• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

multi tunnel capable wireless routers

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
OK, been working on this for a week now and spinning wheels. Apparently the normal run of the mill routers can't multi-tunnel or have more than one cisco VPN connection up to the same vpn server/concentrator/ASA box.
Yea, I did the pass thru enable but the first vpn connection get taken down as soon as I try to fire off the second and third. Tried searching brands on multiple tunnel multiple cisco vpn clients, no joy.
Suggestions please.

I'm absolutely no help with this, but I enjoy reading about your IT problems and the solutions offered up. Really hammers the point that I'm as ignorant about IT as I always thought I was.

What kind of router are you behind when you are doing this? The reason I ask is that most "run of the mill' routers only support a "1-to-1" NAT even with VPN pass-through enabled thus allowing only one IPSec or PPTP Tunnel outbound.

Last edited:
Tech support notes from a D-Link WBR-2310

"VPN Passthrough
The device supports VPN (Virtual Private Network) passthrough for PPTP (Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol), L2TP (Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol), and IPSec (IP Security). Once VPN passthrough is enabled, there is no need to create any Virtual Server or Port Forwarding entries in order for outbound VPN sessions to establish properly. Multiple VPN connections can be made through the device. This is useful when you have many VPN clients on the Local Area Network. "

Further reading also indicated that most router manufacturers are starting to support this feature via new models or firmware upgrades in older models.

Last edited:
I tend to avoid zonealarm like the plague, never straight forward on the prices, must be Ex Cisco people running it, the $149 looked OK till you added on the subscribed 'extras'...
Going to order a D link and see how that works out.
My current is a Linksys wtr54GS V1.1 running DD-wrt vpn sp2, works great just can't get the additional VPN tunnels up though I may be doing something wrong.

*sigh* I really dislike having to come up to speed on something this quick that I never bothered with before... but that seems to be the norm here, might as well get used to it...

Totally agree about the ZoneAlarm stuff...gives me chills just thinking about it...

Hopefully the D-Link will work out okay for you. A few other articles indicated that Linksys was sketchy with this technology at this point...some got it to work and some couldn't get it to work even with the new firmware...

I feel ya about learning stuff quickly...its the "here fix this" mentality that will drive ya to drink!

Let me know how things go or if I can be any more help!

I'm absolutely no help with this, but I enjoy reading about your IT problems and the solutions offered up. Really hammers the point that I'm as ignorant about IT as I always thought I was.

Imagine the shock when you think you know something, understand it, use it all the time and along comes a problem that makes you go WTF is going on. Nobody knows everything.

:D :D :D :D

I guess there is a reason why you need each machine to have its own VPN tunnel to the Concentrator instead of putting an ASA/PIX out with the router...? is this that POS thing with the printers you were talking about?
maybe I just answered my own question, bbq + pos... you are offering a hot spot wifi plus point of sale and there fore can't open your network to the wifi?

maybe I am assuming too much.
so yeah learn something new every day, I have been working with Cisco VPN for 5 years now and had no clue that you could only run one through most consumer routers...

I guess there is a reason why you need each machine to have its own VPN tunnel to the Concentrator instead of putting an ASA/PIX out with the router...? is this that POS thing with the printers you were talking about?
maybe I just answered my own question, bbq + pos... you are offering a hot spot wifi plus point of sale and there fore can't open your network to the wifi?

maybe I am assuming too much.
so yeah learn something new every day, I have been working with Cisco VPN for 5 years now and had no clue that you could only run one through most consumer routers...

Tell me about it, came as a shock to me too, spent hours doing the WTF thing and yea, the POS's are getting spotted all over the party area and we also provide normal wifi for the customers which is a new thing that resulted from me bringing that linksys in to setup the remote users, allowed me to configure the vpn, avaya soft phones, etc outside the firewall. Then I ended up with the iPhone and iTouch and every time I turned it off to take it home the pres, vp and 4 managers would come trotting to my office cause their iPhone/touch stopped working :laugh3: then my phone would ring from the store, 'customers can't check their email, what happened' :D :D :D

I just hate having to learn it so dam fast... Hey if you have a cisco contact ask them if the anyconnect has the same limitations. I need to turn that one on too, two managers got 64bit vista laptops on sale when Circuit City went under and bought them without consulting ME and the cisco vpn does not work on them.

Back