• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No one loves VA?

nateo101 said:
Dear Nathan,
anybody want to go? I know I can at least get 2 or 3 guys I think.....

I am competeing in VROC April 2...I would be interested in going to get an idea of what to expect and to practice let me know what weekend will work, I can get at least 2 or 3 more rigs other than mine...Greg

nateo101 said:
yeah I saw that....I have to work until 6pm that day.....interested in heading up there on saturday if we can get enough people?

anyone else is welcome as well...

Good news! (Sorta.) The ride fell through today, so we're going to do it tomorrow (Sat.) around 12-12:30. Hope to see you there.

Ahh.....I have to be back in the burg at 4pm and it pretty much takes me an hour to get to you all.....if you all start earlier in the morning(10ish?) then give me a call and wake my ass up!

bigwoody....I can do the first weekend in march? Between the both of us I think we can get enough people.....I have a 3.5" lift but no lockers though if you are interested in doing the stock/slightly modified class.

Oh well. The ride yesterday was fun. Maybe next weekend.
As far as the legality of 'wheeling Devil's Ditch; the Rangers don't mind it, but they don't appreciate XJ's doing donuts until their muffler rips off. I'm pretty sure that they specifically don't appreciate that.

just for the record devils ditch is OFF LIMITS!!!!!! I know there's a thread around here somewhere...

So who all is going to Camp Jeep?

I'll be there but I'm going ez on it, only running intermediates. The kids will be with me.

Look for me in this and give me a shout.
latest96av2.jpg

I just got done making a survey of trails in the Harrisonburg area. Got several maps, talked to NoVa Jeepers who run out there all the time and the Park Service.

There are lots of gravel roads, which are called trails but really arent. Not much you couldnt run in 2wd vehicle. Lots of the trails are closed 6-9 months of the year. Others are only open during specific hunting seasons and are only open to hunters when they are open. The rangers will fax you a listing of the roads that are open/closed if you call the ranger station for the area you are interested in.

The DeLorme map book is a good reference. It shows a lot of trails that dont exist anymore or it lists jeep trails that are really hiking trails. Google maps has less on it than the DeLorme map book but its a pretty good resource and is more readable. I print them out and tape them together and compare it with DeLorme.

There are three trails worth mention in GWNF from Harrisonburg North.

1) Flagpole. Its a great first timer run. It has one rock "ledge" of about 6 inches on a slope. There is a bypass if you are driving a Commander or are a real chicken. Flagpole is open in the winter and is a blast with 12" of ice on the trail. The ice sheets break and create some challenging steps especially in the off camber sections.

2) Salt Shed. Several challenging mud pits, one that is 4' deep that is pretty much the domain of the FS Trucks on 48's and a couple of fun water crossings that run from 1-4' deep depending on where you ford them.

3) Second Mountain. I havent driven it but its suppose to be fun. There is some sort of private-park service fight over the right of way going on. Park Service says its open.

4) Dictum Ridge. This has a rock section that is actually hard going uphill and is technical going down. The pictures (www.NovaJeepers.com search) make it look pretty interesting. It also has a steep hill next to the rocks. Lots of folks have flopped/rolled off the rocks and into the trees. Recovery is a pain because of the private property next to the trail and no way to get a rig perpendicular to the trail.

The two best things about Virginia that I have found are Crozet and Big Dogs. both have trails that run from stock to insane. Big dogs has two more runs this year. 6000 acres, lakes, canoes, fishing (excellent), cabins, camp sites, showers, flush toilets and 60 some trails. Crozet has dozens of trails. My personal favorites are the two stream beds, especially uphill on the west stream and the seriously off camber new trail cut by NovaJeepers. I actually hate off camber, the seat is halfway up my spincter so running this trail has helped to get me over it and made me a better driver. Lots of other trails with ledges, drops and plenty of stuff that I have been to squeamish to run, yet.

John

nosigma said:
2) Salt Shed. Several challenging mud pits, one that is 4' deep that is pretty much the domain of the FS Trucks on 48's and a couple of fun water crossings that run from 1-4' deep depending on where you ford them.
is that the trail that runs along dry river? and one end is close to the rocky part of dictum?

Talk about raising the dead!

sparkchaserXJ said:
I figured it would be easier to bump an old thread than start a new one.
True that. I would love to do some snow wheeling someday are any of these trails open in the winter and get snow?

Plenty of snow up there and thats when the most trails are open too. I

John

FitchVA said:
is that the trail that runs along dry river? and one end is close to the rocky part of dictum?

yes, salt shed is the one we ran back in november. the "salt shed" is the red shed we saw when we turned off of 33 at the trailhead

-Rick

Small side step, but, anyone know of any decent mtn. bike trails in the valley? I know of some near VT (old farm?) Just got a new Diamondback and I've been itchin' to try it out.

Back