• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question on "new gear" break-in.. Different scenario.

the whole point here is that 20 mins of driving is complete BS. If you wanted to get it right you would have to measure the temp of the diff fluid. I can go out and go 1 mile in 20 minutes, then another time go more than 20 miles in that time. I could also drive on a hot day for 20 minutes and get the diff to x temperature, then on a freezing day go out and it only gets to x-50 degrees. The 20 minutes thing is a giant landfill of a procedure

Around here we run it in on the rack with no load for the first 15 minutes in both forward and reverse while listening for noises, then test drive it for the next 10 or so minutes. We advise people to take it easy for the first 500 miles and come back for a free check-up and diff oil change. If its gonna make noise most the time its gonna happen in the first 20 minutes.

More scare tactics, great. :sure:
It's not about trying to scare anyone. I have nothing to gain by scaring anyone. But I do want my customers to get the most possible life out of their gears and it is not much of a hassle to do a proper break in. I have no interest in people having gear failures after I did their gears. Why wouldn't any shop who cares about their customers give them the best advice to make their gears last?

the whole point here is that 20 mins of driving is complete BS. If you wanted to get it right you would have to measure the temp of the diff fluid. I can go out and go 1 mile in 20 minutes, then another time go more than 20 miles in that time. I could also drive on a hot day for 20 minutes and get the diff to x temperature, then on a freezing day go out and it only gets to x-50 degrees. The 20 minutes thing is a giant landfill of a procedure
20 minutes is a basic guideline to make it simple for the customer to do a reasonably effective break in. You have to make it simple for most people or they won't do it. I can't believe there is so much resistance to a simple thing like this. It is not much of a hassle to do the procedure and it just might mean the difference between broken ring gear teeth in the middle of the most gnarly trail you have ever done and completing that gnarly trail and having good stories to tell your buddies. You decide.

So not 'warming the gears during break-in for 20 minutes' = broken ring gear teeth on the trail. :laugh:

If you generate enough heat driving normally for any length of time during the 'break-in period' to do any kind of heat-related damage to the gearset, it's probably because someone didn't know how to properly set backlash.

Unless I'm wrong, any quality gearset should have already been lapped at the manufacturer before you even see them, no?

20 minutes is a basic guideline to make it simple for the customer to do a reasonably effective break in. You have to make it simple for most people or they won't do it. I can't believe there is so much resistance to a simple thing like this. It is not much of a hassle to do the procedure and it just might mean the difference between broken ring gear teeth in the middle of the most gnarly trail you have ever done and completing that gnarly trail and having good stories to tell your buddies. You decide.

If it is so critical, then why don't you do it for your customers? Do you test drive these Jeeps that you work on?

If you are breaking ring gear teeth, there is more wrong that just an improer break in. :rolleyes:

If it is so critical, then why don't you do it for your customers? Do you test drive these Jeeps that you work on?

If you are breaking ring gear teeth, there is more wrong that just an improer break in. :rolleyes:
If my customers were willing to pay for my time to drive their car around for a couple hundred miles I would be happy to do the break in for them. It is not that critical. It is just the best practice to ensure the longevity of the gears.

The bottom line here folks is if you want to create the best case scenario for your expensive new gears, do a break in. If you don't care then just drive like you normally do.

Don't forget yer tin foil hat too.

Bryan C. your post count is high enough that you don't need to post comments just to boost it. You have ceased providing any meaningful contribution to this post since very early on in this discussion.

On the other hand I do need to boost my post count and I won't deny it. I tend to loiter and listen, you seem to like to harass and argue.

On a semi-related note, are you an officer in the National leadership of NAXJA(NAXJA Recorder appears under your name), or just a regional chapter? Either way, you don't represent NAXJA very well with your comments.

It seems that you don't agree with someone who has a valid reason for recomending a certain procedure. But why are you so offended that you take this much time to argue with him? You had a valid suggestion of your own, & so do other posters. The more you argue like a child, the less intelligent you and your opinion appear(for this post and any others you participate in from this day forward).

Carry on belittling intelligent folks with your drivel. You are acting like a bully, and it is unbecoming of an adult and a leader in an organization.

. My situation is that I drove my car to the shop to have them installed. The shop is around 1 hour away.

How did things work out with the drive home? Did you find a reasonable solution?

Seems like the thread turned into a steaming pile of horse manure real quick.

Take care,
Charles B.

Bryan C. your post count is high enough that you don't need to post comments just to boost it. You have ceased providing any meaningful contribution to this post since very early on in this discussion.

On the other hand I do need to boost my post count and I won't deny it. I tend to loiter and listen, you seem to like to harass and argue.

On a semi-related note, are you an officer in the National leadership of NAXJA(NAXJA Recorder appears under your name), or just a regional chapter? Either way, you don't represent NAXJA very well with your comments.

It seems that you don't agree with someone who has a valid reason for recomending a certain procedure. But why are you so offended that you take this much time to argue with him? You had a valid suggestion of your own, & so do other posters. The more you argue like a child, the less intelligent you and your opinion appear(for this post and any others you participate in from this day forward).

Carry on belittling intelligent folks with your drivel. You are acting like a bully, and it is unbecoming of an adult and a leader in an organization.

:doh:

You seem to be doing the same thing here. IExcept I'm not here posting my opinion and expecting everyone to jump on the bandwagon. Reading a post, or studying a book does not make you an expert. Hands on experience over several years will get you close to the expert status, but not always.

I am providing my own real world experience. As anyone will tell you the real world is much different than the world of lawyers, escape clauses, and engineers who need to justify their jobs. Your insights are no different than mine, an opinion based on your own truths. So think what you want, call me whatever you want. Yes I am officer of NAXJA but I am a member first, and someone with a wealth of real world knowledge. I'm just passing this along to the masses.

My whole problem is with some guy being too scared to drive his rig home because he bought into a bunch of internet hype about the "right" way to do things. Everyone has their own idea of the right way. Just because I have a different opinion from the internet experts does not mean I am wrong. They are just beleiving the hype rather than the facts.

Jeeper John seems like an OK guy who is looking out for his customers. He is far less offended by my posts than you are, and none of them were directed at you. Seems like he gets what the argument is about, not a personal attack but a debate on the need ofr some 20 minute test drive.

Maybe you are the one with the problem?

Nobody is going to cite me for unloading my pistols before I clean them, and although it may not be completely necessary (really, what are the chances the thing will go off?) I do it anyhow.

I wear my seat belt, not only because it’s the law but because I’d like to live through the very unlikely event of a real bad collision. Since I began driving, it’s safe to say I have driven thousands and thousands of times, and yet still I have had no collision. Should I think it’s all hype then? Nah.

I don’t get wasted and drive a trail, I don’t weld without a hood on, I check how deep the water is before diving in, and I look both ways before crossing the street. As I said before, NO, there is no guarantee that your gear set is going to fail if you just get in and start romping. In fact, chances are it won’t if it’s installed right. IF. I’ll continue to break in my new gear sets the way the manufacturers recommend and if you don’t like doing that, heck, you don’t have to! That is the beauty of it all. :)

Brian C.

I had a beautiful reply all ready to send, but I don't need to heap my manure on top of the pile.

I would like to point out that your own "Test Drive" process creates a 15-25 minute break in followed by a cool down. And therefore your arguments against a 20 minute break in are amusing

We are all a reflection of the organization, some more than others. I am going to pull out of this thread while I can still be proud of myself.

Charles B.

Why are we getting so hung up on the "20 minutes" thing? It's not about the time at all, only the fact that the manufacture recommends that you get the gears nice and hot and let them cool down once or twice before romping on the skinny pedal. Now, that is only what the gear manufacturers recommend (and all of them do). If you've had good experiences without going through some sort of break-in procedure with your gear sets then more power to ya, but it's just simply what the manufacturers installation instructions recommend. Will it guarantee better life from your gears? No. Only proper installation will. But for some reason the companies that put out these aftermarket R&P's seem to all agree that a warm up/cool down type break-in procedure is worthy of being in everyone of their installation instructions.

Brian C.

I had a beautiful reply all ready to send, but I don't need to heap my manure on top of the pile.

I would like to point out that your own "Test Drive" process creates a 15-25 minute break in followed by a cool down. And therefore your arguments against a 20 minute break in are amusing

We are all a reflection of the organization, some more than others. I am going to pull out of this thread while I can still be proud of myself.

Charles B.

Well thanks for being the bigger person. :confused:

My test drive lasts 10 minutes max. It is more about the vehicle being put together correctly than breaking in the gears.

Nobody is going to cite me for unloading my pistols before I clean them, and although it may not be completely necessary (really, what are the chances the thing will go off?) I do it anyhow.

I wear my seat belt, not only because it’s the law but because I’d like to live through the very unlikely event of a real bad collision. Since I began driving, it’s safe to say I have driven thousands and thousands of times, and yet still I have had no collision. Should I think it’s all hype then? Nah.

I don’t get wasted and drive a trail, I don’t weld without a hood on, I check how deep the water is before diving in, and I look both ways before crossing the street. As I said before, NO, there is no guarantee that your gear set is going to fail if you just get in and start romping. In fact, chances are it won’t if it’s installed right. IF. I’ll continue to break in my new gear sets the way the manufacturers recommend and if you don’t like doing that, heck, you don’t have to! That is the beauty of it all. :)

But do you "lather, rinse, and then repeat?"

:cheers:

I figured since I was accused of padding my post count I'll send up another one here.

So what did we learn here? Taking it easy during the first few hundred miles on a new gear set is a good idea. Changing the oil after 500 miles is a good idea. Checking your work after installing the gears by giving the vehicle a proper test drive is a good idea.

Would I worry about stopping after 20 minutes of driving? Is it that critical? The honest answer is NO. Will this "hurt" the differential either way? Probably not. Are all gear sets created equal? No. Would I suggest driving for 4 hours straight right after getting new gears installed, no.

Battling the common internet wisdoms is how we progress. I remember not so many years ago the debate being about the need for sway bars, long arms vs short arms, unorthodox winch mounting. The list goes on and on. All these common internet wisoms were shown to be unfounded.

As stated multiple times by multiple people in this thread, go ahead and break in your gears however you like. It probably won't make much of a difference one way or the other.

Back