• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM shock replacement - brand prefs?

Just FYI, in case any of u guys are running any bar pin eliminators. Bilstein uses an adhesive and glues the bar pin into the bushing. If you, like myself, try to press out the bar pins to use the BPE's, the whole bushing/bar pin assembly will come out, destroying itself in the process. So if you use bar pin eliminators with Bilsteins, get new shock eye bushings before you start. Local performance place had Poly Performance ones for like $3

Glad to hear you like the Bilsteins, and even gladder to see what you paid for them :) I've had a lot of nazi slot cars over the years and have come to the conclusion that for the cars with the zig-zag attachment I want to run either Bilstein or Koni, but they tend to be more expensive for those vehicles... So I was already leaning toward Bilstein for the XJ, but haven't got that far yet. I'll probably be looking for this thread a couple months from now :)

I had the cheaper Bilsteins (hard blue plastic sleeves) on my '92 for a few years, and combined with the urethane bushings I was running at the time, I found them a little too soft (?). Put new OEM-type arms and bushings back in, with Monro's version of SensaTracs, and wow, maybe too stiff! But, I don't mind...I've also got SensaTracks in my '96, but they're NAPA SensaTracs, identical part #'s, but seem to ride nicer. Of course, they've now got about 70k miles on 'em, but still perform great

And as far as the Bilsteins I gave up on, I paid too much to pitch them, and my son found them in the junk pile. He put them on his '96 Classic with UpCountry, and they are GREAT on there. Go figure!

Has anyone had good luck with shock warehouse?

Have not heard of them. What are their prices compared to Summit? I got my Bilstein shocks from Summit...with no tax+free shipping, they were the cheapest I could find. I think it was 250 or 260 total for all 4.

I got my 4x 5125's from Shock Warehouse. Price was right, but they had to split ship - got the rears in a few days, the fronts a week later.

I am quite happy with the shocks and the customer service from the Shock Warehouse guys was very good - more than enough to make up for the stock error.

Back