• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions on this welder?

I got a hobart handler 125, it works good to tack weld stuff in my drive way then go someplace with a bigger welder to finish it, the only problem i have with it is that it isnt a constant arc, it fluctuates alittle bit, but i was told this happens quiet a bit on single phase machines especially at 120 volts. this welder is fine for tackwelding but i would not use it to finish weld or build anything that my life or saftey depended on.

Those small welders are made for thin gauge metal...I wouldn't even think of trusting a weld on material over 10 gauge. The weld with a mig will lay in and appear to be really nice...but you have to fuse to the base metal...preheating with a torch can allow a decent weld on material otherwise too thick, but this must be approached with caution and experience...not to mention even a properly sized welder cannot overcome poor fit-up and technique..

I own a number of Hobarts & a Lincoln Square wave. Theres a new kid on the
block....well, really not that new, but check out: www.usaweld.com , they
are the makers of HTP Welders and these machines are truely incredable and
withstand the test of time. Price is fantastic. Inverter technology at its best.

I've used one of these machines at another shop, the arc was very stable,
excellent pentration, smooth results overhead & vertical.

When I replace one of my current rigs or add another, it will be a HTP.

2 Cent...

catyrpelius said:
I got a hobart handler 125, it works good to tack weld stuff in my drive way then go someplace with a bigger welder to finish it, the only problem i have with it is that it isnt a constant arc, it fluctuates alittle bit, but i was told this happens quiet a bit on single phase machines especially at 120 volts. this welder is fine for tackwelding but i would not use it to finish weld or build anything that my life or saftey depended on.
A welder is 95% transformer.

Transformer core saturation is one of the causes of what is happening to you.

A transformer that has low permeability is the hallmark of inxepensive welders. Secondary coil current output duty cycle, voltage stability and primary coil frequency tolerance are the sacrifices.

Silcone steel cores or go home.

--ron

Beej said:
I'd love to hear some thoughts on this thing from those in the know... Worth it, or not?
TIA.
B.
See above.

Transformers from China? Not exactly the hotbed of quality electronic parts. Sheesh, 8 transformers????

Like the write up says, lots of fun to make, maybe not so practical...

--ron

Captain Ron said:
Silcone steel cores or go home.

]

folks, it seems highly doubtful that you'll ever here this phrase used often!!!

go silcone steel cores or go home....

now thats awesome!!!

Robeport, listen....

I know you've got your heart set on a welder, and are trying desperately to figure out how to make that purchase with what you have RIGHT NOW.

don't do it.

SAVE YOUR MONEY

let the piggy bank work for you.

calm impulsive urges and wait.

soon, you will have enough to afford a 220VAC welder that you can be proud of, that won't be a purchasing mistake.

The economically challenged cannot AFFORD to be cheap.

again, I recommend the hobart 175 for your situation. If you had more bucks to throw around, I'd say licoln or miller. Contrary to internet spew, a hobart and miller are NOT the same welder, however, the Hobart is still a good machine, Ive used one and been under the hood to study it. I am die-hard Miller user who has recently switched to Lincoln, but I'd still recommend Hobart to anyone.

Yeah, I understand what you are saying Beezil and I've done quite a bit of research over the last couple days and I definately want to do it right the first time. I've go about $600 set aside for this, but I'd like to get a cylinder, and a nice auto dimming helmet as well. So I'll wait a couple weeks and keep my eye out for a decent deal on better welder.

I took a look at the Hobart 175 and was wondering which welder you would go with if you had the choice between the Hobart 175 and this Lincoln 175:
http://www.welders-direct.com/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WD&Product_Code=K1642-2

Once again, thanks for everyones help here.

robeport said:
Yeah, I understand what you are saying Beezil and I've done quite a bit of research over the last couple days and I definately want to do it right the first time. I've go about $600 set aside for this, but I'd like to get a cylinder, and a nice auto dimming helmet as well. So I'll wait a couple weeks and keep my eye out for a decent deal on better welder.

I took a look at the Hobart 175 and was wondering which welder you would go with if you had the choice between the Hobart 175 and this Lincoln 175:
http://www.welders-direct.com/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WD&Product_Code=K1642-2

Once again, thanks for everyones help here.

I agree with Beezil :eek: ...... hold off for 220v if you can. As mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, I just bought a new Millermatic 175, with cart and a full cylinder for $840 out the door from my local dealer. Based on your quoted $600 savings thus far, you are most of the way there. You will be much happier in the long run...

As for a welding helmet... I got a Harbor Freight one for a college welding course I just completed. For the weekend warrior, it does fine. I was a bit hesitant about it being Harbor Freight and all, but it's worked out really well for me... I was really surprised and impressed with it. Click here to see the one I got...

Ivan

Back