• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to know where to start..

aroncull

NAXJA Forum User
Alright so yeah.. thats right.. finally I am ready to go out and rub the rubber and get some pucker factor going...

I have done alot of work on my jeep and its as good as its going to get till I get the D44 under it which is in the next month or so..

I have yet to really wheel my jeep on a trail yet.

Ive don some mud and some "offroad" stuff but i havnt really wheeled..

I was hoping to get some advice as to what trails I should go to for starters..

97 sport
4" lift fenders cut 33's [stock gears 3.55 [for now, thats next.]
I have tow points and a hilift.. and thats really about it beside all of the mall crawl crap.

I am hoping to stay in the Roosevelt/Arapahoe area as I am in Northglenn..
also I have "The best of Colorado 4- wheel drive roads" book by 4WD books
and the "Guide to Colorado backroads & 4 wheel drive trails". I see maps and the ratings there but just wanted some pointers for a noob wheeler to go and wheel for the 1st time and have fun.

Maybe left hand canyon?
Ward road?

Anyways its late enough and I am pretty out of it.
But please let me know what you guys think...
thanks

Aaron

Try Bill Moore Lake. It is easy and close.

Really suggest you don't go by yourself.

When your by yourself, because you have to worry about getting stuck or breaking down, you really can't push your vehicle hard enough to begin to find it's, and your own, limits.

Maybe go on one of the runs that is set up as a group event. Having experienced wheelers and spotters with you can really increase your fun and decrease the risk of vehicle damage.

Both Naxja.org and Colorado4x4.org often set up group runs.

x2 on Bill Moore for a trail that can be done with a stock vehicle and has some more challenging obstacles to attempt.

Thanks for the replies guys.... Awesome!!

Yes i would like to join Naxja.. maybe after i wheel a bit 1st though..
Bill Moore Lake sounds about right to start.. anything more then that or the harder stuff on it.. i will wait till i have company... as far as going out in a group goes i feel that i need to get my feet wet a bit before i am wheeling with other people which in the long run is what i would like to do.. wheel with other people..

Aaron

BTW thanks again guys..

Got ya a GREAT start with the book "Guide to Colorado backroads & 4 wheel drive trails" (vol#1 ?)
Might be a little further than what you wanna drive, but....
Check out the San Juans in it and look here...
http://www.narrowgauge.org/4x4/html/4X4.html
The trails are easy and their just down right PRETTY!
Just watch the shelf roads.
(Poughkeepsie Gulch... aint done it. Black Bear... has a slight pucker factor, but overall easy if you PAY ATTENTION!!)
OH....
and DONT go alone.
Why you feel like you gotta get your feet wet before you wheel with others?
it a GREAT way to start out.
Just Do It!!!
icon12.gif

X4 on the "Don't Go Alone" sentiments.

Way before discovering NAXJA and books, I just picked a spot on a map and did it. Some were super easy, and some gnarly.

One thing is to keep a list of your favorite trails and invite your friends along.

Back