• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NY State lift and tire laws?

ROBZ95Xj

NAXJA Forum User
anyone know the laws in NY state on lift hieght and tire coverage?

there might be the tires wider than the fenders, mirror on right side laws. but then there's a dozen XJ's around my area of LI that run doorless/mirrorless and i have yet to hear about anyone caring about any of that.

That pdf is the only document I have ever seen in NY pertaining to passenger vehicles, they only mention bumper height,..... no flares/lift/or tires mentioned at all

thanks guys, there may be later on i may start driving up on the 33's i shouldnt have issues, or i hope i dont

I've been driving around for a month with no flares and tires that look like they have 2ft adapters on them, and I have to drive by the barracks no matter where I go and have never been pulled over, or even given a second look

doug

I've been running my tires for over a year now, I do have the flares, but never once has a cop had an issue with my rig. Why should they, it's a sharp looking rig, lol

In NY at least, from what I have seen they reallytdont worry too much, as long as it isnt a full blown buggy I woul bet they dont even blink... tere are thousands of worn out yota pickups tooling around with worse body work than my xj....

Last year I spoke to Sgt. John Beano of the NY state police he is the guru of vehical laws, He told me there are no laws specific to tire coverage, however there is a total width law. He did say however that there is always the "unsafe" loop hole that a Officer can drop on you.

Last year I spoke to Sgt. John Beano of the NY state police he is the guru of vehical laws, He told me there are no laws specific to tire coverage, however there is a total width law. He did say however that there is always the "unsafe" loop hole that a Officer can drop on you.

What's the width law ?

it's been a while but I seem to recall 84 inches, whatever it was it was crazy wide so I didn't worry about it. But don't take my word for it do what I did and call the State Police and ask they will usually help you but make sure you ask them if they know for sure I got three different answers that started out with "I think it's". I asked if they could tell me what law it was and none of them could, eventually I got directed to talk to Sgt Beno, he didn't know either so he said he would find out, and a day later he called me back saying he could find no law about tire coverage. Proving that cops are people too..well some are:spin1:

Back