• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start on the old 96er, with clues

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
My '96 XJ has been my daily driver for years/decades now and she's got 220k miles behind her. My Mom's car needed some work so I traded cars with her while I get hers done. She doesn't drive nearly as much so it's only been started once every week for about the last month. On Tuesday of this past week Mom leaves the key in the ignition and turned forward to the on position so she can close the windows. Well, she forgets to take the key out so it stayed in that forward position until yesterday when she went to start and it was totally dead. Yesterday she and a neighbor jumped it 3-4 times, the engine starting each time with a little gas pedal then it stops.

So I get on scene today and charge the battery up real good, and crank to start without giving any gas pedal and it doesn't start. So I charge again and try to start WITH a little gas pedal and it starts right up, but you have to keep the RPMs up to keep the engine going. After starting I let the engine run at about 1500 rpm for about a minute, and as soon as I let off the gas the engine goes back down to idle and dies immediately.

So at least we know the engine runs, which cuts out a lot of guess work. Now I need to figure out why it won't stay running.

Any ideas? What should I check?

Thanks.

PS. All fuses are good and the fuel filter is only a year old.

Did you actually charge it with a battery charger or did you just jump it? How old is the battery?

Can you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key on.Just on, not to start. If not then my guess is that the pump is dead.

I just jumped the battery to start but I charged it for a good while with the other car, maybe about 10 min. When it started the starter was definitely cranking at full speed.

The battery was made Dec 2021.

Fuel pump winds up when the key is turned to the on position.

Those are the classic symptoms of a low voltage re-boot of the PCM. Feather the gas to start it, and drive it a few minutes. The PCM will re-learn idle, and it will start and idle as normal after that.

Back