• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Jeep Renegade

Agree to disagree.

You'll never see anything like the 4.0 again, you'll never get solid axles front and rear in a mainstream competitive vehicle (the wrangler is NOT a mainstream car, that's a niche product... It just happens to be VERY successful). The platform this is built on is solid and proven all around the world.

Agree to disagree.

You'll never see anything like the 4.0 again, you'll never get solid axles front and rear in a mainstream competitive vehicle (the wrangler is NOT a mainstream car, that's a niche product... It just happens to be VERY successful). The platform this is built on is solid and proven all around the world.
you got rig of your XJ for a land rover, noone cares what you say anymore.

KIDDING! id rock the Renegade if it was offered with the diesel and 6 spd

KEEP THIS UGLY **** PIECE OF $HIT IN ITALY IT IS NOT A JEEP JUST A GLORIFIED FIAT!!! God PLEASE HELP US REAL JEEPERS !! STOP THIS INSANE USE OF REAL JEEP NAMES LIKE CHEROKEE AND RENEGADE PUT ON PUKE FUGLY PIECES OF CRAP THEY ARE BUILDING!!!

2440218-6371530097-he_ma.jpg

Lmao

Not bad. Much better looking than that Cherokee mess (still not great though, I don't like the side windows)
Thing I worry about is power, even the 2.4L doesn't claim a lot.
And 2000lb towing? Heck a Subaru can tow more than that. I know it isn't designed as a tow rig but it would be nice to be able to tow something other than a rowboat.

I like it; in fact, I would be allot happier if they named it the Cherokee opposed to the current turd using its name.

Agreed.
I also agree on the side windows Maybe getting rid of that black strip above them would help.

the wrangler is NOT a mainstream car, that's a niche product... It just happens to be VERY successful). The platform this is built on is solid and proven all around the world.
I think JKs attract allot of Hummer owners ever since GM ditched that brand. They're massive in size with less cargo space than my folks
WJ. It's not something that interests me.

Agreed.
I also agree on the side windows Maybe getting rid of that black strip above them would help.
The 2014 cherokee is shaped like a suppository. At least this one has the dimensions and general silhouette of our XJ. It's a tad too cute,
and tad too bubbly. I most especially don't like the downward curve of the beltline against the fenders; I'm also concerned about the
rearward visibility with those fat pillars. Having said that, it's not the worst thing I've seen. I think that I'd like it more if it looked like this...
but it's hard to tell until I see one in person.

Right. Just gonna come right out and say it: I like the Renegade - at least, what I've seen of it so far.

Qualifying that statement: I've been XJ-less for three years, thoroughly dislike the Compass / Patriot (I tried to give them a fair shake; they just didn't cut it), and owned a 1999 Subaru Forester for a time since the XJ. That last one is a mistake I will *not* repeat.

The reality is that Jeep is not going to make another XJ. It just won't happen. They'll keep the Wrangler as the 'real' Jeep with some off-road ability nods in the direction of the Grand, and everything else will be in the lineup to either boost sales and/or bring down CAFE numbers for the vehicles with the capability we'd want.

I hate to say it, but this is the reality - across the board - of the auto industry today: smaller engines, better economy, fewer vehicles suited to a specific task. For anyone who remembers the 1970s, this may seem oddly-familiar, but with a slightly different twist on things.

One thing I will add, though: before moving to the US in 1998, I briefly owned a 1987 Fiat Panda 4x4. This was the old, all-flat-glass, beer-can-doors-and-panels Panda, which is worlds apart from the one Fiat is making now under the same name. I had the upmarket Sisley model (RHD and blue, for anyone who Googles it). It may have had all of 998cc to power it and no low range, but that little ****er ploughed through everything, had grip like you wouldn't believe, and was just *tough*. It also had coils up front, leafs in the rear, and a unibody - not unlike the XJs I later owned. Steyr-Puch may have designed the 4WD system on it, but the rest was off-the-shelf Fiat. And it never let itself - or me - down once.

Granted, that semi-ancient Fiat isn't the Renegade, and it certainly isn't the XJ. But given the history of what Fiat can do with a capable small off-roader, the Renegade deserves a fair shot. If they fail on the trail, fine - but if they outdo the Compass and Patriot in the process, I'd call it a win.

I definitely prefer the urban yan edition, though the sidemarker up front might be worth keeping to break up all of that white.

If they named this one the Cherokee and the current Cherokee the Compass I would be a hell of a lot happier with them.

Oh well, a name is a name. Seems like a vehicle with some decent specs... will be hard to modify, and doesn't have solid axles, but that's life these days.

If they named this one the Cherokee and the current Cherokee the Compass I would be a hell of a lot happier with them.

Jeep didn't have a name for the Renegade up until a few weeks before the Geneva auto show. If that ass-pill of a Cherokee wasn't already on the market than I'm sure they would-have entertained naming it the Cherokee.

Wait, is it true the 1.4L Multiair turbo won't be available with an automatic?
A multiair with a Dual Dry Clutch Transmission would be fun.

Now, that would be interesting.

Back