdioxX

NAXJA Forum User
I'm sure its been asked before, and I kind of half-assed searched but couldn't find anything but figured someone can answer me this real quick. Anyway, what are the specs on the factory speakers? I just want all the sizes and any other need-to-know information before I start looking at buying new speakers. Thanks.

As I recall, they used 5.25" speakers all the way up. You can stick 6" or so round speakers in the front doors with a little work, and I've put 6x9's in the early (fibreglas) liftgates after about a half-hour with a Dremel. As long as you don't get anything ridiculously deep, it should work (Fosgates just bottom out in the holes, against the outer skin of the liftgate.)

5-90

The speakers in the front doors and rear hatch are 5.25". There might be exceptions, but none that I know of.

My '92 XJ came with coaxial rear speakers and separate mids and tweeters for the front. The tweeters are mounted to the extreme right and left in the lower portion of the dash. You can see where they go by looking for the speaker "vents." I'm not sure about the speaker locations for '97+ XJs, and I'll assume the drivers are the same size as '96 and older models.

With a little fabrication you can install larger speakers if you desire. Separates also afford many tweeter mounting options. I know a number of folks here have done this.

I have no idea of mounting depths.

84-96 used 5.25's all around

97 uses 6 1/2's in the front doors and 5.25's in the soundbar

Whatever year they started to be integrated into the headliner... 98 or 99 I belive, those were 6 and 1/2's, at least they look like 6 1/2's in my friends 99 sport

Go to www.crutchfield.com and put in your year and it will tell you what fits

Last edited:
FWIW I got the 4x6"s out of my old car into my 95's doors without much issue. Little trimming of the baskets. And if I took anything from the experience it's that if you warp the backing plate on the basket too much the cone WILL come unglued! :doh:

Back