• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for '97 aw4 controller/manual shift. (i have searched)

hpi_jeep

NAXJA Forum User
been searching google/pirate/here for a write up to "manually" shift aw4. with my doubler my jeep go's from 1st to 2nd too early for my liking. on top of this I have to stop to put either case in high. I'd much rather just be able to put trans in 3rd or 4th gear to achieve the speed I desire.
anyone care to share a link I desperately desire?

Last edited:
been searching google/pirate/here for a write up to "manually" shift aw4. with my doubler my jeep go's from 1st to 2nd too early for my liking. on top of this I have to stop to put either case in high. I'd much rather just be able to put trans in 3rd or 4th gear to achieve the speed I desire.
anyone care to share a link I desperately desire?

Montana Fabrication's AW4 transmission override?
http://montanafab.com/products/
Prevent a CEL from being set in later model OBDII AW4s, which puts the trans in a fail-safe mode.

I have the radesign rail shifter in mine and I like it (98 XJ, cel comes on but doesn't put me into limp mode... Dunno where that idea came from?).

Montana fab is more plug n play style but also more expensive.

Otherwise you could just wire up a couple of switches to do it. Not too many other options on the market right now.

I have the radesign rail shifter in mine and I like it (98 XJ, cel comes on but doesn't put me into limp mode... Dunno where that idea came from?).

When trying the traditional way of wiring manual control over the 1st and 2nd solenoids, my 2001 XJ would go into a limp mode, bypassing the normal shifting pattern.
I believe it only happens on the late model XJs that have input and output speed sensors built into the transmission.
Montana Fab's kit was the only method I could find that controls 1st and 2nd gears without setting a CEL. Not cheap but it does work.
Nice to keep the trans in the proper gear for steep downhills.

Montana fab is more plug n play style but also more expensive.

Otherwise you could just wire up a couple of switches to do it. Not too many other options on the market right now.

are the solenoid's and wire colors the same as pre97? I dont remember if the 97 has an input speed sensor or not. I actually knew a little about the model differences in the aw4 from my reading when i done the 4wd swap. but that has all left my brain since last year.
I would be all about some switches. I have just been getting conflicting search answers as weather this would work on '97+ and avoiding the "limp" mode
Thanks for the help this far guys! I almost pulled the trigger on the bajaII however i would like to avoid another shifter. my center console is getting busy with triple sticks and PRND shifter

I think the limp mode only comes into play if you are switching between manual and auto while in the D position in the manual linkage.

I am usually in N and/or stopped when I switch between manual and auto mode. I rarely switch modes on the fly.

Back