• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need specs on Hesco Aluminum head

Most of the gain is probably from weight reduction going from iron to aluminum.

If it's tested for output on a dyno, weight is a moot point. There are advantages to an aluminum head, I just don't like mixing metals due to the differing coefficients of thermal expansion.

Umm? :greensmok

The butt dyno. :greensmok Weight reduction doesn't add hp, but helps with the acceleration and adds more to the "feel" of more power. That's what I meant by "gain" as in noticeable results. I apologize for the confusion. :) I might have exaggerated about the role of weight reduction playing a larger role than the flowing characteristics of the head. But, I'm pretty sure that it somehow plays a role in feeling the extra oomph during acceleration. Overall, for the price of a new hesco aluminum head, you could go with a nice stroker or boost setup. That is just my opinion.

If it's tested for output on a dyno, weight is a moot point. There are advantages to an aluminum head, I just don't like mixing metals due to the differing coefficients of thermal expansion.

I understand. Not sure how it would work out with the jeep 4.0, but there are many engines that run a cast iron block with aluminum heads from factory. For example, Ford's 4.6, 5.4, newer 3.8's, etc.. A lot of the 5.0 mustang guys also like to run aluminum heads and don't have any problems that are caused by their cast iron block/aluminum head combo.

FYI, going away from the single valve spring to double or tripple will reduce the bind as the wire diameter of the springs are smaller. Old school solution.

there are many engines that run a cast iron block with aluminum heads from factory.

...don't have any problems that are caused by their cast iron block/aluminum head combo.

They don't have any problem until the engine overheats. Then the aluminum head can warp and crack because it expands at a faster rate than the block, and also blow the head gasket. The chances of head gasket failure during an engine overheat are much less when the block/head are of the same metal.

Back