• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulled by the Po-Po

OjXj

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday I got pulled by the WSP in Mount Vernon on my way to work. Doing the very reasonable 60 mph (actually I only go 60-65 mph in the 70 mph zone too because that's what feels comfortable). Straight away I knew it was the lifted Jeep thing. I didn't have my registration with me because I don't like to leave it in the Jeep. He asked me about mud flaps and I showed him a receipt where I bought those removable ones about a month or so before but had issues fitting them so hadn't gotten around to it. Then he looked at my door jamb sticker at the GVWR and measured my bumpers and I start to pucker. The front bumper he said was 27" and it should be 22" and the rear was 25" and it should be 22". He said he wasn't going to give me a ticket but gave me an inspection ticket where I have to get it fixed in 30 days and signed off. Then he said he liked my Sirius radio install in my overhead console. I guess he was being nice and said he gave me more time than usual.

So the mudflaps I can handle (tho I need ones for the front now too) and I even just ordered some flare extensions in case when I get it signed off they hit me for having about an inch of tire outside the flares. I measured the front bumper and I suppose you could say it IS 27" to the lower part of the front face of the bumper but it also ramps down about at least 6" below that towards the D30 - Trail Ready bumper. The rear is bone stock.

So do I put tiny tires on it and get it signed off (if they will even fit - back space is prob going to be an issue)? Or do I fab some kind of weird temporary bumper extensions? Its my DD and I worry he's going to be looking out for me now.

Trying to look on the bright side - no ticket, I wasn't flooded out last week, I have my health, its Christmas, blah blah...

I had the same thing happen to me in Bellingham. Actually it was twice in one night. He gave me a fix it ticket, I went on my merry way, and haven't been pulled over since. Jeep is still the same height. Didn't change a thing. I live in Everett now and have never even been pulled over. I wouldn't worry about it.

Flatten your tires, hold a tape measure up showing you are now at legal height, take a picture (not showing your flattened tires). Take it to court, tell the judge you lowered your rig to make it legal and have proof (the photo). Done deal. :D

John

Yeah - I go Mukilteo to Bellingham three times a week and for the past year the WSP has sailed past me on numerous occasions and not bothered. Same with Mukilteo and B'ham police. I guess it was just my time. To be honest the WSP pulled me once before for mudflaps and never mentioned the bumper - just a different guy, different day.

I might rig up some ghetto PVC pipe on a bracket to lower both ends and paint it body color - just as good as whatever passes for "bumpers" today on modern cars which to me are nothing more than a glorified spoiler. Then I'll take them off when I feel a little more comfortable but I'll leave the flaps on for now. I do see all kinds of people running with no bumpers at all.

do the trick with flatenning the tires, take pics, make sure you have the ground and the bumper in the same pic, THEN contest it, chances are if he said that he liked something on your rig then he didnt fill out the affidavit and you can get away clean if you contest, or you could just put on some smaller tires and go have it inspected, check craigslist for some stock tires and wheels for cheap. good luck! i have gotten away with the same kind of stuff up here by contesting.

I am moving to WA in a couple months and wondering if it is like that everywhere? Here in KY they dont have any rules like that. Guys roll around here on 44's with no problems.

It depends on where you are, some small towns seem to have stricter cops who will nitpick. Ive only had problems for having exposed tires and the rooster tails they caused when it rained. Where are you moving to?

XJCasper said:
Is 22"s the State requirement or factory Jeep height?

from what i have heard lately it depends on the weight of the rig.(the heavier,the higher,
and as far as small towns go...it depends what small town your in, around where i live you are usually ok unless you daily drive a monster truck!!!!! the town clowns usually leave ya alone but staters tell ya to go sit in the sand before they bend over, and they dont supply any kind of lubrication!!!! if ya know what i mean, and tires sticking out more than 4 inches need flares, and you need mud flaps at least half way down your tire or more if you want to score brownie points.

If they really want to nit pick, bumper drops are illegal too. Law is 4" bumper face attached directly to the frame. Just FYI

Also, he said he didn't get a ticket, how is he supposed to show up for court?!? From my experience, he has to show it to a cop in person. If you go smaller tires, remember ever 2 inches of tire drops the bumper 1 inch. For example, if you're running 33's, you have to run 23" tires to get your height right.

Good Luck

The front bumper he said was 27" and it should be 22" and the rear was 25" and it should be 22". He said he wasn't going to give me a ticket but gave me an inspection ticket where I have to get it fixed in 30 days and signed off.

from origanal post!

fix it ticket!!!!!! means they want to see if you fixed it! stock tires should do the trick,air them down a lot! that is if you dont have the option to contest where showing pics would get you off the hook for sure, they wont waste any more time if you do your home work and prove your point as innocent or in compliance, trust me i know a thing or 2 about how shit goes down in mt vernon and skagit county in general! i have been there more than my fair share!!!! from dragging mini trucks on the ground throwing sparks to driving trucks lifted well over the legal limit with 44's

Last edited:
ive been in LOTS of trouble and have a lot of freinds who have been in truoble with the law around here! LOL. odds are that the judge will throw this one out with a few pics with a measuring tape in them! i have gotten wiser in my old age!!!!!

Well the Stater said that if I get the fix-it signed it will be like the whole thing never happened. If I don't then I will get a ticket and its at that point that I guess I could contest it. However I am going to try and comply by adding something to the bumper that I can remove easily but is sturdy enough to withstand any scrutiny. There should be enough mounting areas on the front to add some kind of large tube to bring it down far enough. On the rear I will try and get a tube welded to a hitch mounting so that will be sturdy and removable. If I put the stock wheels on I will have backspacing issues and that would only bring it down 3" which still doesnt get me to 22" - and it would look even more silly than a large tube on the front. I'd rather roll that way. He did say I could get it signed by a WSP or any local cop. I do know a friend who is good friends with a local chief of police...

If it were me I would first of all find out exactly what the RCW's say. I know that there are both issues with bumper height as well as lift laws etc. I would find out exactly what they say first. Then I agree with finding alternative ways of complying (extentions etc that will have the correct height. you might try a hitch mounted bumper in front and rear?

Photo's I don't believe will work, the truck should be there in person at the police station that you get it signed off.

Michael

I agree with the photo thing - I don't think that will fly. I am actually wondering whether a stinger type affair using my shackle recovery points as a hinge would work. When I'm on the highway I could rotate it to the down position so that its a lower bumper and then when I'm on the trails rotate it to the up position so that it protects the winch, headlights and front edge of the hood. Of course if I could retain the recovery points at the same time that would be idea. I don't have the resources to weld and fab tho but I'll pay a trip to a good metalworks place in B'ham that I know.

The rear will still be a hitch mounted drain pipe affair.

Thanks for all the help anyway guys - its turning into a little project actually. I should drive my Subaru more - but then I'll just get in trouble for speeding.

mud1059 said:
If they really want to nit pick, bumper drops are illegal too. Law is 4" bumper face attached directly to the frame. Just FYI

Also, he said he didn't get a ticket, how is he supposed to show up for court?!? From my experience, he has to show it to a cop in person. If you go smaller tires, remember ever 2 inches of tire drops the bumper 1 inch. For example, if you're running 33's, you have to run 23" tires to get your height right.

Good Luck
Wrong. Bumper must be at least 4.5" wide. it can be wider. WAC 204-90-040

On vehicle height, it depends. The bumper heights he quoted you are for cars. If you go by GVWR, 0-4500 is 24" front, 26" rear. 4501-7500 is 27" front, 29" rear. WAC 204-90-040

Back