• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No voltage to radio!

RamlebXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Old radio worked, new one doesnt! Tested the wires and theres no current from the pink or violet/orange. Checked the fuse on the block, it looked fine replaced it ne way and still nothing. Whats the deal with this i dont know the wiring to well on these jeeps just from the diagrams ive seen. What else could be wrong?

got a 5spd? i have personal experience with a leaking master cyl. leaking oil onto the fuse panel below the dash.... causing the backside of the fuse panel to become soft, causing on-again off-again connections on the radio.

It's an auto, and i checked the block to make sure nothing funny was going on.

Is it possible to just hardwire it to the battery and the starter relay (whatever the terminal behind the battery that has the hot from the starter)??? I don't mind running lines, and if I have to turn the radio off manually thats fine too. I would prefer not, but if it has to be done.

Last edited:
What year is your XJ? My sis in law has a 99 that was doing some funny stuff one of which was no radio power and there was a fuse on the PDC under the hood that was blown causing it.

Its a 89 4.0 the jeeps been completly worked oove the last few months, only thing i have neglected was the wiring and thats because everything worked fine when i aquired it.

Was looking at the FSM for an 88 and it shows there's a 5A inline fuse in the violet/orange wire. Might be something to check, it shows most of the power coming from the cigar lighter and the clock circuit.

i spent about an hour trying to hunt down that 5amp inline fuse, no luck. I think I'm just going to hardwire it to the battery, I'm not worried about draining the batt since its going to have dual yellowtops come summer, and I'm OCD when it comes to my vehicles. But if anyone can chime in on this as to where the fuse location is, or any other possible causes to this dilema it would be welcome. I'm not going to tackle this project until the weekend so I have plenty of time for a hit list to put together to solve this.

How are you checking for voltage? Light or meter? since you don't have power to both the switched and constant voltage you are looking at two different issues.

Check all your fuses both sided for power. (there are little tabs that you can probe when th fuse is in the box.. if you are not getting power to either side it's could be the in line fuse at the distro block under the hood. if your gettng power to both sides then its in between fuse and the deck.

Remember to turn the key to "ON" for switched - Happens more then people think.

anythign else not working Cig lighter, dash lights Etc.
let us know what you find.

Back