• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not charging

Mike Mike

NAXJA Forum User
Kids, 85 with the 2.5. Added a wound 240 amp GM alternator. Hooked up the brn field wire and it's not charging. 10v at the battery, 7v on the field wire and nothing coming out of the alt.
Alternator was built about 10 months ago, no miles on it. Bench tested yesterday at an alternator shop and tested good.
He's been building this thing for over a year and we're down to the end and now this.
Anybody got an answer for us?

What kind of alternator? How many pins at the connector? What are the tiny letters near the pins?

I'm thinking it is likely a CS 130 alternator (GM internally regulated)? If it is a CS 130 they have several different varieties that wire a little differently.

I believe it's a CS130. The wiring is, Red wire from terminal S to Bat. terminal on alternator, Brown wire from terminal F to Brown exciter wire on Jeep.

Is the brown wire battery voltage from the ignition switch? In most setups you should get the same voltage at the coil plus that you get at the alternator in either "F" or "I" pin,

I'm not real familiar with the 85 and I can't get to my reference because of a dead mother board on my other puter.

The CS 130 is internally regulated, you have the the large red wire going to the battery (output) and a wire from the ignition switch going to the "I" pin. Some configurations the ignition switch power wire goes to "F". If it just has a "F" use "F", if it has "F" and "I" use "I". In some configurations "F" is for the low voltage idiot light.

They normally use the same power source for the ignition coil "plus", that that splices and goes to the "I" pin on the alternator. If the ignition coil plus wire has a ballast resistor, tap into the circuit before the ballast resistor.

Just some generic info, like I said, I have no access to my reference library right now. What I am giving you is general stuff and not specific to your vehicle.

I've used Chevy CS 130 alternators in a Jeep before, some have different connector pin letter designations/configurations, most all have either an "F" pin or an "I" and a "F" pin. The other pins were pretty much irrelevant for my application.

I hope I helped and didn't confuse. And just for fun,do an ohm test from the alternator case to the battery negative, it has to have a good ground. I put one in on an oil covered mounting bracket, simple but dumb, no ground, a real head scratchier that one, but an easy solution.

Found this, may be helpful.

.http://www.scribd.com/doc/23641349/Service-Manual-Delco-Remy-CS-130

Last edited:
Some internet research and I found out the alternator shop set up the plug for the alt wrong. The exciter wire should be on the "L" pin and not the "F" pin. 400 watts of off road lights, head lights on bright and strobe lights running. Idles with 13.4 volts showing on my meter.

Back