• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question raised by Black Helicopter thread

I personally lean more towards bolt action, but I would want something that can be accurate further out than a scout rifle. Right now my dream arsenal looks like this:

-.40 S&W handgun
-Walther P99 for back up (9mm)
-Long range bolt action rifle
-AR 15
-12 gauge shot gun

All I have now is the .40 S&W Sigma. Critique?

Standardize on calibers... if you're looking at two handguns pick two that will use same caliber and same mags. Same thing for rifles... if you're going the "I'm armed to the teeth and all I carry is arsenal" go for same caliber again so that you don't have to carry so much variety.

On the other hand upside of various calibers is that if you ran out of one ammo type and nothing is available you can switch should you find a supply of that second type... but... then you can also resuply yourself with a firearm then ;)

I keep my cabin pretty well stocked with all that stuff, all we would have to do is get there.

Correction, all you need to do is get there FIRST, have you made provisions for if you get there SECOND.... [I'm paranoid by training]....

Yeah, I want to buy a rifle it's $$$ that is the problem. I don't want to get a POS. But yeah, I backpack for about 5 days at a time with room to spare. And I carry while I do it (minus National Parks...thats BS if you ask me though). So I've got all the equipment to go along with it, water purifier, first aid kit...so on. We've got first aid kits on both my car and my wifes, and since I leave in an apartment my garage is in the trunk of my Jeep anyway.

But I think if SHTF really hardcore, I'd pack the wife up, hide my gun in all of it, and head for my Army post about a mile south of me. Lots of guns and ammo there!

I've been meaning to hit up the medics for some ghee-whiz stuff from their supply cabinet. :D In Iraq, we had these "patches" (for lack of a better word) that cauterize seriously traumatic wounds (limb loss etc). Some IV equipment, needle, tubing and saline would be nice as well. Saline expires though, can you get more w/o a prescription?

What do you guys think would be the best cross purpose rifle for both hunting and SHTF? I'm thinking Remington 700 VLS.

If going bolt action get one with a detachable box magazine in .233 or .308 so you can resupply.

I disagree ;) but then there are different schools of thought on the topic. I believe that a decent semi auto is a bit more versatile then a bolt action. Bolt actions though are simpler and more reliable.... Bolt action is more accurate (fewer moving parts) but is more punishing on the shoulder (no moving parts to takesome recoil out)... so... it comes down to choice. My choice is a semi auto for a fast followup shot if I need it ;)

My choice is a 300 winmag at 1000 yards while the others are using 223's. But then I prefer my defensive perimeter to at least 400 yards further then their offensive capability but thats just me.

I disagree ;) but then there are different schools of thought on the topic. I believe that a decent semi auto is a bit more versatile then a bolt action.
To each their own, I've got mine;)
If I had to run, I,d grab a bolt gun and a 1911
...,but I would want something that can be accurate further out than a scout rifle..., ,.. Critique?
Not to be picky or sarcastic, but have you ever fired a "scout" rifle? I've shot mine for record at 300yd. Most anybody could hit a reasonable target at 400. Swap the 3x9 off my Rem-700, I'd put it up against anything not built for bench-rest style shooting.(and it weighs 6lb, built in bipod, and 10 rounds on board:D) The newest rifles coming off the line can do 1/2moa, if you can keep up with the gun(I can't,...)I can do about 2.5moa with the "thick" duplex reticle 2x. I can only get about 1.5moa out of my Rem-700 (duplex reticle 3x9)
The only really "weird" thing about the scout rifle is the scope. If that bothers you, both the Steyr and Savage will mount a conventional scope in the standard location.
What's your idea of "further out" anyway?
Edit
have you made provisions for if you get there SECOND.... [I'm paranoid by training]....
Amen to that

What common sense measure do you take for those 'just-in-case' scenarios?

('Just-in-case' a natural disaster, water contamination, snowed in, terrorist attack, power outage, economic failure, zombies rise...whatever the case may be)

I have two full 6 gallon water jugs, a gun, usually about a weeks worth of back packing food (because I backpack, it's better than running to the store every time), and I keep my wife's and my camping stuff organized so we can get out quickly.

Just started stocking up on ammunition as well. I pick up a box of 50rnds every two weeks.

I just carry my XD40 with one round in it. All I need to do is find one boy scout like you and I'm set.

I just carry my XD40 with one round in it. All I need to do is find one boy scout like you and I'm set.
Dude, that's cold:laugh:

"I don't have to outrun the bear, I only have to outrun YOU"

I just like to mess with BW

I like his arsenal plan

I love my XD40, Savage 12FV .22-250 and my Rem .270....I do need a good shotgun though, I think a mossberg 835 grand slam would be nice, but so is their 500 "security" model....

I also want the "shotgun" from the movie "Snatch"

"Its a F*cking anti-aircraft gun Vincent"

Built-up, still streetable XJ and Comanche. Enough dry goods for 2-3 months in the pantry. Wood heat/cooking and well water and septic. All neighbors are on really good terms..."If I give you these 4 chickens, can you fix my (whatever)" type of thing allready-small town(?) attitude. County has fewer than 5,000 people in it plus a major lake less than 10 miles away, really good farm/hunting area also. Small Arsenal-check- 2 .45 ACPs, 5 shotguns, all 12 Ga., 308 Win & 30-06 bolts, 2 Marlin Model 60S's, and enough roundage to last a REALLLLLYYY long time. Gotta LOVE livin' in the woods.

Thumbs up on 1911. Watcha got?
Springfield 1911, Light competition modified.
Colt 1991, ambi. safety/extended slide release.
Kimber CDP as it came out of the box.

And a Dillon XL650 with all the extras:thumbup:

Springfield 1911, Light competition modified.
Colt 1991, ambi. safety/extended slide release.
Kimber CDP as it came out of the box.

And a Dillon XL650 with all the extras:thumbup:
oooh nice! I'll take that and I'll raise it with Kimber Pro Carry, Springfield TRP and Colt 1991 with all it's guts reworked and a SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET trigger job :) (oh yeah, got the 650 as well, just no time to use it :( )

(oh yeah, got the 650 as well, just no time to use it :( )
Funny how the -650 makes it affordable to own more then one.

1911s are kind of like jeeps. They like company!

Couple hundred pounds of food here, mixed bag of rice and beans. Few hundred cans of tuna, Water well, distiller, generator, 30.06 with a few hundred rounds of ammo, a few thousand rounds of .223, an AR, 2 .40 cal pistols with a few thousand rounds of ammo, .38 revolver with a few hundred rounds.

The combined force of my SHTF group is pretty good. Several thousand pounds of dry food, umpteen thousand .223, a few thousand 7.62, 6 AR's, 4 AK's several large caliber bolt guns, several XD's berettas and USP's. horses, jeeps and whiskey. A few series of antibiotics, a doctor, an engineer, a Marine, and me. Oh and don't get any ideas, we aren't going to be anywhere near my "location"

You guys might enjoy this site
http://www.survivalblog.com/

and this nice Manual that reads like a novel
http://www2.xlibris.com/bookstore/bookdisplay.asp?bookid=35549

A .22 that's still at the wife's parents' house. A broken jeep, 2 dogs, (soon to be) 3 small children, a minivan, Ford Focus, well, septic, 5 acres of empty desert, and a family including a "farmer", a couple "mechanics", former Marine (me), a pretty good arsenal from the inlaws and one bro-in law, many horses, in-laws (and wife) who can butcher damn near anything, dirtbikes, quads, and my parents back in NY on 70 acres with forest, stream, pond, etc if we decide to just get the hell out and find somewhere that's nowhere.

Same stuff as well. I never let my XJ get below a quarter of a tank anymore either. I've got about 10 gallons of fuel in the garage as well. I've got my emergency bag in the back too full of typical stuff plus my tent and sleeping bag. I've already got my camping stuff loaded up as well ready to go at a moment's notice. I'm going to stock up on more canned goods, water, flashlights, etc. tomorrow. I've convinced my dad finally that we need to buy a gun as well so we'll be getting that by the end of the week.

Don't forget to stock up on tinfoil hats !!!1

Back