• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No 4x4....WTH?!?!?!? Help needed fast!!

Do you have cash? :D

OK, I am fairly certain that 4LO is engaging just fine. My street and driveway are covered in ice and snow, driveway is at a pretty good slant. Popped it in to 4LO in the street,tapped the gas lightly and the XJ crawled up the ice covered curb and driveway with no issue...pulled like I recall 4LO doing any other time I engaged it.

4HI, I get nothing. Did the engage and turn thing Jacobs suggested, no binding at all. Was able to get myself in a position to grab the driveshaft and turn it, front drive shaft does turn when parked.

New thoughts?

Stang5lgt said:
If 4lo is working 4hi should be working. That is weird. I live in SE Aurora. Mile West of E470 off Quincy. If want stop by I can look at it.
You must live down the way from me, I am at Picadilly and Smoky Hill right over by Eaglecrest.

Would love to stop over, shoot me an addy and let me know how late is too late...gotta run and grab the sick kids some soup and OJ.

From what you describe, the t-case shifting into 4-lo, and the front driveshaft spinning freely when parked, sounds like a bad front diff to me. That just happened to me a couple of months ago. 4-lo will get you over a lot of things without 4 wd when your front diff is shot. My front locker busted in such a way that there was little noise, and really wasn't visible with the diff cover off.

Fred

OK, new piece to the puzzle that I wasn't thinking about...

Front axle is a Vac Disconnect HP30 from a 91. Shift fork modification has been done to make the 4x work. Was done last year at a reputable shop and I have had 4x4 working since that time.

Didn't you say you just recently had some work done on the vacuum system? You mentioned that the vac bottle was missing, and that something had just been done right?

Huh? The driveshaft should not spin in 4wd because the t-case is coupling the front and rear together, the shaft should spin in 2wd IF the front axle is not engaged (or on the ground).

If the shaft spins with the Tcase in 4wd and the wheels on the ground, there is a problem on both ends of it, the CAD is not engaged and neither is the Tcase

TIFF has this for sale in the F/S section.

The Unit is a 99', so unless the axle is a retrofit from a much earlier XJ, it does not have a vacuum disco.

In park, with all 4 wheels on the Ground, and the T-Case in 2WD, the front DS will not turn. The reason is because a 99' has no front axle disconnect.

I did read the info from TIFF about the front DS turning. Somehow, I doubt that, as it would mean a front axle trouble. Not too likely. I am more likely to believe the issue with grinding in 4H as mine has done that when the linkages are dry and rusted.

From the discussion here and in the F/S forum, I doubt there is much wrong with this unit and it sounds street driven.

Either way, it sounds like TIFF <Tiffster, IIRC> is motivated to the extreme to move this machine.

The axle is a retrofit from a 91, posted on the previous page. The shift fork modification was done to it last year and I HAVE HAD 4 wheel drive since that time. Last year during the blizzard for sure!

I know that the DS was turning yesterday while I was underneath it. Got the dirty hand print on my pants to prove it.

Yes, I am motivated to the extreme to sell the XJ, but I am not going to screw someone over with it if there is a serious problem with it. Not that type of person. Kind of why I posted this issue here, have had a lot of interested on the XJ both here and CO4x4 so want full disclosue on any issues. Had I known about this problem 2 days ago when it was at the shop I would have had them look at it then.

THANK YOU ADAM!!!!!

He was nice enough to crawl around under it and see what is what. Not the linkage :) It's the shift fork on the axle. Apparently whatever was holding it in place is no longer holding it in place and the fork can move on its own unlocking the front axle.

OK so how is this fixed? I did not see the fix when it was done last year so need some help on this one. I recall reading something about a zip tie, but that doesn't seem right.

oooh zip tie on the little shaft keeping the fork in place... or a couple of them stacked up to fill that gap..

Should a thought of that while we had that cover off. :)

Yeah, I thought of it as I was driving...I know I read that someplace...should be easy enough to do, but I may wait until I get home and see if I can get that rod out and sleeve it so the problem does not come back.

Was just reading, a new one piece axle shaft would fix the problem as well.

Since I dont have a spare shaft sitting around I will go with the zip tie solution.

Again, thank you!!!

TIFF, I just saw your post and searched and found the 91 retrofit comment.
As soon as I saw that, I thought "The "FIX" came unfixed".

Glad Adam helped you <Big thumbs up!>

Some folks use band clamps on the axle when the fork dies.
Others stack ties behind the vacuum motor shaft to keep the fork in place.

Absolutely, a better fix would be to swap over a one piece axle shaft from a later model...

But, you could leave that to the next owner :D

Ron

Thanks Ron.

Right now I am so frustrated with this whole trying to sale the Jeep process I am damn near sick to my stomache. Never have I had so much trouble selling a car. I got people calling begging me to hold it then no showing when they are supposed to be at my house to see it :mad:

I guess maybe I should just deal with the Craigslist crazies, at least that way I have a better chance of selling the thing.

Would be ething if I was trying to dump a problem Jeep on someone, but here I am trying to the be up and up seller trying to fix crap and disclose everything I can...and that seems to scare folks.

Not even wanting to deal with it right now...but...about to go out and fix the 4 wheel drive with one gimpy shoulder, then off to get the scheduled oil change and then maybe off the side of a cliff...

Back