• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locking hub conversions

I got my rotors from Tri County Gear in Pomona CA, machined & ready to bolt on. I think they ran me about $200 for the pair.

Goatman said:
....If MM uses their Bronco II hub, I would assume it's not very strong, just like when Warn's kit first came out. Considering this, and since Warn hubs are generally stronger than MM hubs anyway, I would spend a few more bucks and stick with the proven product.

My .02

Warn hubs are very strong & I never had any problems with my Warn hub conversion, the ONLY down side to the hubs is the price, $85 per for Warn hubs (I bought a spare) for spares I'd carry the Bronco II hubs if they fit.

Clemson 4 wd

Clemson 4 Wheel Drive in Clemson SC has the Wrangler full cast rotors sitting on the shelf modified and ready to go. Did not cost $200/pr as i recall either. Been a while and cannot yet find the receipt. They had offered the best deal i had found a couple years ago when i ordered from them.

I guess after almost three years of use the Warn hubs have worked flawlessly. I know is mucho bucks but since i plan on keeping this '98 indefinately and will see heavy highway and much moderate off road use i am sure will pay off. Now i'm thinking of a trip up to Alaska....

Sure does make a difference in steering heaviness and noise, not to mention some improvement in mpg. Way glad i did the conversion.

XJCHUCK72 said:
Warn's kit is stronger alloy shafts and you have to change the rotor. Milemarker you don't have to change the rotor, but there is no strength advantage.

I don't know where that rumour came from but it is false. Rotors indeed have to be cut on the MM kit.

SO I hear lots of Kudos for the Warn kit....

But what about the MM? Does it not come with an alloy outer?

I'd like to have the alloy shafts inner & outer eventually, and run weaker hubs. Much easier to change out a hub .... assuming they go in/out the same way they did on my Bronco....

So we are looking at about $750 for the warn kit plus maybe $175 for rotors. Comes with strong hubs (I'd prefer weak arse ones) and an alloy outer for sure...

Milemarker is about $630 plus the same ~ $175 for rotors. Have potentially weaker hubs and still don't know about the shafts.

I emailed MM about the outers and whether or not they are alloy so hopefully I'll hear from them soon....

brcomputer said:
SO I hear lots of Kudos for the Warn kit....

But what about the MM? Does it not come with an alloy outer?

I'd like to have the alloy shafts inner & outer eventually, and run weaker hubs. Much easier to change out a hub .... assuming they go in/out the same way they did on my Bronco....

So we are looking at about $750 for the warn kit plus maybe $175 for rotors. Comes with strong hubs (I'd prefer weak arse ones) and an alloy outer for sure...

Milemarker is about $630 plus the same ~ $175 for rotors. Have potentially weaker hubs and still don't know about the shafts.

I emailed MM about the outers and whether or not they are alloy so hopefully I'll hear from them soon....

I don't believe my MM outers are alloy but the hubs are the same thing regardless of kit.

OK, so would warn outers work with the MM kit I wonder? Just curious....

I guess I'll have to fork over the major dough for the Warn setup and just try to get some hubs that will act as fuses...

Vintage, the hubs that come with the warn kit are premium? DO they have a standard one that will fit? Will hubs from MM & Superwinch, etc fit the kit as well, or are they specialized Warn hubs just for that kit? I'd think that if the Bronco II hubs fit it then I could get spares from any company I choose ... right?

brcomputer said:
OK, so would warn outers work with the MM kit I wonder? Just curious....

I guess I'll have to fork over the major dough for the Warn setup and just try to get some hubs that will act as fuses...

Vintage, the hubs that come with the warn kit are premium? DO they have a standard one that will fit? Will hubs from MM & Superwinch, etc fit the kit as well, or are they specialized Warn hubs just for that kit? I'd think that if the Bronco II hubs fit it then I could get spares from any company I choose ... right?

all those questions can be answered here
http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=401792

Ahhhhh..... so I can run whatever fits a ranger/BII ..... excellent .....

$580 ....? Wonder where he got it from?

Guess this means that a ranger rotor would work as well?

Jeep Biscuit said:
I don't know where that rumour came from but it is false. Rotors indeed have to be cut on the MM kit.

Sorry for posting, SPOBI, I believe I read it here on the boards, :eek:

So basically from what I gather from this is that, the MM and Warn share the same parts, but Warn has alloy outer shafts, right? And other than the two unnique parts the rest comes from a Ranger or Bronco II front end.

Anyone have any info on the 5x5.5, I keep hearing this one is supose to be stronger.

I know Goatman has some good info, he knew about the realtion to the Ford parts, but he's probably having funin MOAB already.

XJCHUCK72 said:
Sorry for posting, SPOBI, I believe I read it here on the boards, :eek:

So basically from what I gather from this is that, the MM and Warn share the same parts, but Warn has alloy outer shafts, right? And other than the two unnique parts the rest comes from a Ranger or Bronco II front end.

Anyone have any info on the 5x5.5, I keep hearing this one is supose to be stronger.

I know Goatman has some good info, he knew about the realtion to the Ford parts, but he's probably having funin MOAB already.

That would be correct. Both kits are duplicates dimensionally. The only thing unique to both kits are the outers, spindles and hubs. The rest have generic part numbers that can be sourced at any parts house. (including the locking hubs)

Also, I've heard the rumour of the MM kit not needing machined rotors elsewhere too.

mm hubs

I have been running the mm kit now for about 3 months and have had no problems with it. It makes a big difference on the highway. i have not had a cheance to do much hard wheeln yet so as far as strength goes i am not sure. i am very happy with the kit and do not regret buying it over the warn kit.

Re: mm hubs

haligan said:
I have been running the mm kit now for about 3 months and have had no problems with it. It makes a big difference on the highway. i have not had a cheance to do much hard wheeln yet so as far as strength goes i am not sure. i am very happy with the kit and do not regret buying it over the warn kit.

And what did yew pay for yours?

The 5 x 4.5 kit uses a hub that is very similar to the Bronco II/Ranger hub, the 5 x 5.5 kit uses standard locking hubs and comes with the Premium hubs I believe.

I spent about $1200 to do the hub conversion on mine (not including the inners), would I do it again? No way. The axles & stubs were way beefy, but it's still a D30. I'd sink that $1200 into a D44.

$1200? What did you get?

Warn kit - $800
rotors - $200
spare hubs - $80

What else?

I figure if I use Ranger rotors instead of paying a chunk for new machined Jeep rotors and go with the milemarker kit it should be pretty cheap.... especially if I pickup some ranger hubs as spares....

I also got a long side inner cause I had a disco axleshaft prior to the hub conversion. That was $65 used. I paid $850 for my hub conv. kit at the time. Dont forget about tax.

AH ....

Well, NOW we could probably do the same thing for a lot cheaper eh? :D

Especially if one can use stock ranger rotors ...

I paid about 650 for my MM kit. The rotors I paid about 100 for the set and I machined them my self. I just couldnt see paying that much just for the Warn kit alone. especially when I will probably not even push the MM kit to its limits. Yes the added strenght is nice if you wheel hard but I had to be honest with nyself. I just dont need something that much stronger. But i guess if you can wait and save the money or just have it laying around then go for the more expensive(stronger) kit.

brcomputer said:
AH ....

Well, NOW we could probably do the same thing for a lot cheaper eh? :D

Especially if one can use stock ranger rotors ...

Yeah well we'll see I suppose. I built my front 44 for about the same money.

Enjoy, carry extra balljoints. :D

Hubs

The idea of having manual hubs like older jeeps, scouts,and broncos sounds cool, but what are you really gaining? I know the hubs cost 100-140 each, but they last approx. 15 years. You are going to spend at least $500 to $700 more and you have to get out and lock them. I guess it would be nice if you have a front locker, but now you have packable bearings-soooo - You have to pack them!

Back