• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Operation Overcompensation

Goatman said:
Nice picture of a hub back there. :)

Got spare stubs and spindles?

I do have 3 spare stubs, all spicer though. I need to get a second set of alloys for the front end with those spare CTMs I got. I also have 4 (now three) spare hubs and a pair of slugs if need be.

Spare spindles though? I didn't know that was necessary.

Today didn't go as planned.....

My Dana 44 gear guy right now is probably drunk. Well....for a reason.

Last night, he ran into trouble because the bearing on the side of the ARB fell off and busted into pieces. He went out of his way today to call ARB to find out what the bearing was, since it was not a standard Dana 44 bearing. ARB told him it was a Dana 60 rear full float bearing so he drove to DynaTrac to pick it up. After getting home, he installed the bearing onto the ARB to complete my Dana 44 and some other part on the ARB took a sh!t so now we need to next day air the part. Tuesday looks like the new day to pick it up from him.

That is why he is drunk.

Earlier I checked on my rear axle and I was told either Wed, Thurs, or Friday of next week. Then I checked in on my tires and they won't arrive until monday but at this point it does not matter. Damn! :rattle:

All I got done today was I put my ARB compressor back together after sort of taking it apart to remove the solenoid I sold.
FileHandler.ashx

I cleaned up the edges on the rock rings a little and I cleaned up the garage a little and dragged out the other crap I have to work on.
FileHandler.ashx

cracker said:
Today didn't go as planned.....

My Dana 44 gear guy right now is probably drunk. Well....for a reason.

Last night, he ran into trouble because the bearing on the side of the ARB fell off and busted into pieces. He went out of his way today to call ARB to find out what the bearing was, since it was not a standard Dana 44 bearing. ARB told him it was a Dana 60 rear full float bearing so he drove to DynaTrac to pick it up. After getting home, he installed the bearing onto the ARB to complete my Dana 44 and some other part on the ARB took a sh!t so now we need to next day air the part. Tuesday looks like the new day to pick it up from him.

That is why he is drunk.

I just talked to the Gear Guy, and he claims to only had one Cocktail last night all be it a strong one... But all worries aside it is fixable... Sorry your axle plans are killed for the weekend...

Scott.

Clean-RC said:
Sorry your axle plans are killed for the weekend...

Scott.

I've heard a rumor that there is this guy named Murphy and sometimes he shows up unexpectedly...

I'd have no experience in this, whatsoever.

However, I do feel sorry for your gear guy, I hear people have been throwing all sorts of Murphy-esq projects at him lately to test his patience, poor chap.

Again, I have no experience in this, whatsoever. ;)

gcurtis said:
I've heard a rumor that there is this guy named Murphy and sometimes he shows up unexpectedly...

I'd have no experience in this, whatsoever.

However, I do feel sorry for your gear guy, I hear people have been throwing all sorts of Murphy-esq projects at him lately to test his patience, poor chap.

Again, I have no experience in this, whatsoever. ;)

God damn Murphy!

It is so bad there was even a vow by the gear guy that he would never touch an ARB again. :dunno:

cracker said:
It is so bad there was even a vow by the gear guy that he would never touch an ARB again. :dunno:

I think I heard this same gear guy say the same thing...BEFORE he worked on yours. :)

Again a light day for tasks but the grand majority of the work is when the axles are ready.

I don't feel comfortable going into the jeep until at least one axle is in. For those of you who go to junk yards (Captain
5booya.gif
), you know the feeling of yanking parts of a vehicle that is not on the stands really well? That is how I feel.

This is supposed to be a 'progress thread' but I am going to toss a tiny bit of tech in it today. (not too much though and definitly not advanced)

Todays project was modifying the the bump stops for the Prothane coil insets. The Prothane coil inserts are hollow so it is a must that a plate be placed onto the upper bump stop.

Started off by placing a hose clamp onto the bump stop to use as a saw guide when I use the sawzall.
ThumbHandler.ashx

Then I cut
ThumbHandler.ashx

Inside the bottom is a plate that I tapped to thread a bolt into:
ThumbHandler.ashx

Then I cut out two plates 2" x 2.5" 1/4" thick
ThumbHandler.ashx

Drilled them and using a Grade 8 bolt, threaden them into the bump stop.
ThumbHandler.ashx

And then with a little paint, they are done
FileHandler.ashx

I am heading back into the garage right now to try to rebuild my LCA with new bushings and maybe start the leaf packs.

Last edited:
cracker said:
I am heading back into the garage right now to try to rebuild my LCA with new bushings and maybe start the leaf packs.

Done :D

Tomorrow I am hoping to remove the existing brake master cylinder, put my ARB switches back together, modify my UCA a little more, and maybe install the leaf packs. :dunno:

cracker said:
Tomorrow I am hoping to remove the existing brake master cylinder, put my ARB switches back together, modify my UCA a little more, and maybe install the leaf packs. :dunno:

Done :D

And I started the brake lines but I am still waiting for the booster with the new pedal rod to come in.
FileHandler.ashx

I am sort of at a lull where I cannot do too much so probably nothing to do for tomorrow but I may get the front axle back on Tuesday and get that bad boy back under there.

Big meats showed up today. I still need to get the last one and swap out a damaged one for a new one.

ThumbHandler.ashx
ThumbHandler.ashx

Got a call from Currie saying my junk is done so I'm going to get up early tomorrow to go and pick it up and if all works well and my gear guy is sober, I may have the front axle tomorrow too. :D

I practiced tonight with the damn single/double flare tool. BTW those things suck donkey balls. I was able to do it but still, not even close to purfect. :mad:

Last edited:
cracker said:
I practiced tonight with the damn single/double flare tool. BTW those things suck donkey balls. I was able to do it but still, not even close to purfect. :mad:

Bring some tubing and I'll teach you how to use it :D

cracker said:

Yes they do.

I may run into you at Currie, my junk is going back to them today or tomorrow to fix the airline in the pumpkin they jacked up.

gcurtis said:
Yes they do.

I may run into you at Currie, my junk is going back to them today or tomorrow to fix the airline in the pumpkin they jacked up.

I missed you but I ran into Lockwood. :D

The Eagle has landed.

FileHandler.ashx

I prefer mine shaved!

gcurtis said:
Hahaha... that place is a hang out.

Man, that is sexy. What did you do for a locker?

I got chubb when I saw it too!

Well the actual specs are:

5.14 gears
Detroit
35 spline alloys
3/8 housing
double shaved high pinion

I have to establish the pinion angle, weld on the pads and shock mounts, run the brake lines, and then get the driveshaft shortened for it. I am hoping by Saturday it may be drivable :dunno:

cracker said:

Well get going, skippy. I would will call that thing if I were you... they are up in Glendale and charge a bit for shipping. I hear rumor that you can find them online and out of state and get them cheaper, not to mention no tax.

Oh yeah, FleetPride stopped carrying the fittings that I gave you part numbers on. I found another place called TruckParCo in Anaheim that has them (as will any truck parts house). Fittings and Adaptors (online) has them as well.

Back