• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

police interceptor

I typed "police package specs" and found a couple of threads listing the specs, and how to identify one. Maybe you're doing it wrong?
what kills me is all the flack people give when they click on the thread, see that it is a repeat question, and then actually take the effort to write a response telling someone that this has been asked before, and get upset because it wasted their time

it was also the model offered by ford as a version of the Crown Vic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Crown_Victoria_Police_Interceptor

never seen it used in the context of anything but the ford though

Actually..The Ford PI (Performance Improved; NOT police interceptor) package was for all fleet vehicles. Ford has not made a "Police Interceitor" in probably 30 years (if ever). This means taxi's were also subject to the treatment. In later years, they used the town car chassis that allowed for something like 4 to 6 inches of rear door space for police cars & taxi's.

Typically the package was heavy duty electrical system to support lights & radio's, late 90's PI's got a different intake (later all versions got the PI intake), a slightly different engine management package, and a stiffer suspension. One of the car mags did a head to head of a stock Crown Vic LS versus a Stock Crown Vic PI (loaded with standard police equipment) and found out the
civi model was 2 tenth's faster do to the extra weight of the police equipment.

If you doubt anything I'm saying, check out www.crownvic.net for the best info about PI Crown Vic's.

I only know what I know because I've got a 99 Grand Marquis with afew "special" modifications.

XJ Interceptor (LOL) That sounds like an oxymoron like "government assistance" or "military intelligence". About the only thing one could intercept would be a Suzuki Sidekick. They could also probably also overtake hikers. About like Crown Vic Interceptors. A big 230 HP engine. The days of the high powered police cruisers are long gone, due to liability issues.
My state uses Hemi Chargers (368HP) State police has a couple of nice unmarked units.

Actually..The Ford PI (Performance Improved; NOT police interceptor) package was for all fleet vehicles. Ford has not made a "Police Interceitor" in probably 30 years (if ever). This means taxi's were also subject to the treatment. In later years, they used the town car chassis that allowed for something like 4 to 6 inches of rear door space for police cars & taxi's.

Typically the package was heavy duty electrical system to support lights & radio's, late 90's PI's got a different intake (later all versions got the PI intake), a slightly different engine management package, and a stiffer suspension. One of the car mags did a head to head of a stock Crown Vic LS versus a Stock Crown Vic PI (loaded with standard police equipment) and found out the
civi model was 2 tenth's faster do to the extra weight of the police equipment.

If you doubt anything I'm saying, check out www.crownvic.net for the best info about PI Crown Vic's.

I only know what I know because I've got a 99 Grand Marquis with afew "special" modifications.

Are you sure about that? Is that why google returns over pages of Police Interceptor hits from crownvic.net?

Is this badge 30 years old?
policeinceptor.jpg

Last edited:
Are you sure about that? Is that why google returns over pages of Police Interceptor hits from crownvic.net?

Is this badge 30 years old?
policeinceptor.jpg

You're kidding me. Putting a badge on a car does not make it a "Police Interceptor" as defined earlier in this very thread. The badge was a gimmick by Ford. I actually have one of those sitting on my desk right now. I got it on ebay for like $7, or you can get them from the dealership for $15.

My 97 XJ was a fleet public service Jeep. It's pretty much a plane jane XJ. *IF* I put a "Police Interceptor" badge on my jeep, will it be a police interceptor?

Now, back to your regular scheduled thread, and off of this tangent.

i appreciate the info guys and tim i appolagize for the comment but i am getting frustrated with people telling me to use the search instead of just helping with some info. i did the search and it didn't yeild the information i was asking.

You're kidding me. Putting a badge on a car does not make it a "Police Interceptor" as defined earlier in this very thread. The badge was a gimmick by Ford. I actually have one of those sitting on my desk right now. I got it on ebay for like $7, or you can get them from the dealership for $15.

My 97 XJ was a fleet public service Jeep. It's pretty much a plane jane XJ. *IF* I put a "Police Interceptor" badge on my jeep, will it be a police interceptor?

Now, back to your regular scheduled thread, and off of this tangent.

All I'm saying is that you stated Ford hasn't made a "Police Interceptor" model in 30 years. You post a link to a crown vic forum, which has over 300 pages of references to said "Police Interceptor". I'm not claiming to be an expert on vics. Just asking if you were 100% confident about the info that you provided. The wiki states that CVPI's and P71's were inteceptors, but we all know that wikipedia can be wrong.

My neighbor has a regular Crown Vic and one that has the police interceptor badge. If wikipedia is correct, the regular one will have P70 in the VIN while the interceptor will have P71. I'll try to get a peak at it a little later.

The police package I crawled thru at a salvage yard had rubber mats, not carpet. If it has the bench seat, it will have column shift and and underdash emergency brake, no console, and may not have the guage cluster.

Different jurisdictions, budgetary restraints, and missions checked off different options.

Good point - there was also a "fleet" version (the Forest Service got a lot of these) that had a stripped-down interior without the PD goodies. This was classified as the "X1" instead of the "XJ" - had rubber mate vice carpeting, no power options, and the like.

(Now, if I can just get the front end of an MJ park brake assembly... My carpeting will be coming out in favour of Herculiner as part of the refit anyhow.)

what kills me is all the flack people give when they click on the thread, see that it is a repeat question, and then actually take the effort to write a response telling someone that this has been asked before, and get upset because it wasted their time

What the heck are you talking about? I'm not whining, I was just saying maybe he wasn't looking for the right info, and pointed out three words that would yield the info.

If I wanted to whine about people asking the same stupid questions over and over again, I'd be all over OE tech freaking out every time someone says they've replaced everything but the radiator, but are still overheating, or every "no start- not like the other 10,000 'no start' threads". Chill out.

What the heck are you talking about? I'm not whining, I was just saying maybe he wasn't looking for the right info, and pointed out three words that would yield the info.

If I wanted to whine about people asking the same stupid questions over and over again, I'd be all over OE tech freaking out every time someone says they've replaced everything but the radiator, but are still overheating, or every "no start- not like the other 10,000 'no start' threads". Chill out.
wasn't directed at you, just a generalization. sorry if quoting you gave you that idea.

Here are some of the Old X1 Specs:

Model Super 30 /186 Front

1999 X1 Non-Disconnect
610906-1 Standard 3.55
610906-2 Standard 4.10

1999 X1 Non-Disconnect w/ABS
610907-1 Standard 3.55

1999 X1 (Dead Front)

2000 X1 (Dead Front)

Here's the New Jeep X1 small SUV coming to America via Fiat. www.leftlanenews.com

x1.jpg

i appreciate the info guys and tim i appolagize for the comment but i am getting frustrated with people telling me to use the search instead of just helping with some info. i did the search and it didn't yeild the information i was asking.

Then say I searched but couldn't find anything when you first post! :cheers:

Typically the package was heavy duty electrical system to support lights & radio's, late 90's PI's got a different intake (later all versions got the PI intake), a slightly different engine management package, and a stiffer suspension. One of the car mags did a head to head of a stock Crown Vic LS versus a Stock Crown Vic PI (loaded with standard police equipment) and found out the civi model was 2 tenth's faster do to the extra weight of the police equipment.

I find that hard to believe. I know just dropping in a police PCM into my 01 Grand Marquis made quite a difference in power. And the Police motors are stronger. Forged components instead of cast, etc., all compared to the civilian cars.

And the Police motors are stronger. Forged components instead of cast, etc., all compared to the civilian cars.

Trust me they're the same. I've seen pictures from STAP (St. Thomas Assembly Plant in Ontario). They all roll off the same assembly line, made of 99% of the same exact parts. Same as a police XJ versus a civi XJ.

The intakes were different (including the airbox and snorkle), the computer had a different program, and there were afew other things. If you doubt me, ask on www.crownvic.net.

If I'm wrong, show me the part number differences. I looked up an 01 Crown Vic piston on autozone's website. It only lists one, and it's cast. Same with the crank.

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust AutoZone to provide the correct information. I bet it lists the same brakes for civilian and police variants too?

Also I believe the cams were different for civilian vs. police. And a forged crank.

The intake box and ziptube have all been the same from what I have seen. The only difference in the intake manifolds being the coolant runner on the front of the intake for the civilian cars being plastic while it was aluminum on the cruisers.

Back on subject though, enough discussing Panthers on an XJ forum.

Back