• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 242 Locked Up

CamoChero

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, this is my first post on here so please don't take it easy on me, lol. Ok, a couple of weeks ago I bought a 1988 XJ that some one had replaced the stock 231 with an NP 242 transfer case. Now my issue is, I can't get the transfer case out of 2 high. Is this a normal issue with the 242? If not, has anyone else had this problem? I can wiggle the shift mechanism and it moves, but the shift arm coming out of the t-case will not move. I haven't tried putting any real pressure on the shift arm for fear of breaking something. From what I have read the 242 is pretty stout, which is why I do not want to replace it. If it's something simple, I would prefer to do the work myself. I'm fairly new to the working on an off road vehicle world, but I've been working on vehicles for years, so I can do most of the work myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's the NP 242 with the three bolt tail shaft cover. Not sure if that matters or not. Thanks again.

Do you know the previous owner? Maybe they put a bad one in it, or maybe they broke it

Usual trick is to get on flat ground and put the transmission in Neutral to release driveline binding. The handle should pull back with a solid tug, not a yank or anything hard. If it doesn't I'd suspect the transfer case is torn up inside.

remove the shift linkage and see if you can shift the transfercase by hand. it will be tough no matter what since you dont have the linkage leverage, but try it in nuetral. if it shifts, then most likely they did not use the linkage from the 242 and just installed the transfer case with the old 231 linkage.

You should be able to shift it to 4h while in gear. Have you tried it at a slow roll? Sometime they need to turn a little. Mesh up so to speak. I have had this issue with both my 231 and 242.

when i got my 90i could not shift it out of 2 high also. the handle would move a little but it would not shift. i sprayed the linkage and let it sit. it then started to loosen up. how ever when i got mine it was sitting for 2 years and i have no idea when the last time the 4wd was used.

Thanks for the responses guys. I will try some of this, but again if anyone could provide pictures of either the stock 242 or the stock 231 linkage it would be much appreciated...

The linkages look nearly the same, sorry still no pic.

There is some difference between the two in the length of the arm mounted on the shaft coming out of the tcase. When doing the swap that you have, it is possible to bolt the arm on 180º from its correct position. In that case, when you pull the shifter it attempts to push the lever the wrong way, past 2wd instead of down into 4hi PT.

Also, I believe it is possible to have it maladjusted enough that the arm from the shifter is inline with the arm on the case, in which case it wont move either.

Have someone lay under the Jeep and verify which direction the shifter is moving the arm on the tcase.

I wouldn't exactly call the 242 stout. Rating numbers aside, I'd take a modded 231 any day. They're known for loosening up the planetary gear axle pins in the differential. Doesn't really sound like the problem here though.

I wouldn't exactly call the 242 stout. Rating numbers aside, I'd take a modded 231 any day. They're known for loosening up the planetary gear axle pins in the differential. Doesn't really sound like the problem here though.

Really?

Why can't anyone talk about a 242 w/o sombody else chiming in w/ this crap? Some of us like our 4hi-FT position, and won't give it up.

You might try the forward/reverse trick, or jack one front wheel up to take the tension/static torque off the drivetrain so isn't bound up. Not sure if that's your issue or not, but it's easy and worth a try.

Really?

Why can't anyone talk about a 242 w/o sombody else chiming in w/ this crap? Some of us like our 4hi-FT position, and won't give it up.

Yes, really.

I've personally had 3 go bad and heard of many more. So what do you mean by crap- unless you're referring to the tcase itself?

Guys, chill out with the flaming. Its not helpful at all...

@PapaPump, thanks for that info, will deff give that a try!!!

@Kastein, what is the forward/reverse trick?

Thanks again guys for all the help, it is greatly appreciated!!!

Back