• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Patriot Reviews

Jeff C.

NAXJA Forum User
I still would never condsider buying this vehicle; its alot more similiar to a Caliber than it is to a cherokee. Plus how could like a Jeep with independant front and rear suspension.

I don't get why those numnuts don't just face the fact and realize that the Cherokee was the best invention they ever had. Bring it back and atleast us 23,000 users on here would be happy to buy one anyway.

Jeff C. said:
I hate to say it but I think Jeep has a winner on hand with the Patriot. All of the on-line reviews I've read have been good and some of the reviewers actaully seem to know what they are talking about. Could the CVT2 low range actually work? $14,000 base and 30mpg along with the Jeep mystique are strong selling points.

http://www.rockcrawler.com/reviews/jeep/patriot_2007/first_drive/index.asp

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehicle_Reviews/SUVs_Wagons/2008_Jeep_Patriot.S181.A11810.html

Not to beat this subject to dust, but the comparison on the Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, Ford Escape makes perfect sense to those that think offroading is leaving the pavement, perhaps getting the sidewalls dusty.

Never seen any of these on the trails I run. I do like the Caliber, as a commuter car.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Here's one I was looking at earlier that you might find interesting...

The writer brought up an interesting point:

Original Article said:
One of the concepts I have been researching recently is the use of an ultra-light and efficient cross-over vehicle for moderate exploration and trail use.

This is something I've been interested in as well - remembering how effective the smaller 4x4s (Fiat Panda, Subaru Brat, Lada Niva, Citroen Mehari, etc.) I've owned were at doing what they did coupled with seeing vehicles on the trail that are way overbuilt for what they're being used for, the idea of less being more is rather appealing.

Interesting to note that for as much as the press disliked the Compass, they sure seem to be taking a shine to the Patriot.

casm said:
This is something I've been interested in as well - remembering how effective the smaller 4x4s (Fiat Panda, Subaru Brat, Lada Niva, Citroen Mehari, etc.) I've owned were at doing what they did coupled with seeing vehicles on the trail that are way overbuilt for what they're being used for, the idea of less being more is rather appealing.

I was actually, judging by the pictures on that site, surprisingly impressed with it. I'll have to wait and see how they really hold up. That and, i'm not completely warmed up to that body style yet.....front end has "compass" written all over it :puke:

I think the thing deserves real consideration for people with long commutes and mild off road needs. Its certainly no XJ, but I think Jeep will sell a ton of them.

The CVT still scares me and the manual isn't a consideration since I would want the off road package.

SEMA Patriot

Found this while looking for Patriot info:

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/top-2006-Jeep-Patriot-SEMA-Concept.htm

"Trail-rated and designed to maximize the capability of the most off-road worthy vehicle in its class. Custom suspension lift raises the suspension 2.5 inches over stock-ride height and provides over 11 inches of ground clearance – to make way for the 31-inch BFG Mud Terrain tires on 16-inch Jeep Moab rims supplied by Prime Wheel. The front fascia is replaced by a custom steel bumper designed to protect the front end while allowing for as much tire exposure as possible. Custom roof rack ensures there’s plenty of storage for any occasion. Auxiliary lighting brightens any dark trails."

99XJSPORT06 said:
I was actually, judging by the pictures on that site, surprisingly impressed with it.

For me at least, this was a vehicle that looked a lot different in the flesh than in photographs: at certain angles it was more like the Forester in real life than I would've thought from pictures alone.

bjoehandley said:
You'd think that should hurt the credibility of the automotive press

Point taken, but this is why I largely don't read the American car magazines - they're incapable of giving a vehicle a bad review for fear of annoying the advertisers, though this doesn't seem to have been much of a problem with the Compass. Having said that, the Expeditions West article was certainly an eye-opener in terms of vehicle ability - I'm willing to bet that 99% of potential owners would never push one that hard, but it still made it through pretty much everything they threw at it. Rather impressive for something intended to compete in the cute-ute market.

OK, the snow action for the Patriot got my attention. And I DO love the name... But for most everything else, I'll take my old minivan, at least it had articulation and ground clearance...
Mvc-589x.jpg

The linked pic below is too big for the forum...
http://www.geocities.com/phatfoto/cominatya.jpg

PS, I know a minivan isn't Trail Rated, but you can only imagine where a carefully driven mini CAN get... I took the minivan offroad as a JOKE about SUV owners at first, then I was surprised where I COULD go living in the Mojave desert.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but I really wanted to like this Concept. I'll have to see on in person i guess. It will never be an XJ (solid axles an X-fer case) but I may not hate completey if i see it in person. Also if it outsells the compass by a large margin, DC might decide the phase the compass out faster :D.

Back