• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Leak down test help

Ok remi so i got a call from my mech and he said to come pick it up... i asked him so what was wrong with it? he said its still wrong... he sounded stumped and told me that its most likely the computer.. now what computer will work with a 97 of course a 97 but will a 96 or 98-99? i dont know what else to do know... i have a crack in the muffler would loss of back pressure have anything to do with it?

Ok remi so i got a call from my mech and he said to come pick it up... i asked him so what was wrong with it? he said its still wrong... he sounded stumped and told me that its most likely the computer.. now what computer will work with a 97 of course a 97 but will a 96 or 98-99? i dont know what else to do know... i have a crack in the muffler would loss of back pressure have anything to do with it?

It is not a computer. I tried 3 different computers with mine and it still did it. If you get any other computer but 97 you won't pass smog as the 98+ is going to complain about a lack of a component that 97 didn't have nor need but is needed on 98+ for smog check. If you're 97 automatic I have a computer you can borrow and test with. Btw did your mechanic pop the valve cover and have a look see?

No he did not pop the valve cover... he went through the ASE way of testing the injectors n what not. And yea I'm a 97 auto 4x4. I explained to him that I don't think it to be a computer that I kno soemone else with the same problem and that u have tried a few diff computers, he told me thatyou could have somthing else wrong giving u the same code that just swapping the computer won't fix... but he seems to think it is the computer or somthing in the wiring... I'm pretty sure its not the wireing because I have shook and twisted it while running and nothing happins, napa wants a arm n a leg for a computer and I don't trust one from a junk yard.. if you would be so kind that would be sweet!

No he did not pop the valve cover... he went through the ASE way of testing the injectors n what not. And yea I'm a 97 auto 4x4. I explained to him that I don't think it to be a computer that I kno soemone else with the same problem and that u have tried a few diff computers, he told me thatyou could have somthing else wrong giving u the same code that just swapping the computer won't fix... but he seems to think it is the computer or somthing in the wiring... I'm pretty sure its not the wireing because I have shook and twisted it while running and nothing happins, napa wants a arm n a leg for a computer and I don't trust one from a junk yard.. if you would be so kind that would be sweet!

OK, he's a useless mechanic from the sounds of it. Anyways, shoot me a PM with your number and we can figure out when to hookup for the computer loan (I got a 97AUTO PCM) but I think the answer is underneath the valve cover. Oh yeah, hopefully you didn't end up paying him for this diagnostic...

He has fixed everything our fam has brought to him within the last 15 years, but ya I was not to happy with his conclusion and ya he charged me 85 big ones witch I thought to be a stright rip off, I will pop the valve cover this weekend, the only reason for me not doing this already is I don't know what exactly to be looking for under there.. this is really starting to cramp me, I have been dog sick for the last month due to my crohns and I have had to miss doctors appt because of this! sry had to vent :)

He has fixed everything our fam has brought to him within the last 15 years, but ya I was not to happy with his conclusion and ya he charged me 85 big ones witch I thought to be a stright rip off, I will pop the valve cover this weekend, the only reason for me not doing this already is I don't know what exactly to be looking for under there.. this is really starting to cramp me, I have been dog sick for the last month due to my crohns and I have had to miss doctors appt because of this! sry had to vent :)

You paid how much for this????? Umm..... I'd call him up and say that I want my money back. He didn't tell you anything you didn't know and to top it all off he told you stuff that is not substantiated by anything...

Back