• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower Dash Mounted Speakers

96XJCLASSIC

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone here mounted speakers on the lower dash below the steering column and below the "cubby hole" on a 84-96?? I have the stock tweeters there but with the doors off they just aren't enough and I am thinking about mounting some 4x6's there right beside the tweeters.

Id think carefully about what i put there. Only because my sport did not have tweeters located tehre so i do not know what they're mounted to but if there isnt some kind of solid (metal) mounting bracetry id highly recomend against it. The tweeters do little more than vibrate but even 4x6's will shake and rattle if attatched to the plastic lower dash.

In addition, the higher frequencies that a tweeter delivers will be lost when aimed at your knees. If you want to add tweeters up front, I'd suggest a surface mount unit that mounts to the A-pillar, paired with some good mid range units in the door or lower kick panel.

I am not adding tweeters. The AMC Engineers allready went and screwed that up and mounted them low. I am talking about adding some mids.

Can someone help me understand why this was moved from mod tech to street & performance? I see how changing speakers is a mod, but I fail to see the connection between speakers and street or performance.

Not that anyone is going to see this post now, but I've been considering making a pair of brackets to hold some 5.25" coaxials down there since I don't wheel with the front doors on. Has anyone tried to fit 5.25's in there and can say without a doubt they WON'T fit? I don't want to waste my time, but I'd like to have some music on the trail.

bbaker80 said:
Can someone help me understand why this was moved from mod tech to street & performance? I see how changing speakers is a mod, but I fail to see the connection between speakers and street or performance.

Not that anyone is going to see this post now, but I've been considering making a pair of brackets to hold some 5.25" coaxials down there since I don't wheel with the front doors on. Has anyone tried to fit 5.25's in there and can say without a doubt they WON'T fit? I don't want to waste my time, but I'd like to have some music on the trail.

I am in the same exact boat as you.

bbaker80 said:

Easy, on NAXJA interior modifications have always been associated with the "Street" scene. His question will get more exposure in here because of this. Modified Tech is for items related to Supsension Modifications, Drive Train Mods, Hard Parts, etc... People with just pass it over in Mod Tech which is why it was relocated............ :lecture:

91 Jeep Project said:
Easy, on NAXJA interior modifications have always been associated with the "Street" scene. His question will get more exposure in here because of this. Modified Tech is for items related to Supsension Modifications, Drive Train Mods, Hard Parts, etc... People with just pass it over in Mod Tech which is why it was relocated............ :lecture:

Search for "stereo" and see where most of the stereo related threads are, not street and performance (although there are some) but in OEM and mod tech. Also, take a look at the post counts for those threads. Seems to me that mod and OEM tech see more replies than this forum does. Anyway, I was here back when we didn't have VBulletin software for this forum, so don't try and tell me it's always been "street scene" stuff, we didn't have a "street scene" back then.

bbaker80 said:
Search for "stereo" and see where most of the stereo related threads are, not street and performance (although there are some) but in OEM and mod tech. Also, take a look at the post counts for those threads. Seems to me that mod and OEM tech see more replies than this forum does. Anyway, I was here back when we didn't have VBulletin software for this forum, so don't try and tell me it's always been "street scene" stuff, we didn't have a "street scene" back then.

Excuse me sir! It has been like that since we've had this forum then, Happy? I guess the mod moved it here for shits and giggles.................:rolleyes:

91 Jeep Project said:
Excuse me sir! It has been like that since we've had this forum then, Happy? I guess the mod moved it here for shits and giggles.................:rolleyes:

So what you're really saying is you can't explain it either, but you want to be a jackass and try and talk down to me. Great, go back to high school. :wave:

The lower pannel does have metal backing the plastic and has many electrical boxs down there but some small speakers should fit. I wouldnt put 51/2 there but what about three inch? They sound decent in my opioion

i have tweeters mounted on the door on the delete plate for the power windows. sounds pretty good, exept you hit them with ur knee when you get in and out somtimes

Yes I plan to do this in my MJ with a pair of 4" 2-ways and a pair of 6x9's in the back since I'm going to remove the doors. The passenger side looks straightforward but the drivers side is giving me a little trouble, the lower dash is curved at the end near the hood release and also there is some stuff back there, fuses or relays or something. I've made a couple 3/4" spacers that I will attach to the lower dash that should solve both problems but I haven't finished the drivers side one yet, it's a little tricky to match the curve of the dash on the back side of it and have it be level on the front if that makes sense. I'm hoping to get this done this holiday weekend.

bbaker80 said:
So what you're really saying is you can't explain it either, but you want to be a jackass and try and talk down to me. Great, go back to high school. :wave:

Actually I tired to explain it but it wasn't a good enough answer for you. You apparently know whats what around here so I guess you didn't even need to ask the question. Been out of high school for a while bud............. :wave:

I mounted some 4in. speakers there I dont recall what kind they were but they sound good. I got them from a friend of mine that has a car stereo shop. They did not fit exactly to the plastic bosses that were there. I had some plastic rod in my shop from something else I was working on, I cut some small lengths of it and drilled them. Then I glued them so they would line up with the holes in the speakers. They dont rattle or vibrate at all. Gorilla glue is the s#!t.

Back