• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New car ~$30k need reccomendations

POSJ said:
I bought my wife an S60 2.4 Turbo AWD awhile ago, it's a 2002. It's a good car for top end and handles pretty well, but the turbo lag is pretty noticable sometimes. They may have addressed this in the newer models. I love this car and it is very comfortable but it isn't a sports car by any means. The after market is pretty minimal compared to japanese cars but it is very luxurious for $30,000.

No noticable lag here with a 2005 2.5T. I think the car has some good balls, and in the NJ/NY traffic.... that has proven to be quite important. Moreover though, it is a very comfortable and fun car to drive. We drove from the East coast to Texas and back and was very comfortable, even considering we had both of our dogs (labs) in the car with us. The stereo is quite good as well.

I bought a 04 GTO in late 04. It was a killer car and I miss it daily. I've driven a LOT of a cars. And the only thing thats KINDA in the price range that may have a handle on the GTO is a E46 BMW M3 or Vette (C5 z06 or C6). Both of the above mentioned cars are a bit more $$ though.

The GTO is by far the best bang for the buck car out there today PERIOD.

My 04 handed my buddies 03 C5 Vette its ass many times on the free way and from a dig. I had a few mods (intake, long tube headers, and light tune) But anyway you look at it, its a quick car.

As for the "dont buy any thing from an American company". You need to remember these cars are made in Austraila and are NOT put together here. The engine and trans come from here, but everything else is done down. The fit and finish of the GTO is second to none. The only complaint I had was the HVAC controlls were pretty cheap feeling. Everything else was top notch.

I beat on my car on a regular basis and it took it with a grin and always asked for more. Only twice did it get a lil sketchy and that was all my fault and being stupid. The GTO and E46 M3 have that in common, they make you feel like you are a better driver then you actually are. =)

Note to you if you get one, stay away from 03-04 Mustang Cobras.

Thats one of the few cars that really really put a hurting on me.

forget that get an 03-04 msutang cobra terminator and you will kill alot of cars including the gto... o and if you get the evo get the mr if u can find it...

o and the only thing that u will see of corvettes is there front end in your rear view... my friend has a 03 cobra with a k&n filter, magnaflow x pipe and catback. this weekend he killed a evo mr, 450hp bolton lt1, corvette c6, racebuilt 5.0 and this is all tractionless. cobras are unique and if you can get ur hands on one do... full exaust, pulley, and a tune you will be a killer on the street.

Beej said:
Sure, but its even uglier than a Taurus...

(n)

Whats wrong with a tarus ? I always liked the SVO's....

RichP said:
Whats wrong with a tarus ? I always liked the SVO's....

Taurus SHO?

6906-1992-Ford-Taurus.jpg

yes cobras will take a squat on a gtos hood... lol i love when it burns out catches traction then hits full boost doin 80 and then the tractions out the window.... cobras are a gift from god...

Last edited:
Have they improved the STI's from the WRX engine setup. I test drove a WRX and the Turbo lag was too noticeable. Other than a friend of mine buying one and tiring of it in 6 months, I don't have any experience with them. By the way he traded it for a off the lot Charger R/t.

The GTO's are very nice cars, but the sales staff haven't been stupid enough to let me drive one yet.

Theres also the srt-4? neons... turbos, could compete with an sti IF it wasnt FWD. Straight line car. Problem is... its still a neon.

I'm not looking to go out there and drive like an idiot. I'm not going to go out and drag in the streets. I enjoy having power when I need it, I also enjoy the image of said vehicle. I think burnouts are kinda lame and stupid. I also wouldn't want to beat the shit out of a car I dropped $30k on. Hell I don't beat the shit out of my $3000 cherokee and I wouldn't beat the shit out of a $500 car either. :)

Last edited:
i agree about burnouts i just think thats an allaround beautifull car. looks. power, and its uniqueness.. they were just talkin bout whos faster and stuff... lol i myself am purchasing one in a year and a half...

I was a service manager for a Lincoln Mercury dealer, and I know there dealing on the 2006 LS. Great handling , fast, gps, great warr. Earlyer ones had some trans issues, these are pretty much bullett proof. Personally, I'd rather have the Porsche, but, for a 4dr sedan the LS is nice.

r/c-pilot said:
I was a service manager for a Lincoln Mercury dealer, and I know there dealing on the 2006 LS. Great handling , fast, gps, great warr. Earlyer ones had some trans issues, these are pretty much bullett proof. Personally, I'd rather have the Porsche, but, for a 4dr sedan the LS is nice.

I had one of those with a V8 as a rental for 3 weeks. Pretty nice and fast too. A little forced induction would make it quit a sleeper.

Back