• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mechanic/Machinist Recommendations

RKTJeep

NAXJA Forum User
I recently move from Alabama to Colorado (CO Springs) as part of a job transfer. 2 weeks prior to moving out here I picked up a 88 MJ Pioneer with a 4.0 and 4x4, only 114K miles.

The problem is that it appears to have developed a noise in the bottom end. I originally thought it was the lifters, but it sounds worse once the oil is up to temp. I currently don't have a garage to work on it and for the first time in my life i ended up taking a vehicle to an autoshop. They pulled the valve cover and the rockers to look at the bearing surfaces, they said everything checked out. They also said the top end was getting plenty of oil.

The chassis has very little rust and i got a pretty decent deal on it so i don't mind putting money into it. I need it to be reliable to make the commute from Manitou Springs to Pueblo during the winter. I'm thinking of picking up a used engine and having it freshened up and adding some minor performance upgrades. While i'm at it i'd like to swap in an AX-15 since first gear in the BA10/5 makes a not so nice noise and it doesn't like to go into second when cold.

Does anyone have any recommended shops to have the machining and assembly work done for me? Normally i'd do it myself i just don't have the space. Sorry for the wall of text, I'd appreciate any recommendations you may have.

Fred and I are using
Burt's Auto Supply  

Address: 501 W Colorado Ave, Colorado Springs, CO 80905

Phone: (719) 633-8146

Ive used them for the past seven years and have always had great work done by them. It does get a little pricey some times but its always worth it

Talk to Lynn and tell him Flores sent you his way. Between him and Jay they know about every and anything about machining motors, picking piston and cams, as well as assembling the whole mess

Flores

I'll third Burt's, and Frank will 4th it, as he sent me there. Good guys, quality work, deliver on time, fair pricing.

Thanks for the recommendation guys!

I'm eager to get it into a dependable condition. I will probably stop by their shop sometime this week.

On a related note if anyone has a Renix engine, HO head and/or intake, AX-15 I would gladly discuss a deal to take them off your hands.

James

I have an HO head with only a few thousand miles on a valve job, an intake, and I or Flores will have a Renix block which works fine except for pissing oil despite multiple rear main seal changes, and new oil pan.

I have an HO head with only a few thousand miles on a valve job, an intake, and I or Flores will have a Renix block which works fine except for pissing oil despite multiple rear main seal changes, and new oil pan.

I'm definitely interested in the head and intake. Please PM me what you're asking for them.

Do you think the RMS leak is due to wear/damage on the crank surface? Is this something that could be sleeved?

Whoops, my bad. And that's only after 2 beers. Sorry, I meant to say Renix head with a few thousand miles on it. :confused1

I stopped in at Burt's earlier this week and spoke with Jay. They seem like a good group of guys, Jay recommended I check out FN Jeep for a donor engine since I could get a better deal on a rebuildable engine instead of a runner. So i found a 91 XJ with an engine that overheats, and bought it with a rebuildable guarantee, they'll have it pulled out by tuesday. Jay also recommended that i get an installation estimate from K&S automotive in Old Colorado City, so those guys are supposed to be getting back to me next week.

Now all i need to do is track down an AX-15.

I appreciate your offer Flores/Fred, but I wanted to put a rebuilt engine in anyway and I'd hate to rebuild an already decently running engine.

Jay also mentioned that guys in the past have had better luck with ground stock cams, with increased lift only, no increase in duration. I was wondering if anyone on here has had experiences with ground stock cams. My only concern is grinding through the case hardened material and getting premature failure.

James

Back