• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

peugeot 2.3L turbo diesel questions

My 2.5 turbo diesel gets 27-28MPG.

That's not a whole lot better than what I get from my 4.6 stroker if I drive it with some restraint.
1/4 mile: 14.63 @ 94.4, 3450lb kerb
AX15, NP231, D30/D35
Jeep Performance, Jeep Tech, Junker to Stroker

Last edited:
That's not a whole lot better than what I get from my 4.6 stroker if I drive it with some restraint.

Also if Diesel is more expensive than 87 octane like it is here in CO, the swap would end up being a lose/lose in terms of cost and power.

However, the unique and cool factor always seems to trump everything else. :cheers:

1/4 mile: 14.63 @ 94.4, 3450lb kerb
AX15, NP231, D30/D35
Jeep Performance, Jeep Tech, Junker to Stroker

[offtopic]
If only you could imagine how much I want a 4.6 stroker. But local taxes are around $1.5k / year for a 4.0.
[/offtopic]

Last edited:
well this looks like its a go...picking up the engine and mj on tuesday. the gas engines that they put in the 504's were able to get 20-23 mpg's...however i've heard mixed reports on the diesel. some have claimed 35-40 mpg's with the 2.3l diesel with a peugeot ba 10/5 tranny. the previous owner of the motor who seems very down to earth and has built/transplanted/rebuilt many diesel cars claimed the best he ever got was 42 in a peugeot 504. the curb weight of a peugeot 504 is 6000-6400lbs...so its a pig compared to a comanche. however, tire diameter is clearly different...so gears and tire size will play a big factor. regardless, this will be a neat project and i'll be sure to post some pics once i start digging into it

[offtopic]
If only you could imagine how much I want a 4.6 stroker. But local taxes are around $1.5k / year for a 4.0.
[/offtopic]

A 4.6 stroker looks the same as a 4.0 from the outside so the authorities wouldn't know the difference if you increased the displacement as long as you don't tell them. ;)

well today i bought an mj and a puegeot 2.3l diesel motor...all for around $500.

let the fun begin

Buy a second 2.3L motor and fuse the two of them together to make a 4.6L V8 diesel. How cool would that be? ;)

well this looks like its a go...picking up the engine and mj on tuesday. the gas engines that they put in the 504's were able to get 20-23 mpg's...however i've heard mixed reports on the diesel. some have claimed 35-40 mpg's with the 2.3l diesel with a peugeot ba 10/5 tranny. the previous owner of the motor who seems very down to earth and has built/transplanted/rebuilt many diesel cars claimed the best he ever got was 42 in a peugeot 504. the curb weight of a peugeot 504 is 6000-6400lbs...so its a pig compared to a comanche. however, tire diameter is clearly different...so gears and tire size will play a big factor. regardless, this will be a neat project and i'll be sure to post some pics once i start digging into it

Don't forget, the XJ also has the aerodynamics of a brick and that really takes a toll on fuel consumption. Don't forget to post pics :)

A 4.6 stroker looks the same as a 4.0 from the outside so the authorities wouldn't know the difference if you increased the displacement as long as you don't tell them. ;)

They're still 4.0 taxes, in 2 years I'm paying the full-price of the car again, in taxes. That's why I drive a 2.5 diesel :(

Last edited:
Don't be stupid. :nono:

You obviously missed the ;) in my post and took it too seriously.

They're still 4.0 taxes, in 2 years I'm paying the full-price of the car again, in taxes. That's why I drive a 2.5 diesel :(

Oh OK. I was under the impression you had a 4.0. Are you in the UK?
I don't blame you for driving a VM turbodiesel model in those circumstances. Indeed most of the Jeeps sold in Europe are turbodiesels 'cause with the price of unleaded petrol (gasoline) and low sulphur diesel being astronomically high, even just 5mpg better fuel economy translates into a substantial annual cost saving if you drive high mileages. Add the lower taxes of a smaller engine and it all makes sense.

Last edited:
Not UK, I live in Romania, more precisely Transylvania :)

Anyway, some info on the Peugeot 504, to ease the "comparison". Looks like the 4x4 station wagon version is 3362lbs unloaded. And compared to the regular station wagon it has a frame, rear axle and transfer case added, a good couple of hundred lbs more than a regular station wagon.
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/articles/504_dangel.htm

So I still hold my guess of similar mileage to what I get. Possibly even less if the engine is less powerful than the 2.5 TD :(
I do have 3.73 gears stock, which for a diesel equipped XJ on stock tires is a good compromise between off and on-road behaviour. 3.55 would feel a bit better suited for lots of highway miles.
The 2.1 TD XJ's had 4.10 gears to compensate for the lack of power.

Anyway, some info on the Peugeot 504, to ease the "comparison". Looks like the 4x4 station wagon version is 3362lbs unloaded. And compared to the regular station wagon it has a frame, rear axle and transfer case added, a good couple of hundred lbs more than a regular station wagon.
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/articles/504_dangel.htm

So I still hold my guess of similar mileage to what I get. Possibly even less if the engine is less powerful than the 2.5 TD :(
I do have 3.73 gears stock, which for a diesel equipped XJ on stock tires is a good compromise between off and on-road behaviour. 3.55 would feel a bit better suited for lots of highway miles.
The 2.1 TD XJ's had 4.10 gears to compensate for the lack of power.

you are right...in more detailed research the 504 is similar in weight to the manche. one of the sites i found had some great info that was completely incorrect lol. i don't expect it to get 42mpg's by any means...its more of a way to curb my curiosity as to whether the motor will bolt up to the tranny with no issues. it will probably be an experiment in gears/tires to figure out the right combo to get the best mileage. im going to add a small intercooler, better air intake and do a few things to make the engine run a little more efficiently. i don't really expect to "turn it up" much if at all. its a much stronger engine that the renault 2.1's that they put in the td manches available stateside. it also has chain driven timing, the stock pump is a bosch and it actually has a few different hole patterns allowing for the use of different injection pumps, the block is sleeved and it is fully mechanical. (other than the pump shutoff solenoid) i hoisted it out of the back of the xj yesterday and onto a dolly in the shop and its a fairly light motor for a turbo diesel. it will be interesting to see what happens when the motor runs through a transfer case and drive shafts (stock 505/504) used torque tubes to transfer power...there are a lot of unknowns in this experiment, and it could be a complete fail. even if it is, i shouldn't have any trouble recovering the money i have in it. im currently deep into another diesel conversion, so if i get bored i can just drop the 4bd1t that is going in my j10 into the manche and see what happens :)

you are right...in more detailed research the 504 is similar in weight to the manche. one of the sites i found had some great info that was completely incorrect lol. i don't expect it to get 42mpg's by any means...its more of a way to curb my curiosity as to whether the motor will bolt up to the tranny with no issues. it will probably be an experiment in gears/tires to figure out the right combo to get the best mileage. im going to add a small intercooler, better air intake and do a few things to make the engine run a little more efficiently. i don't really expect to "turn it up" much if at all. its a much stronger engine that the renault 2.1's that they put in the td manches available stateside. it also has chain driven timing, the stock pump is a bosch and it actually has a few different hole patterns allowing for the use of different injection pumps, the block is sleeved and it is fully mechanical. (other than the pump shutoff solenoid) i hoisted it out of the back of the xj yesterday and onto a dolly in the shop and its a fairly light motor for a turbo diesel. it will be interesting to see what happens when the motor runs through a transfer case and drive shafts (stock 505/504) used torque tubes to transfer power...there are a lot of unknowns in this experiment, and it could be a complete fail. even if it is, i shouldn't have any trouble recovering the money i have in it. im currently deep into another diesel conversion, so if i get bored i can just drop the 4bd1t that is going in my j10 into the manche and see what happens :)

Here is some good info on turning up old Bosch VE pumps:
http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/more_power/Power_ve.htm

It's also the same pump I have in mine but I'm waiting to do my exhaust before I start to turn it up. I already have an EGT gauge so I won't go overboard with the fuel :chef:

In that case give my regards to Count Dracula. ;) Your location is certainly a bit of a change from Pennsylvania.

You obviously missed my sarcasm. :D

Indeed I did but that's cool.

IIRC the Italian-built 2.5L VM Motori turbodiesel in the '96+ XJ had ratings of 114hp @ 3900rpm and 221lbft @ 2000rpm, so it was a big step forward compared to the Renault 2.1L turbodiesel that appeared in '85-'87 XJs with ratings of 85hp @ 3750rpm and 132lbft @ 2750rpm.

Last edited:
Back