• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oregon Introduces Bill to Prohibit Sale of Aftermarket Parts

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62515

At the request of Governor Theodore Kulongoski, the Oregon Speaker of the House has introduced legislation (H.B. 2186) to prohibit the sale and distribution of aftermarket motor vehicle parts if alternatives are available that “decrease greenhouse gas emissions from motor vehicles.” The bill is primarily focused on aftermarket tires and would authorize the Environmental Quality Commission to implement enforcement regulations, likely based on a rolling resistance calculation.

We Urge You to Contact Oregon Speaker of the House Dave Hunt and Members of the Environment and Water Committee (Contact Information Below) Immediately to Request Their Opposition to H.B. 2186

* H.B. 2186 would regulate vehicle fuel economy, an authority reserved to the federal government.

* H.B. 2186 could ban tires that may have improved performance, handling or appearance features, based solely on a rolling resistance rating. In addition, this program could easily distract consumers from focusing on more important safety issues such as tire inflation and overloading of vehicles.

* H.B. 2186 would force consumers to purchase only original equipment manufacturer (OEM) tires because the program essentially exempts OEM-selected tires and unfairly implies that they are superior to aftermarket products.

* H.B. 2186 could prohibit aftermarket parts designed to either personalize or optimize specific vehicle performance attributes including handling, towing, suspension, fuel economy, etc.

* H.B. 2186 provides broad authority to government regulators and could limit a range of aftermarket parts currently available to consumers based on the subjective determination of government regulators.

Surprised that its not kali, but not surprised that it happened.

Washington, Oregon, California...they are all about the same...similar kinds of attitudes.

This is wrong. What you see here is the Portland attitude not southern Oregon's. I am originally from Louisiana and I can tell you that Southern Oregon and the Portland are two different places and are at each other throats all the time.

This is wrong. What you see here is the Portland attitude not southern Oregon's. I am originally from Louisiana and I can tell you that Southern Oregon and the Portland are two different places and are at each other throats all the time.

NO modified 4wd's in 3 states that have a LOT of mountain terrain. Thats just stupid. I don't like those 3 states too much but i think if you want to modify your damn vehicle you should be able to since you own it! I feel sorry for good people who live in crappy states!

Well, by that logic, CA isn't bad either, it's just the big cities. Out here in the desert, we like guns, 4x4s and minding our own damn business! :D Unlike The northern half who likes to make laws restricting mods, tightening smog laws so older (as in like, 90's vehicles) have a hard time passing, etc.

Back