• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NAC Events for 2013

Do you think we should hold an event at Field & Forest Campground in NH?

• Yes, NACfest at F&F and Rocktoberfest at Rausch

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Yes, NACfest at Rausch and Rocktoberfest at F&F

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Yes, but in addition to NACfest and Rocktoberfest

Votes: 33 76.7%
  • No, both down at Rausch

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters

MoparManiac

NAXJA Forum User
So I (and I know others) have been thinking about NACfest/Rocktober-fest next year already, and started discussing having one of the major events up here at Field & Forest.

I'm pretty sure I threw the idea around to some of the PA guys and they seemed open to the idea of coming up here to wheel/camp.

To those who don't know Field & Forest, it's basically a large campground (I forget how many sites, but not a problem for 100+ people) with basic amenities. There are some electric sites, there's a bathhouse in the center with showers, but very basic. It's not expensive either, it's $10 a night per person, $25 for a family. You can wake up and head right out onto the trails as they are connected directly to the campground.

There's wheeling for all levels, and all trails are marked similar to RC (green = easy, blue = moderate, black = harder, red = extreme). Plenty of wheeling to keep everyone busy for the 2-3 days. If anyone gets bored, there are MILES of class 6 roads in the area that are legal for wheeling.

The best part about this is that you are directly supporting land use in the Northeast. The two new owners of the land can use all the help/money they can get to keep this place going. I've already spoken to them and they are more than open to having the whole NAXJA crew up there.

I'll post up some pictures in a bit when I have some time to search for them. Or if anyone else has any then feel free to share them.

So with all that being said, who's up for it? I figured I would start a poll to gauge interest. I personally would like to see at least one event up here next year.

yes.

Definitely not NACfest. Most people are gonna want to get cabins for that, and we have people that come up from Maryland and beyond and technically the chapter extends all the way to Virginia:

NaxjaChapMap.jpg

No way we can host the one 'official' event at a basic campsite that decentralized from somewhere.

One of the biggest draws for Rocktoberfest has been the dinner and the amenities that campground has. If people are already thinkin that it's gonna be too cold in October and a large number get cabins etc for that event, moving it further north ain't gonna help.

Best bet is probably to do a 'spring fling' or 'icebreaker' kinda run in Aprilish.

Definitely not NACfest. Most people are gonna want to get cabins for that, and we have people that come up from Maryland and beyond and technically the chapter extends all the way to Virginia:

No way we can host the one 'official' event at a basic campsite that decentralized from somewhere.

One of the biggest draws for Rocktoberfest has been the dinner and the amenities that campground has. If people are already thinkin that it's gonna be too cold in October and a large number get cabins etc for that event, moving it further north ain't gonna help.

Best bet is probably to do a 'spring fling' or 'icebreaker' kinda run in Aprilish.

I can understand the cabin issue. It IS pretty basic at F&F. You're either tenting or in an RV/camper. There are hotels locally, but not sure if anyone wants to do that.

As far as being decentralized, what about the people who come from VT and NH? Even ME is part of the NAC and they would have a 10 hour drive to go to PA.

There is no perfect centralized location, and I'm not even saying it HAS to be NACfest or Rocktoberfest as I even gave the option for it not to be. I would just like to see at least one event up here, and I'm not sure how many people would be willing to attend a third event on top of NACfest and Rocktoberfest. With that said, I would definitely attend all 3.

Most/all of the Class 6's in NH are closed until the end of mud season, which extends into May or June.

Good point.

As far as being decentralized, what about the people who come from VT and NH? Even ME is part of the NAC and they would have a 10 hour drive to go to PA.

I understand that, but location is only half the criteria. If there's somewhere more central that has an offroad park that accomodates all levels of trails *plus* a nearby fully-featured campground that's wheeler-friendly and can support the dinner/raffle, then it's something to consider. I don't know of anywhere else in the Chapter territory that'd work as well or be as accomodating as RC/KOA.

(actually, the Cove in Gore, VA where they hold Big Dogs would be an absolutely kickass venue, but that's just about the opposite of central :laugh: )

Not that it helps you guys much, but the Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area is progressing nicely (and just hosted this year's Jeep Jamboree actually) and could probably work out as a second venue for one of our events too, just to change it up a bit.

Obviously I like Rausch and Twin Grove because its only 90 minutes from my house .... so my contribution will be a bit selfish in nature.

I vote for leaving NACFest and RocktoberFest as is, and creating a third annual event at the place you mentioned.

People are always complaining that there aren't enough organized events for this chapter. This is a great way to add a third organized run, and to give everyone the opportunity to wheel up north.

Some people will come to all three, some will come to two, and some will come to only one. Which is just fine.

There are a bunch of folks from PA, NJ, and MD who aren't active on the boards but show up to either NF or RF as their only wheeling trip of the year. If we move one of those two events up north, those folks won't come. Its just the way it is.

I absolutely recognize that the "up north crew" has been traveling many hours for both these events for years now .... and the group that comes down has been getting a LOT bigger. Which is AWESOME! So I wouldn't throw a fit one way or the other.

If a third event isn't an option ... maybe bounce NF or RF back and forth year to year?

I just know that the years NF or RF is up north, there will only be a handful of PA/NJ/MD people coming up. Maybe that's ok.

I honestly don't mind the trip to PA twice a year. I actually enjoy it.

I didn't know if anyone else would be willing to make a similar drive up north.

If you guys want to make it a third option, I'm all about it.

Driving 6 hours instead of 4 to VA or NH over PA isn't gonna break me. Work for me just blows donkey dick right now and I can't even take a Friday off. Once I get a new working gig it should be better.

What if we had this in August of next year?

Would that be decent timing for everyone?

I know that there is a BBQ place that provided food for a local club this past weekend (I was there) and it was actually really good. We could always do that as well.

I voted to keep Nac-fest and Rocktoberfest in PA but would be 100% in to see another event at F&F during the summer.

I think adding a 3rd event is the way to go.

What if we had this in August of next year?

Would that be decent timing for everyone?

I know that there is a BBQ place that provided food for a local club this past weekend (I was there) and it was actually really good. We could always do that as well.
not to mention that this site supports fall crawl as well which in the past few years was 200+ people

I'm down either way.

I think that Nacfest has a good turn out at rausch so why change it. If there was a lack of turn out then I could see change. Why not just hold a third event there and see what type of turn out you get before changing something that works.

New Hampshire, camping, change of colors and Jeeps all mesh together so well..

I'm heading up at the end of October, i have a cabin rented on Kancamagus for the whole family.

Pitstop caters also, then can even do all the cooking on site id be game for an aug shindig.

Back