• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible economic riots/Martial law

Another potential thought -
With the economic situation being what it is, a lot of people are making difficult decisions about what order things are being paid - meaning that your car payment may go out a few days late so you can afford food when you are about to run out (after all - if you can't eat, you don't need a car, right?)

Creditors are panicking, and if you're even a couple of days late (but still well inside the grace period!) they're calling you. I swear, it's like they're using "war diallers" (perhaps I should build a few myself. Have to see if I've still got plans...)

I'm quite certain this is happening all across the country.

I wonder if the riots will be initially catalysed by the creditors - panicking, pestering people, and generally making arses of themselves? And if the first people up against the wall are the middlin' lenders who are panicking in the first place?

It do make one wonder...

I wonder if the riots will be initially catalysed by the creditors -
It do make one wonder...

It will be an assination of a major figure. It will be an unpopular court decision (like a Rodney King or Dan White). It will be a large nationwide corporation or industry going into complete failure putting thousands out of work. It will be a natural disaster. It will be a WMD release. or a combination of any of the above.

Who knows what will be the igniter but I believe the fuel is present. :firedevil and I used to be an optimist

It will be an assination of a major figure. It will be an unpopular court decision (like a Rodney King or Dan White). It will be a large nationwide corporation or industry going into complete failure putting thousands out of work. It will be a natural disaster. It will be a WMD release. or a combination of any of the above.

Who knows what will be the igniter but I believe the fuel is present. :firedevil and I used to be an optimist

Weeeee....hopefully it's Yellowstone. :rof:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/en...e-Park-shaken-by-hundreds-of-earthquakes.html

Maybe it'll take out the Midwest and Southwest...leaving the East and West Coasts. Then Cali can fall off into the water, leaving us alone in OR and WA. :cheers:

Just lemme get the Hell out of here first. (No, I'm not going to "bring California with me." I grew up in IN, and I never have gotten used to CA...)

. Then Cali can fall off into the water,

There was a book written in the 1970's titled "The Late Great State of California" that was based on an earthquake that put California into the Pacific. Interesting read about the uniqueness of CA and the effects the state has on the rest of the nation.

Interesting, I was watching one of those home buyers shows on home and garden TV last nite, they were showing a couple trying to find a 'secluded' home on the turks and calico's islands, $1million on up seems to be the entry fee :D, apparently many are trying to get away. A view of your docked boat though is worth an extra $200,000. :D :D :D. I've been poking around looking at land out in mid north pa, south of corning, land prices are good and it is pretty rural with no job market to support other than local business and those with independent means and income.

I think the "age of information" has increased the general paranoia of everyone. Then again, I'm somewhat of a conspiracy theorist anyways.

Me and my girlfriend have started an emergency closet; it's got food and supplies and such. The inital plan is to last 72 hrs with no electricity/gas/water. This is in case the New Madrid slips and pimp smacks us.

Long-range goal is to be much more self sufficient, though. Good thing about living around here is that there is a lot of "open space" to get away from other people.

On topic: I read somewhere (here maybe?) about soldiers starting to guard some tunnels in DC.

Me and my girlfriend have started an emergency closet; it's got food and supplies and such. The inital plan is to last 72 hrs with no electricity/gas/water. This is in case the New Madrid slips and pimp smacks us.

Having grown up in California, this is second nature. Here's a tip, sharpie marker and date everything. Rotate the stock of canned goods and be aware of spoilage. Also purchase a back packing or camper water filter/purifier kit. You won't necessarily have the time, nor fuel source to distill your drinking water.

Having grown up in California, this is second nature. Here's a tip, sharpie marker and date everything. Rotate the stock of canned goods and be aware of spoilage. Also purchase a back packing or camper water filter/purifier kit. You won't necessarily have the time, nor fuel source to distill your drinking water.

Good idea on the labeling. When we stocked up on foods, we picked canned goods that had a shelf life of 5+ yrs. Some was only 2-3 yrs.

Another good idea for the water purifier. We have a crap ton of water, but it doesn't hurt to have some filters for the long-term.

Long-range goal is to be much more self sufficient, though. Good thing about living around here is that there is a lot of "open space" to get away from other people.

I carry 72hrs with me every time I leave the house. You *really* need at least a week to start with at the home. I figure the 72hr would be what I need to get my way back home... Take a look though at Katrina and how long it took to get stuff back in there. If you had a real disaster like an earthquake, is 72hrs going to be enough? That's only 3 days...

Easiest way to build your stock is to pick up a buck or two worth of beans, rice, etc. every time you go to the grocery store. We have a "$5 rule" in our house where we budget $5 extra into every trip, even if it's for a couple days' worth of normal groceries. We pick up the shelf-stable food that's on sale and pack it into sealed buckets with the dates written on them. Buckets are brightly colored so we can find them easily in case of a disaster where things shift apart. We've got stored items, in duplicate, off site and above water table in a safe place. If we need to vacate we have the 72hr packs to get us to the next location.

Well, we're just starting from scratch, so we started with 72 hrs. Our supplies will continue to get increased through time until we have a good selection to last us a while.

Right now, we don't carry 72 hrs of supplies with us when we leave the house. In general, when severe/winter weather threatens, we tend to be more prepared and alert (which is the case with most people, I'd imagine).

I do like the idea of using sealed, brightly colored buckets. I think we may do something like that. I'm also working on getting the rig all fixed up, ready to go whenever.

Maybe it'll take out the Midwest and Southwest...leaving the East and West Coasts. Then Cali can fall off into the water, leaving us alone in OR and WA. :cheers:

Naw it will trigger off all the fountain cones in your neck of the woods. MMmmmm, lahars and pyroclastic mudflows. Those mountains have snow on 'em year round?

I carry 72hrs with me every time I leave the house. You *really* need at least a week to start with at the home. I figure the 72hr would be what I need to get my way back home... Take a look though at Katrina and how long it took to get stuff back in there. If you had a real disaster like an earthquake, is 72hrs going to be enough? That's only 3 days...

Easiest way to build your stock is to pick up a buck or two worth of beans, rice, etc. every time you go to the grocery store. We have a "$5 rule" in our house where we budget $5 extra into every trip, even if it's for a couple days' worth of normal groceries. We pick up the shelf-stable food that's on sale and pack it into sealed buckets with the dates written on them. Buckets are brightly colored so we can find them easily in case of a disaster where things shift apart. We've got stored items, in duplicate, off site and above water table in a safe place. If we need to vacate we have the 72hr packs to get us to the next location.

Do you pick up a roll of foil every time you go grocery shopping too?

:D

Do you pick up a roll of foil every time you go grocery shopping too?

:D

Thinking of foil, it just dawned on me, the tin foil thing, did they ever make "TIN" foil? All I ever saw was alluminum foil. LOL.

:eyes:

Well from some of what I have been reading, the dry shipping industry will be one of the first recover, and is one of the most beat up areas right now too.

Search the details on stock symbols DRYS EXM PRGN just to name a few, and the BDI, Baltic Dry Index, which is their leading daily economic indicator. They pay great dividends, and are selling for less than book value (like 20% of book) and at a P/E ratio of .5 to 1.5, but if Great Depression II arrives they may be over priced, LOL. I bought all three in the last 2 weeks.

My sister made about 20,000% return on DRYS the last 3-4 years. She bought low and sold high before the crash.

Well thanks to buying the stocks I listed above, my retirement account went up 10% in value yesterday. Not bad for a one day return on investment, ROI. A few weeks like that and I might be able to afford my own get away island, LOL.

Only problem is I'd be bored as hell.

Speaking of riots, I am still more worried about my local police being out of control. Yesterday in the local TV news we heard that the local police (City of Bellaire inside of Houston, TX), a police officer stopped a car that his computer showed as stolen (it was not, first mistake). He had the driver, a high school boy, about 17 on the ground on his back telling him he was driving a stolen car, the kids mother who got out of the car, from the passenger seat, to try and explain to the officer that the car was theirs, and it was not stolen, the cop proceeded to physically harass the mother (don;t knoe exact details yet), the son sat up to ask the cop to stop, and the cop shot the son who was unarmed, and sitting on the ground. The boy was a high schooll baseball star headed for the pros, he has liver damage from the bullet wound, unknown long term prognosis. Cop is on suspension leave.

It may be the police that start the riots with this kind of BS going on almost weekly just in our local news alone, and we don't have a serious employment, real estate problem here, yet.

Just heard that one of the largest petro chemical complexes in the Houston area, Lyondell which is now owned by the third largest petro XX? company,a Dutch company, may file chapter 11 bankruptcy any day. Seems the Dutch owner is in trouble over loans it used to buy up other companies, and the losses in it's chemical industry recently.

Back