• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a cheap SYE? Try this!!

Have you read the website????? Looked at the pictures????? Read about making a cheaper driveshaft????? All I ask is that if you are going to comment that you at least do your homework. Look at the resulting length of the shaft.

A bunch of us are working on finding an off the shelf shaft that can be used. I guess if you have all the money in the world to buy your equipment instead of build it yourself, that is fine. Some of us enjoy not following the crowd, but breaking some new trails.

Oh, by the way. I believe the shaft you show is for the late model, not the early model. There is a significant difference.

old_man said:
Have you read the website????? Looked at the pictures????? Read about making a cheaper driveshaft????? All I ask is that if you are going to comment that you at least do your homework. Look at the resulting length of the shaft.

A bunch of us are working on finding an off the shelf shaft that can be used. I guess if you have all the money in the world to buy your equipment instead of build it yourself, that is fine. Some of us enjoy not following the crowd, but breaking some new trails.

Oh, by the way. I believe the shaft you show is for the late model, not the early model. There is a significant difference.

Yes,I Ive read your entire site!Like your LA page!Just trying to put out some additional info besides vibe issues!If youve seen my homepage you "know" I make/build everything I possibly can,unfortunately I dont have any access to turn output shafts!!!!
Another benefit in my case is that the front/rear driveshafts are interchangeable!

Last edited:
Dirk Pitt said:
Try reading the original post again. :rolleyes:

I was referring to the guy who mentioned the RE part....

:rolleyes:

old_man said:

Well said, old man-- and thanks for it!

RCP Phx said:
Another benefit in my case is that the front/rear driveshafts are interchangeable!

that's definitely a strong argument- what setup are you runnning that has both shafts the same <I assume you are using a stock XJ front shaft in back?>

STL, JJacobs is going to loan me an NP242 so I can take a look to see if a low cost SYE can be devised.

I admitt that having the same shaft front and rear would be nice, and I have contacted a manufacturer about making custom flanges, but for now, I came up with a way that allowed me to make a complete SYE w/shaft for less than a hundred bucks with a little scrounging.

burntkat said:
that's definitely a strong argument- what setup are you runnning that has both shafts the same <I assume you are using a stock XJ front shaft in back?>
It an AW4/8.25.I have a custom rear shaft but the front is useable as a trail spare!Now if you could find a cheap source for this you would really have something going!
wrangleryoke1.jpg

The two driveshafts I have are the same length, or within 1/2". The rear is made out of larger tube, but the front shaft WILL install on the rear easily. (done it)
I running an AW-4, rear Dana 44, 231 w/JB HD SYE.

RCP Phx said:

Looking at this pic, there is probably some way to change the flange out for that yoke and you'd be set to run your shafts front and rear.

But as I have said repeatedly....THIS SETUP WILL WORK FINE FOR ME, AND MANY OTHERS WHO DONT WHEEL TOO HARD, BUT STILL WANT/LIKE/NEED AN SYE.

Fergie

Quick question, I have been kicking this conversion around for awhile now (more trying to find the cash for it than anything!) and I'm curious about this:

Would the 96+ Hack and tap work with a 95 and older NP231? ie are the spline counts the same? The 96+ RE H-n-T comes with the bit, and hardware and the flange for $88 according to thier site. I read somewhere that the RE flange is Spicer compatable, and I also read somewhere that the 96+ Ford Explorer front CV-DS is also a Spicer flange.

So if the spline counts the same, all I'd need is a junk yard explorer front shaft that's been lengthened correctly, a rear axle yoke to convert to the 1315 (I think) U joint on the ford shaft, the 96+ RE HnT, and the 97+ housing....right??

That sounds about correct. However, you may want to tr and find a yoke that would fit on, instead of the flange, that way can run your front shaft if you break your rear.

Othere than that, our idea doesnt sound wrong to me, but I'd double check with Old_Man or someone else that is more knowledgeable.

Fergie

I run a front shaft in the rear also did the newer output shaft conversion and got a RE hack and tap flange from a buddie for $20 I cut the output shaft so I could use a front shaft as the rear.
DIG IT!

RCP Phx said:
It an AW4/8.25.I have a custom rear shaft but the front is useable as a trail spare!Now if you could find a cheap source for this you would really have something going!
wrangleryoke1.jpg
Can you buy just the yoke and do a h&t on a newer tailshaft cone?

Several of you have mentioned utilizing the front shaft in a rear configuration and I have considered this in the past for many reasons (cheap, one trail spare, etc).

To be honest in my mind this is where the money can be saved. Personally I think that this conversion is wonderful and I like all of the info presented by all who have contributed.

If I was to do it, I think I would do the HD SYE and I would like to use a stock front shaft (from a xj if possible).

I have the aw4, 231 and D35 (4dr at 4.5" of lift, 33's) and I guestimate that i would need a rear shaft that was clost to 36" (guestimate sitting still) and the front shaft is significantly short (33" or there abouts). For those of you who are utilizing xj front shafts in the back you are at 6" of lift? And you have SYE's??

What is wrong with my math? How long is the front shafts (short and long)? If I knew that I could use a spare front shaft I would do this in a second!!

I would really appreciate any info for those utilizing a front xj shaft!!
Thanks,
Michael

Looks like Currie is no longer selling the seal.

Anyone got an answer for the guy above this post?

I'm going to call them and see if I can order another one Monday. I need another one for my backup tcase. I was afraid this might happen. I am working on another source and solution.

No longer selling the seal? I saw it on their site the other day. I am glad I ordered another one.

We may be able use the seal from an RE kit, or one of the other kits on the market.

Now if they would just sell a freakin snapring!!

Fergie

Back