• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking at various steering options,,, input wanted please

I don't understand the impassioned opposition to steering dampeners.

Any energy absorbed by that dampener is energy that is otherwise absorbed by steering components or you if you don't run a dampener.

I just don't see how dampening some of that energy is a bad thing.

Because mike, steering stabilizers are for nerds!

Because id rather feel direct input and whether parts are loose so i can address any issues. I hate hiding the issues.
if you run one i don't care. just don't think it's gonna save your life...

Because id rather feel direct input and whether parts are loose so i can address any issues. I hate hiding the issues.
if you run one i don't care. just don't think it's gonna save your life...

I can still feel when components are worn out. It doesn't make the wheel dead.

I only recommend it as added insurance, not the end all solution.

Because id rather feel direct input and whether parts are loose so i can address any issues.

I figure if I just inspect my junk regularly, I'll catch such things.

And, it's not like there is no feel for the steering with a dampener. You're still 100% mechanically connected from steering wheel to front tires, and your not dampening all the energy... just some.

I guess I just don't see that as an issue. I agree you don't need one... but I prefer to have one.

But I run a sway bar too...

I ran without either for a while and much prefer having both back for highway use.

I am not ashamed of being a nerd... :D

I don't understand the impassioned opposition to steering dampeners.

Any energy absorbed by that dampener is energy that is otherwise absorbed by steering components or you if you don't run a dampener.

I just don't see how dampening some of that energy is a bad thing.
In part because "TOO" many feel dampers are a magic panacea that fixes a crappy front end. Little Joey says "I put on double dampers and my steering feels great", then ends up having the front end fall apart on the trail.

For quite a few years I didn't run a damper as I like feeling what my front end is doing. Then one week we hit a couple of trails that had lots of 6" pebbles for 1/2 hour stretches. Gawd did I hate those things as that steering wheel was whipping back and fourth like a hooker on a bronc ride. Well, after that I decided a damper wasn't so bad after all and put one back on. The next time I hit that trail it felt more like a bumper car ride should feel like.

I've got mine mounted from the frame to the drag link so it's easy to disconnect. http://www.myunibody.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=640

to be clear i dont have an opposition to stabilizers or sway bars. if i had a few bucks for an antirock i'd run one. but i dont feel that stabilizers are needed, and i certainly wouldnt waste a bunch of time or effort to put one on. i wouldnt go out of my way to take one off though.
i just thought the statement that it's unsafe to run without a stabilizer on the highway is a bit of a stretch.

to be clear i dont have an opposition to stabilizers or sway bars. if i had a few bucks for an antirock i'd run one. but i dont feel that stabilizers are needed, and i certainly wouldnt waste a bunch of time or effort to put one on. i wouldnt go out of my way to take one off though.
i just thought the statement that it's unsafe to run without a stabilizer on the highway is a bit of a stretch.

Your face is a bit of a stretch

Back